Having returned to racing in career-best form this season, Junoob has received an ideal lead-in to his major Spring Racing target on Saturday; the featured Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m).
Securing a commendable record of eleven wins and a further eight minor places from his 31 competitive appearances on course so far, Junoob began his racing career abroad in his native Great Britain before transferring to the care of Chris Waller from renowned trainer Tom Dascombe in late 2012.
A distance specialist from his maiden racing preparation, the son on Haafhd quickly stamped his claims as one to watch over an impressive 2011/12 racing campaign finishing a credible third in the Golden Jubilee Trophy first-up and continuing to build in form and class via wins in the Claiming Stakes (2011m) and Conditions Stakes (2414m) and third place in the Doncaster Shield (2414m).
Debuting to the Australian way of going over the 2013 Spring Carnival, Junoob secured several impressive results in minor staying events before more than coming into his own in winning the Might And Power Handicap (1900m) and running third in the Listed Parramatta Cup (1900m) early in the 2014 Autumn Carnival.
Returning to the winner’s circle in the Listed Randwick City Stakes (2000m) before repeating the dose in the Group 3 Neville Sellwood Stakes (2000m) on April 5th, the gelding out of Faydah returned to the paddock after finishing a fighting third behind champion mare Streama in the Group 1 Doomben Cup (2000m).
Steadily building to the task in finish eighth in the Group 3 Show County Quality (1200m) and sixth in the Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes (1600m) first-up this time, Junoob will be aiming to secure a third-consecutive race win in the 2014 Caulfield Cup after taking out the Group 2 Hill Stakes (2000m) and Group 1 The Metropolitan (2400m) most recently; the latter his maiden at the highest level of racing.
Allocated barrier 15 and confirmed to be partnered by jockey Douglas Whyte, can Junoob score a second-consecutive Group 1 title in the 2014 Caulfield Cup, or will one of his many classy rivals find the line in the clear?
Caulfield Cup Horse Form: #9 Junoob
- Barrier: 15
- Weight: 55.5kgs
- Jockey: Douglas Whyte
- Trainer: Chris Waller
- Owners: R Pegum, G Towzell, Mrs M Towzell
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Haafhd from Faydah
- Career: 31-11-4-4
- Win: 35%
- Place: 26%
- Last 6: 438611
- Prize Money: $758,600
- Track: 1-0-1-0
- Distance: 6-3-1-1
- Current 2014 Caulfield Cup Odds: $12
Why Junoob Can Win the 2014 Caulfield Cup
- Has secured three wins and two minors over six starts at distance
- Claimed maiden Group 1 at Distance last time out (The Metropolitan)
- Weighted well – carried 58kgs in winning Metropolitan ride
- In Undoubtable career-best form
- Partnered by leading Hong Kong-based jockey Douglas Whyte
- 20% of winners in last 15 years have left from barrier 15
Why Junoob Will Not Win the 2014 Caulfield Cup
- Metropolitan field a class below Caulfield Cup field; form not franked
- May get caught up from wide draw; enjoys sitting on heels of leaders
- Yet to secure race win at Caulfield or Victoria in general
- Classy jockey, but yet to be partnered competitively
Ladbrokes.com.au is currently offering the best odds on the 2014 Caulfield Cup.
Open an account and deposit at Ladbrokes.com.au today to gain access to the best Caulfield Cup odds and take advantage of up to $500 in bonuses!