Anthony Freedman has the Brisbane Winter Racing...
Mick Burles’ seven-year-old The Cleaner is fast making a name for himself following a fantastic year.
The gelding was a $61 chance to win the 2014 Cox Plate just weeks ago but is now offering odds of $15 in the betting market at Ladbrokes.com.au.
The Cleaner has swept the floor of his competition since February this year, winning five of his seven starts and finishing runner-up in the other two. It’s an impressive record and the gelding is undoubtedly in-form ahead of the $3 million Group 1 Cox Plate (2040m) at Moonee Valley this Saturday.
The gelding has been unbeatable this season, winning his last three starts including the Group 2 Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes (1600m) and Group 3 JRA Cup (2040m) over the exact distance of the Cox Plate.
However it’s worth noting that after 43 career starts, these two races were The Cleaner’s first step up to black type racing. He has yet to race, yet along win, a Group One race which could be a disadvantage against his very classy and talented competition.
So the question remains, can The Cleaner win his first foray into Group One racing by taking out the 2014 Cox Plate?
Cox Plate Horse Form: #6 The Cleaner
- Barrier: 14
- Weight: 59kg
- Jockey: Steven Arnold
- Trainer: Mick Burles
- Owners: Mr J M Lowish, Mr W J Fawdry, Mr T P Burt
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Savoire Vivre (GB) from Dash Of Scotch
- Career: 43:18-10-2
- Win: 42%
- Place: 70%
- Last 6: 212111
- Prize Money: $848,270
- Track: 6:4-1-1
- Distance: 5:1-2-1
- Current 2014 Cox Plate Odds: $15
Why The Cleaner Can Win The 2014 Cox Plate?
- Peaking in terms of race form following three consecutive wins
- Last start winner after coming from the Group 3 JRA Cup (2040m) which was the exact distance of the Cox Plate
- Moonee Valley track specialist boasting four wins and two placings from six starts in the Cox Plate course
- One of the best Win/Place records on the field (42%/70%)
- Is notorious for finding the front and setting the pace of races, which could be used to his advantage
Why The Cleaner Won’t Win The 2014 Cox Plate
- Hasn’t raced, yet alone won, a Group One race which puts him at a disadvantage against many of his rivals
- Only two black type races in his 47 career starts
- Will jump wide from barrier 14 which hasn’t brought a winner home since 1983
- Too old? No 7YO has won the Cox Plate since Battle Heights in 1974
The Cleaner is without a doubt one of the best runners in terms of spring campaigns but is he too “fresh” considering he only stepped up to black type racing in September? Without a Group One title to his name he’s already below a lot of the horses running this prestigious race but he could beat them all home.
Back The Cleaner at Ladbrokes.com.au if you believe he has what it takes to win the 2014 Cox Plate.
Open your online betting account today to receive $500 worth of bonus bets to use on your favourite spring races.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.