The Chris Waller trained two year ods The...
One of the key support races on the Caulfield Guineas Day line-up in Melbourne on Saturday is the 2014 Toorak Handicap, a detailed form analysis and betting preview for the mile classic listed below.
There are 15 gallopers making up the field for this year’s $400,000 Group 1 David Jones NBCF Toorak Handicap (1600m), the showdown due to jump at 4:30pm as Caulfield Race 7.
It’s a tight Toorak Handicap betting market at Ladbrokes.com.au who now have three runners installed as the equal $5.50 favourites.
Three four-year-olds are well fancied to continue the nice record of that age group including the original co-favourites with the Chris Waller-trained Bull Point and in-form mare Arabian Gold.
The early Toorak Handicap market mover now in from $7 to $5.50 is then Trust In A Gust.
Drawn in barrier 11, which has produced three Toorak Handicap winners since 1983, the Darren Weir-trained Keep The Faith stallion comes off back-to-back wins at the track to give him a total of three victories from five starts at Caulfield.
His latest effort was also at Group 1 level when defeating Dissident and fellow Toorak fancy Bull Point in the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes (1400m) on September 28, a race that has produced three winners since 2004.
Joining the hard-to-split trio at the top of the Toorak odds are then in-form Group 1 winning mare Commanding Jewel ($7) and last start Stocks Stakes runner-up Solicit ($75.0 before the market opens up.
To help you sort the genuine contenders from the pretenders then we’ve gone over the full field and form guide to come up with the below must know Toorak Handicap facts to have your backing the winner online at Ladbrokes.com.au!
2014 Toorak Handicap Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Toorak Handicap winner was Solzhenitsyn who successful defended his title having also won in 2012, the Robert Heathcote-trained Brisbane galloper coming off a close third to Rebel Dane in the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes before jumping from barrier 7 (of 17) with Nash Rawiller aboard
- This year Heathcote and Rawiller are both without representation
- The Sir Rupert Clarke has been the best lead-up race in recent years with four coming via the fellow Group 1 since 2004 – Regal Roller (2004) and Barley A Moment (2005) completing the double and Divine Madonna (5th in 2007) and Solzhentisyn (3rd in 2013) – and 12 of the past 30 winners
- This year #4 Trust In A Gust will attempt the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes – Toorak Handicap double
- Also coming via the Sir Rupert are then Bull Point (3rd), Late Charge (6th), Akavoroun (7th), Atlante (8th), Rhythm To Spare (9th) and Speediness (13th)
- Along with #4 Trust In A Gust (Group 1 Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes, 1400m, Caulfield, 28/09/2014) the other horses coming off a last start win are European raider #1 Guest Of Honour (Group 2 Summer Mile, 1600m, Ascot, UK, 12/07/2014) and #7 Arabian Gold (Group 3 Golden Pendant, 1400, Rosehill, 27/09/2014)
- Last year’s winning barrier (7) meanwhile belongs on Saturday to #11 Late Charge ($21) out to become the fourth winner from that gate since 1983
- The most successful Toorak Handicap barrier in that time with five winners in the past 31 years is then barrier three; #2 Speediness ($16) has barrier three this year
- The only barriers relative to this year’s field size to produce no winners since 1983 are 13 and 15 with #7 Arabian Gold (Barrier 13) and #9 Recite (Barrier 15) out to break the hoodoo
- Top weight with 58kg is #1 Guest Of Honour ($13) who will join the likes of Solzheitsyn (2013), King Mufhasa (2011) and More Joyous (2010) to carry that weight to victory if successful
- 12 of the past 18 Toorak Handicap winners have carried 55kg or more brining into contention this year: #1 Guest Of Honour (58kg), #2 Speediness (57.5kg), #3 Commanding Jewel (56.5kg) and #4 Trust In A Gust (56.5kg) this year
- Favourites have won four of the past 10 editions including Solzhenitsyn (5/1) last year; this year there are currently three co-favourites with #4 Trust In A Gust, #6 Bull Point and #7 Arabian Gold all at $5.50 through Ladbrokes.com.au
- Four-year-olds have the best recent record with five wins in the past 10 years
- This year the 4YOs in the mix are: #4 Trust In A Gust, #5 Atlante, #6 Bull Point, #7 Arabian Gold, #8 Solicit, #9 Recite and #11 Late Charge
- The next best represented age group with four wins in the last decade is then five-year-olds
- The 5YOs in the mix this year are: #3 Commanding Jewel, #10 Akavoroun, #12 Rhythm To Spare, #13 Escado and #14 Desert Jeuney
- The only three horses aged older than four or five are then #1 Guest Of Honour (6YO), #2 Speediness (7YO) and #15 Tristram’s Sun (6YO)
- The most successful Toorak Handicap jockey with four wins from 10 rides since 1983 is Jim Cassidy who partners #6 Bull Point on Saturday
- The horse with the best Win Rate is #10 Akavoroun (67%) followed by #4 Trust In A Gust (56%), #3 Commanding Jewel (50%) and #7 Arabian Gold (47%)
- The highest Place Rate then belongs to #3 Commanding Jewel (90%) followed by #4 Trust In A Gust (88%), 10 Akavoroun (78%), #8 Solicit (71%) and #9 Recite (71%)
- Horses with the best record at the Caulfield track are: #4 Trust In A Gust (5-3-0-1), #3 Commanding Jewel (3-1-1-1), #6 Bull Point (3-1-0-1), #11 Late Charge (4-1-0-1), #7 Arabian Gold (1-1-0-0), #10 Akavoroun (2-1-0-0) and #12 Rhythm To Spare (3-1-0-0)
- Horses with the best record over the distance (1600m) are: #12 Rhythm To Spare (7-4-1-1), #1 Guest Of Honour (10-3-2-1), #2 Speediness (10-2-3-2), #5 Atlante (3-2-0-0), #7 Arabian Gold (4-2-0-0), #9 Recite (5-2-1-0), #3 Commanding Jewel (3-1-0-2), #10 Akavoroun (1-1-0-0), #13 Escado (2-1-0-0) and #14 Desert Jeuney (2-1-0-0)
- The only previous winners over the track and distance are then #3 Commanding Jewel (1-1-0-0) and #12 Rhythm To Spare (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Toorak Handicap 2014 tips to be published shortly.
Already have your selections and want to back them at Best Tote or SP + 20%? Then head to Ladbrokes.com.au – the only bookie offering that exclusive bonus price on the Toorak!
2014 Toorak Handicap Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.