Foreteller is one of three Chris Waller-trained horses set to run in the Group 1 Cox Plate (2040m) this Saturday, along with Sacred Falls and Royal Descent.
The seven-year-old gelding has good form following a minor placing in the Group 2 Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes (1600m) before backing up in the Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m) two weeks later. He went for an inside run to save ground which meant he had to make a play early. Foreteller was able to grab leader Happy Trails late and steal the victory from him, which was his first win since September 2013.
Foreteller is a proven winner and is in-form ahead of the 2014 Cox Plate but the biggest issue against him will be if he can stay the distance. He has run a total of 12 races over 2000 metres, but has only won two of them.
The gelding was fourth in last year’s race and hasn’t won over the distance since the Group 1 Ranvet Stakes (2000m) back in March 2013.
When he returned to defend his title earlier this year he finished second last after running very flat over the last furlong. He didn’t do much better last time out in the Group 1 Caulfield Stakes (2000m) in which he finished eighth of 12. He ran his usual honest race without any real threat.
He has seen support wane for him at Ladbrokes.com.au, with his price drifting from $21 out to $31. Is he doomed to run another non-threatening race in this year’s Cox Plate? Or will he find the speed to win over 2000m for the first time since March last year?
Cox Plate Horse Form: #5 Foreteller
- Barrier: 1
- Weight: 59kg
- Jockey: Tommy Berry
- Trainer: Chris Waller
- Owners: G G Ltd, Mr I Bruce, Mr F W Cook, Mr D M Ackery, Mr B L Mathieson, Mr R Smith, Mr K J Hunt, Mr B P Bradley, Werrett Bloodstock Pty Ltd, Mrs C M Cook
- Age: 8YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Dansili (GB) from Prophecy (IRE)
- Career: 46:11-4-3
- Win: 24%
- Place: 39%
- Last 6: 9×4318
- Prize Money: $1,869,771
- Track: 2:0-0-1
- Distance: 12:2-2-1
- Current 2014 Cox Plate Odds: $31
Why Foreteller Can Win The 2014 Cox Plate?
- Jumped wide (10) last time out over 2000m distance but gets gate one on Saturday
- In-form following a win and minor placing last month
- Raced at Moonee Valley on September 6, where he came third, so is familiar with the track
- Three-time Group One winner
Why Foreteller Won’t Win The 2014 Cox Plate
- While inside runs are normally coveted, barrier one has found little success in the Cox Plate
- Only one winner has come home from the first gate since 1983, Almaarad in 1989
- Despite plenty of experience over the 2040m distance, has hardly ever won over it (2/12)
- Has a poor win (24%) and place (39%) rate
- Trainer Chris Waller is inexperienced in the race, never winning and only saddling two previous runners
- Jockey Tommy Berry has never ridden in the Cox Plate
- Too old? Only one 8YO has won since 1922 (Super Impose in 1992)
Can Foreteller tackle the 2040m distance of the 2014 Cox Plate and come out on top? Back the gelding at Ladbrokes.com.au if you think he can win!
Open your online betting account today to receive $500 worth of bonus bets to use on your favourite spring races.