Returning to racing in undoubtable career-best form this year, The Offer figures as renowned trainer Gai Waterhouse’s sole entrant in this weekend’s featured Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m).
Securing a commendable race record of six wins and a further 5 minor places from his 20 career starts to date, The Offer began his racing career under the guidance of leading Irish trainer Aidan O’Brien before transferring to the care of Waterhouse at the beginning of 2013.
Unable to figure in contention over three starts in his maiden Australian preparation through the 2013 autumn, the Montjeu gelding began to find a strong racing rhythm through the 2013 Spring Carnival, peaking with a comfortable win in the Listed Ballarat Cup (2200m) in November.
Finishing a somewhat forgettable sixth in the Australian Turf Club 3.y.o+ (1400m) first-up this year, The Offer responded well in finishing third amongst classy company in the Listed Randwick City Stakes (2000m) on March 15th before securing three impressive victories back-to-back in the Group 3 NE Manion Cup (2400m), Group 2 Chairman’s Handicap (2600m) and Group 1 Sydney Cup (3200m) on Day 2 of The Championships; the latter securing the five-year-old early favouritism for the 2014 Melbourne Cup.
Having finished fifth in the Group 2 Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes (1600m), ninth in the Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m) and sixth in the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m) so-far this time in, Waterhouse is confident a step-up to 2400m in the 2014 Caulfield Cup will see a return to the winner’s circle for The Offer this weekend.
“He desperately needs 2400m; you look at his form and he doesn’t warn up until he gets to 2400m,” Waterhouse told The Herald Sun.
“Also if it rained he’d come right into it as he’s a different horse in wet conditions.”
Confirmed to be partnered by regular and in-form jockey Tommy Berry, can The Offer return to the winner’s circle in the 2014 Caulfield Cup, or will one of his many talented rivals find the line in the clear?
Caulfield Cup Horse Form: #6 The Offer
- Barrier: 19 (into 15)
- Weight: 56.5kgs
- Jockey: Tommy Berry
- Trainer: Gai Waterhouse
- Owners: Star Stayers One & Two, Gurners Bloodstock Co, Mt Hallowell Stud
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Montjeu from Valdara
- Career: 20-6-2-3
- Win: 30%
- Place: 25%
- Last 6: 111596
- Prize Money: $1,143,100
- Track: 1-0-0-0
- Distance: 3-2-0-0
- Current 2014 Caulfield Cup Odds: $26
Why The Offer Can Win The 2014 Caulfield Cup Winner
- Has won two from three starts over the distance, including Group 3 NE Manion Cup this year
- Always reacts favourably to step-up to 2400m
- Likely to settle in good position; good record from wide gates (sixth in Turnbull Stakes last time out from barrier 15)
- Proven performer with higher weights; more than capable over overcoming 56.5kgs
- Reportedly in excellent condition having worked well following the Turnbull Stakes
Why The Offer Will Not Win The 2014 Caulfield Cup
- Is not is as good shape in spring as that which delivered exceptional autumn results
- Is being prepared for major goal in 2014 Melbourne Cup over 3200; 2400m and Caulfield Cup figuring as a stepping stone
- May get held up over the distance or caught wide if he does not jump well
- Is yet to finish in contention at Caulfield Racecourse
Ladbrokes.com.au is currently offering the best odds on the 2014 Caulfield Cup.
Open an account and deposit at Ladbrokes.com.au today to gain access to the best Caulfield Cup odds and take advantage of up to $500 in bonuses!