Cox Plate favourites have won just two of the past 10 editions of Australasia’s weight-for-age championship so can Fawkner break the hoodoo and salute for the punters on Saturday in the Moonee Valley classic?
Of the capacity 14 starters in this weekend’s $3 million Group 1 W.S. Cox Plate (2040m) the current favourite at an easing price of $4.50 (out from $4) through Ladbrokes.com.au is the Robert Hickmott-trained Fawkner.
The Reset seven-year-old won last year’s Caulfield Cup and is now looking to become the first of his age to take out the Cox Plate since Makybe Diva (2005).
Last time out Fawkner enjoyed a win over a field of potential Cox Plate rivals in the Group 1 Caulfield Stakes (2000m) and shoots for his second win over the distance at Moonee Valley where he’s won one of his previous four starts.
Fawkner jumps from barrier four on Saturday, with Makybe Diva again the last Cox Plate winner from that barrier, and will be ridden by Nicholas Hall who has had just one Cox Plate start for a second place finish.
The last Cox Plate favourite to win was So You Think (2010) who successfully defended his title and became just the second punters’ pick to win in the past decade along with triple Melbourne Cup winning mare Makybe Diva – can Fawkner be the next?
Cox Plate Horse Form: #2 Fawkner
- Barrier: 4
- Weight: 59kg
- Jockey: Nicholas Hall
- Trainer: Robert Hickmott
- Owners: Mr N C Williams, Mr L J Williams, Mrs S J Williams
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Rest from Dane Belltar
- Career: 24-10-4-3
- Win: 42%
- Place: 71%
- Last 6: 6x7x21
- Prize Money: $2,867,751
- Track: 4-1-0-1
- Distance: 4-1-1-1
- Current 2014 Cox Plate Odds: $4.50
Yes – Fawkner Can Salute for the Punters in the 2014 Cox Plate
- Drawn well in barrier four which last produced a winner in 2005 with Makybe Diva
- Nicholas Hall stays on having ridden Fawkner for his Caulfield Cup win last year and his two most recent runs this time in – a Makybe Diva Stakes second and Caulfield Stakes win
- Geldings won three straight Cox Plates from 2006 – 2008 with Fields Of Omagh, El Segundo and Maldivian
- Is a dual Group 1 winner and has won over $2.86 million in prize money
- Has a decent record over the track (4-1-0-1) and distance (4-1-1-1)
- Won over the distance at Group 1 level defeating fellow Cox Plate hope Criterion last time out
- Caulfield Stakes has been the best Cox Plate guide in the past 30 years producing 10 of the past winners
- All 10 of those Caulfield Stakes graduates to win the Cox Plate next start ran top four in the lead-up run
- Six horses since 1984 have completed the Caulfield Stakes – Cox Plate double
No – Fawkner Won’t Overcome the Cox Plate Favourites’ Hoodoo
- Is a 7yo and no seven-year-old has won the Cox Plate since 2005 (Makybe Diva)
- Trainer Robert Hickmott and owner Lloyd Williams have never won a Cox Plate
- Hall has had just one Cox Plate ride to date but did come second
- Has a 42% win rate but 71% place rate so could be a better place bet
- Favourites have won only two of the past 10 Cox Plates with So You Think (2010) and Makybe Diva (2005)
- 7 of the past 10 Cox Plate favourites have failed to run a place
- Looking further back since Better Loosen Up (1990) only five of the past 23 Cox Plate favourites have won
- Outside4 the favouites the only other two single-figure Cox Plate winners in the past decade were El Segundo ($7 in 2007) and Ocean Park ($6 in 2012)
Think Fawkner can become the seventh Caulfield Stakes – Cox Plate double winner in the past three decades?
Then head to Ladbrokes.com.au and back him at his easing price now at the bookie rewarding its spring punters with a bonus bet valued up to a juicy $500 this season!