This weekend Sydney’s premier horseman Chris Waller launches a triple-pronged attack on the 2014 Cox Plate field looking to win the weight-for-age classic for the first time including Royal Descent who is desperate to shrug her second placegetter status.
The talented Redoute’s Choice mare is one of 14 in the field for this year’s $3 million Group 1 W.S. Cox Plate (2040m) that runs as Moonee Valley Race 8 on Saturday.
She’s joined by her Group 1 winning stable mates Sacred Falls ($6) and Foreteller ($21) and pays $11 to win in the latest Cox Plate odds at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Drawn in barrier three the five-year-old comes off four straight second place finishes for the season at Randwick most recently behind the fellow Waller-trained He’s Your Man in the Group 1 Epsom Handicap (1600m).
She was also second in a Sydney Group 1 the start before taking on fellow Cox Plate hope and dual Doncaster Mile winner Sacred Falls in the George Main Stakes.
Nine-times tested in elite level company, Royal Descent is yet to win a Group 1 of her own but is full of class having been defeated under two lengths by Saturday’s Cox Plate favourite Fawkner ($4.20) in the Caulfield Cup over the mile and a half last spring.
So can she break through with an upset Cox Plate win on the weekend and hand jockey Glen Boss with his fourth win in the race?
Cox Plate Horse Form: #10 Royal Descent
- Barrier: 3
- Weight: 57kg
- Jockey: Glen Boss
- Trainer: Chris Waller
- Owners: G Harvey
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Redoute’s Choice from Mulan Princess
- Career: 20-4-8-2
- Win: 20%
- Place: 70%
- Last 6: 5×2222
- Prize Money: $1,697,780
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 3-1-0-0
- Current 2014 Cox Plate Odds: [“llink text=$11″]
Yes – Royal Descent Will Win the 2014 Cox Plate For Waller
- Gun barrier three draw that produced last year’s Cox Plate winner Shamus Award along with Northerly (2001), The Phantom Chance (1993) and Our Poetic Prince (1988)
- Is ridden by the race’s most successful jockey Glen Boss who has three Cox Plate wins to date – Ocean Park (2012), So You Think (2009) and Makybe Diva (2005)
- Mares have a descent Cox Plate record with five wins since 1997, most recently Pinker Pinker (2011)
- Nine Group 1 starts to date for five places
- Can handle the distance and will appreciate stepping up from the mile
No – Royal Descent Won’t be the 2014 Cox Plate Winner
- Chris Waller has never prepared a Cox Plate winner
- Isn’t the best fancied of the Waller contingent trailing Sacred Falls in betting
- A five-year-old hasn’t won the Cox Plate since Northerly (2001)
- Has only won four of her 20 starts (20% win rate) but has run second or third on 10 occasions (70% place rate) so could be a better place bet
- Yet to race at the tight Moonee Valley circuit – will it suit?
Think there’s enough evidence to suggest Royal Descent can surprise with a Cox Plate win for Waller on the weekend?
Then back her now online at our No. 1 recommended bookmaker Ladbrokes.com.au and for just $3 get in on their $3 million Spring Megapick promo running this Cox Plate Day!