Recently inducted Hall Of Fame trainer Chris...
Top trainer Chris Waller dominates the 2014 Caulfield Cup field with four runners to his name, however two have drawn wide, Junoob (gate 15) and Who Shot Thebarman (gat 16), which leaves Hawkspur and Moriarty to bring it home.
Waller is relatively new to the race, with only seven starters to his name since 1983, but he has yet to win. Considering his recent reign, he would undoubtedly love to add the 2014 Caulfield Cup to his long list of wins.
Can Moriarty bring it home for the trainer in the $3 million Group 1 Crown Golden Ale Caulfield Cup (2400m) this Saturday?
He is one of only five last start winners in the field of 18 after winning the Group 3 Craven Plate (2000m) from Caulfield Cup rival Rising Romance.
The gelding has drawn well in barrier seven, which will drop to six once the four emergencies are scratched, which is much better than the gate 15 start he got in last year’s Caulfield Cup, in which he finished 10th.
Moriarty was the market mover at Ladbrokes.com.au following the barrier draw, seeing his odds shorten from $26 to $21, and is on his way to causing an upset in the Caulfield Cup 2014.
Caulfield Cup Horse Form: #10 Moriarty
- Barrier: 7 (into 6)
- Weight: 55kg
- Jockey: Michael Rodd
- Trainer: Chris Waller
- Owners: Mr K J Hunt, Mr F W Cook, Mr I Bruce, Mrs C M Cook, Mr J T C Lake, Mr B L Mathieson, Mr J R Pritchard, Mr R Smith, Werrett Bloodstock Pty Ltd
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Clodovil (IRE) from Justice System (USA)
- Career: 48:12-6-6
- Win: 25%
- Place: 25%
- Last 5: 25561
- Prize Money: $1,248,440
- Track: 1:0-0-0
- Distance: 6:1-1-0
- Current 2014 Caulfield Cup Odds: $21
Why Moriarty Can Win The 2014 Caulfield Cup
- One of only five last start winners in the race, including favourite Lucia Valentina
- Beat Caulfield Cup rival Rising Romance last time out in the Craven Plate
- Will enjoy the step up in distance following a win at 2000m
- Is a proven stayer with good experience over the distance (6:1-1-0)
- Will enjoy a lovely run after drawing barrier seven, which has produced three winners in the past 31 years
Why Moriarty Can’t Win The 2014 Caulfield Cup
- His Craven Plate win followed three midfield finishes, so recent form isn’t great
- Yet to win at the top level of racing
- Has low Win/Place statistics compared to the rest of the field
- At seven-years-old Moriarty could be too old for the Caulfield Cup, which is normally won by four to six year-olds.
If you think Moriarty has what it takes to bring the 2014 Caulfield Cup home for Chris Waller, place a bet with Ladbrokes.com.au.
Sign up with the online bookmaker today to take part in their Caulfield Cup Day mega pick. For a bet of just $3 you can win $3,000,000 by correctly picking the winners of all 8 featured races.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.