Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
This weekend Tony McEvoy’s Adelaide raider Big Memory is on the short seven-day back-up looking to complete the Herbert Power Stakes – Caulfield Cup 2014 double in Melbourne.
The five-year-old Duke Of Marmalade gelding is one of a capacity field of stayers facing off in the $3 million Group 1 Crown Golden Ale Caulfield Cup (2400m) and one of five last start winners in the mix.
He’s drawn wide however with barrier 20, coming into 16 with the four emergencies out, a barrier that hasn’t produced a Caulfield Cup winner since Tristarc back in 1985.
While the Caulfield Cup barrier draw didn’t go in his favour, Big Memory does sneak in with a nice 52kg minimum weight along with fellow South Australian visitor Gris Caro who fared better with gate three.
Corey Brown rides the French-bred galloper on that weight replacing Tommy Berry aboard for the horse’s Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes (2400m) win over the track and distance last weekend.
That gutsy effort saw him secure a spot in the Caulfield Cup field and now he’s looking to become the first Herbert Power Stakes winner to back-up and take out the Group 1 wince Master O’Reilly (2007), even from the wide gate.
“This race has been won from horses drawing wide as well, so it’s one of those races where the pace is going to have a fair bit to say about who wins,” part-owner Rupert Legh told The Advertiser.
“Carrying a light weight, we can actually be positive early and go forward and take up a reasonable (position).
“I don’t think it’s the end of the world even though Tony (might disagree).”
He’s at a juicy $21 in Caulfield Cup betting, out from $17, but will he be able to overcome the odds with an upset?
Caulfield Cup Horse Form: #17 Big Memory
- Barrier: 20 (into 16)
- Weight: 52kg
- Jockey: Corey Brown
- Trainer: Tony McEvoy
- Owners: Pipeliner Bloodstock Pty Ltd, Mr J W Cowley, R & C Legh Racing Pty Ltd
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Duke Of Marmalade from Nicara
- Career: 16-4-5-1
- Win: 25%
- Place: 63%
- Last 6: 10×281
- Prize Money: $336,820
- Track: 1-1-0-0
- Distance: 2-1-1-0
- Current 2014 Caulfield Cup Odds: $21
Why Big Memory Can be the 2014 Caulfield Cup Winner
- Won over the track and distance last weekend
- One of only five last start winners in the race along with the favourite Lucia Valentina
- Well weighted with just 52kg getting in on the minimum and dropping a kilo from his Herbert Power winning weight from seven days earlier
- Light weights have a good recent record with both Southern Speed (2011) and Descardo (2010) carrying only 52.5kg to victory
- Good record over the distance (2-1-1-0)
- Pulled up well from the Herbert Power last Saturday and is a tough, fit galloper
- Poor 25% Win Rate
Why Big Memory Won’t Score an Upset Caulfield Cup 2014 Result
- The Herbert Power Stakes hasn’t been a great Caulfield Cup guide in recent years with Master O’Reilly (2007) the last to achieve the double
- Coming into barrier 16 and that gate hasn’t produced a winner since Tristarc (1985)
- A year too old? Four-year-olds have won 16 editions since 1983 while 5YOs have only won six and none since Master O’Reilly (2007)
- Boasts a nice Place Rate (63%) so a better top three than first place chance
Think there could be some value putting an each way bet on Big Memory in Caulfield Race 9 on Saturday?
Then visit our No. 1 recommended bookie Ladbrokes.com.au who also have up to $500 in bonus bets waiting for their customers this spring!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.