Last year’s Stradbroke Handicap winner Impending...
Araldo looked as though he was going to miss out on a start in the 2014 Caulfield Cup, but will take his place in the Group 1 event following the withdrawals of Gris Caro and Dandino on Thursday.
The High Chaparral entire returned from injury with fair performances in the Listed Australian Thoroughbred Bloodstock Stakes (1700m) and the Group 3 Naturalism Stakes (2000m) before he returned to his best form with a fast-finishing third behind Junoob and Opinion in the Group 1 The Metropolitan (2400m) at Royal Randwick on October 4.
Araldo has only recorded one win in Australia, when he was awarded the Listed The Bart Cummings (2520m) on protest last year, but he is yet to miss the placings when given an opportunity over 2400 metres or greater.
Can Araldo overcome his wide Caulfield Cup barrier draw and score an upset win at big odds or will this prove too tough a challenge for the imported stayer?
Caulfield Cup Horse Form: #20 Araldo
- Barrier: 18 (into 15)
- Weight: 53kg
- Jockey: Craig Williams
- Trainer: Mike Moroney
- Owners: R & C Legh Racing Pty Ltd (Mgr: R P Legh), G G Syndicate Ltd (Mgr: G G Peterson), R Smith, G T Ryan, R S Scheriani, C J Andronis, G Kaparos, Mrs A & Dr J T Kennedy, Wright Racing Syndicate (Mgr: P J Wright) & M Moroney
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Entire
- Breeding: by High Chaparral from Alanda
- Career: 14:4-2-4
- Win: 29%
- Place: 71%
- Last 5: 3X763
- Prize Money: $217,694
- Track: 3:0-0-0
- Distance: 4:0-1-2
- Current 2014 Caulfield Cup Odds: $41
Why Araldo Can Be The 2014 Caulfield Cup Winner
- Araldo is a genuine stayer who has produced his best performances over 2400 metres and above.
- He overcame a poor barrier draw to finish third in the The Metropolitan at his last start.
- Craig Williams is the form recent jockey in the Caulfield Cup after winning on Southern Speed in 2011, Dunaden in 2012 and finishing second on Dunaden last year.
- Araldo gets into the Caulfield Cup with just 53 kilograms after carrying 55 and a half kilos in The Metropolitan.
Why Araldo Can’t Win The 2014 Caulfield Cup
- Araldo has failed to fire in his three race starts at Caulfield and doesn’t appear to like the tight-turning track.
- He has drawn awkwardly and Craig Williams will likely need to settle the High Chaparral entire towards the tail of the field.
- He was unable to win The Metropolitan and the Caulfield Cup is a much stronger race.
- Araldo has not recorded a race win in over a year.
You can find the best odds for Araldo or any other runner in the 2014 Caulfield Cup field with Ladbrokes.com.au.
Sign-up and deposit with the leading online bookmaker to give yourself the opportunity to win $3 million thanks to the Ladbrokes.com.au MegaPick and also take advantage of the wide range of offers they have available during the 2014 Spring Racing Carnival.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.