Green Moon failed to fire in the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m) at Flemington on October 4, but Team Williams remain confident that the Montjeu entire can return to his best form in the 2014 Caulfield Cup this weekend.
Green Moon returned to the races with a credible sixth in the Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m) at Flemington on September 13, but he was settled at the tail of the field in the early stages of the Turnbull Stakes and offered nothing when he was asked for an extra effort by jockey Steven King.
The veteran stayer returned to a semblance of his best form in the autumn when he was fourth in the Group 2 Peter Young Stakes (1800m) at Caulfield on February 22 and second in the Australian Cup (2000m) at Flemington on March 8, but he was been unable to record a race win since he took out the 2012 Group 1 Melbourne Cup (3200m).
Can Green Moon return to winning form in the 2014 Caulfield Cup or is he past his best?
Caulfield Cup Horse Form: #3 Green Moon
- Barrier: 6 (into 5)
- Weight: 57kg
- Jockey: Chad Schofield
- Trainer: Robert Hickmott
- Owners: N C Williams, Mr & Mrs L J Williams
- Age: 8YO
- Gender: Entire
- Breeding: by Montjeu from Green Noon
- Career: 31:7-4-0
- Win: 23%
- Place: 13%
- Last 5: 27X60
- Prize Money: $5,299,246
- Track: 6:0-1-0
- Distance: 2:0-1-0
- Current 2014 Caulfield Cup Odds: $31
Why Green Moon Can Be The 2014 Caulfield Cup Winner
- Green Moon won the 2012 Melbourne Cup and horses like Viewed and Dunaden have both taken out the Caulfield Cup following wins in the Caulfield Cup.
- He performed well at three starts during his autumn preparation including a close second behind Fiorente in the Australia Cup.
- He has drawn ideally in barrier six and will get a lovely run into the race.
- Green Moon finished an unlucky second behind Southern Speed in the 2011 Caulfield Cup – his only previous start in the Group 1 event.
Why Green Moon Can’t Win The 2014 Caulfield Cup
- His performance in the Turnbull Stakes was very poor and he came out of the race with a number of issues.
- He has had six starts at Caulfield for just a single placing.
- Green Moon has not recorded a race win since he took out the 2012 Melbourne Cup.
- Only one eight-year-old (Taufan’s Melody in 1998) has won the Caulfield Cup in the past thirty years.
You can find the best odds for Green Moon or any other runner in the 2014 Caulfield Cup field with Ladbrokes.com.au.
Sign-up and deposit with the leading online bookmaker to give yourself the opportunity to win $3 million thanks to the Ladbrokes.com.au MegaPick and also take advantage of the wide range of offers they have available during the 2014 Spring Racing Carnival.