Sea Moon arrived in Australia over a year ago with a big reputation and he has the chance to finally live up to his potential when he contests the 2014 Caulfield Cup this weekend.
Sea Moon won the 2012 edition of the Group 2 Hardwicke Stakes (2414m) during the Royal Ascot Meeting and he was competitive in races like the Group 1 Breeders Cup Turf (2412m) and Prix De L’Arc De Triomphe (2400m) before he was purchased by Team Williams, but he has been unable to return to that form in Australia.
The Beat Hollow entire took out the Group 2 Hebert Power Stakes (2400m) during the 2013 Spring Racing Carnival, but he finished a disappointing 13th in the Group 1 Melbourne Cup (3200m) and his two runs since in the Group 2 Blamey Stakes (1600m) and the Group 3 The Bart Cummings (2520m) have been very disappointing.
It would take a massive turnaround of form for Sea Moon to take out the Caulfield Cup, but can he return to his best this weekend?
Caulfield Cup Horse Form: #4 Sea Moon
- Barrier: 21 (into 18)
- Weight: 57kg
- Jockey: Steven Arnold
- Trainer: Robert Hickmott
- Owners: N C Williams, Mr & Mrs L J Williams, V J Sammartino, Echo Beach B/S (Mgrs: A L & B A Green), M S Gudinski, Jacobsen Bloodstock P/L, J A Ingham, P M Mehrten, B N Singer
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Entire
- Breeding: by Beat Hollow from Eva Luna
- Career: 17:6-3-1
- Win: 35%
- Place: 59%
- Last 5: 0X8X5
- Prize Money: $1,190,352
- Track: 2:1-0-0
- Distance: 1:1-0-0
- Current 2014 Caulfield Cup Odds: $51
Why Sea Moon Can Be The 2014 Caulfield Cup Winner
- His form in Europe was excellent and he defeated the likes of Dunaden, Red Cadeaux, Jakkalberry, Fiorente and Quest For Peace in the 2012 edition of the Hardwicke Stakes.
- He took out the 2013 Herbert Power Stakes over this track and distance last year.
- Connections have indicated that they will look to push forward on Sea Moon and that could help him return to his best form.
- Team Williams knows how to train a Caulfield Cup winner after taking out the race with Fawkner last year,
Why Sea Moon Can’t Win The 2014 Caulfield Cup
- His performance in The Bart Cummings was far from impressive and his one start in the autumn was also poor.
- The Melbourne Cup is his major goal and connections admit that he will be better suited over 3200 metres.
- He has drawn awkwardly towards the outside of the Caulfield Cup field and he has the potential to be trapped wide in the early stages of the race.
- Sea Moon has been allocated 57 kilograms based on his European form and he has never been able to recapture that form in Australia.
You can find the best odds for Sea Moon or any other runner in the 2014 Caulfield Cup field with Ladbrokes.com.au.
Sign-up and deposit with the leading online bookmaker to give yourself the opportunity to win $3 million thanks to the Ladbrokes.com.au MegaPick and also take advantage of the wide range of offers they have available during the 2014 Spring Racing Carnival.