Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Arguably leading the charge of the internationals in Saturday’s Moonee Valley feature, classy three-year-old Adelaide it yet to finish outside the places in his short but impressive racing career and is an excellent chance of success in the 2014 Cox Plate (2040m).
Securing a commendable race record of three wins, three second place finishes and one run for third over his seven competitive starts so far, Adelaide has been a standout performer for renowned Irish trainer Aidan O’Brien from his maiden appearance on course; a comfortable three length victory in the Irish Stallion Farms Maiden (1609m) on October 26th last year.
Returning to racing in exceptional form this year, the Galileo colt finished a close second in the Group 2 Prix Hocquart (2200m) in France first-up before returning to Ireland and the winner’s circle in the Group 3 Gallinule Stakes (2011m) at the Curragh on May 25th.
Laying a great account for himself when finishing second to Eagle Top in the Group 2 King Edward VII Stakes (2414m) at Royal Ascot on June 20th, Adelaide again travelled abroad; this time to the United States for a particularly fruitful tilt at feature races.
Running second to Mr Speaker in the Group 1 Belmont Derby (2011m) on July 5th, the stallion out of Elletelle charged home to secure a maiden victory at the highest level of racing in the Group 1 Secretariat Stakes (2011), and continued to impress when finishing third in the Group 2 Prix Niel (2400m) last time out on September 14th.
Allocated the somewhat awkward barrier 13, will Adelaide continue in his successful globetrotting ways in the 2014 Cox Plate, or will one of his classy rivals find the line in the clear?
Cox Plate Horse Form: #11 Adelaide
- Barrier: 13
- Weight: 56kgs
- Jockey: Ryan Moore
- Trainer: Aidan O’Brien
- Owners: J Magnier, T Magnier, W Webb, J Murray, J Ingham, D Smith, M Tabor
- Age: 3YO (Northern Hemisphere aging)
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Galileo from Elletelle
- Career: 7-3-3-1
- Win: 43%
- Place: 57%
- Last 6: 212213
- Prize Money: $815,279
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 3-2-1-0
- Current 2014 Caulfield Cup Odds: $6.50
Why Adelaide Can Be The 2014 Cox Plate Winner
- Well trialled over distance; two wins included one at Group 1 level (2014 Secretariat Stakes)
- Gets in Well with weights – required to carry just 56kgs
- Partnered by leading jockey Ryan Moore – three times previously, including Group 1 win
- Noted performer on tracks of all grades in all corners of the globe
- Has taken well to time in Australia
- Record speaks for itself; is without doubt a leading chance for success.
Why Adelaide Will Not Win the 2014 Cox Plate
- Allocated wide and awkward barrier 13; may get caught up early
- May be too young; four-year-olds have dominate the Cox Plate in recent seasons
- Yet to be trialled competitively in Australia
- Lines up for the Cox Plate first-up
- Arguably facing his biggest test to date in Australia’s premier weight-for-age race.
Leading online bookie Ladbrokes.com.au is currently offering the best odds on the 2014 Cox Plate.
Open an account and deposit at Ladbrokes.com.au today to take advantage of up to $500 in bonuses!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.