A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
This Saturday the season’s leading middle distance three-year-olds will face off in the Caulfield Guineas 2014, a detailed form guide and betting preview for which is detailed below.
There are 14 three-year-old colts and geldings in the mix for this year’s $1 million Group 1 BECK Caulfield Guineas (1600m), the race due to jump at 5:40pm as the penultimate event on the bumper 10-race Melbourne program.
Clear favourite in the latest Caulfield Guineas odds at Ladbrokes.com.au paying $2.70 is the Ken Keys-trained Rich Enuff.
The son of Written Tycoon has won his past three on the trot in Melbourne including the Group 2 Danehill Stakes (1200m) and the Group 3 Caulfield Guineas Prelude (1400m) on September 28.
Michael Rodd stays on and the well fancied duo are drawn in gate 10 for Saturday, the last Caulfield Guineas winner to jump from the barrier being Lonhro (2001).
He’s followed in the Caulfield Guineas betting markets then by three other single figure hopes with Danehill – Prelude runner-up Looks Like The Cat ($5.50) for Brisbane’s Tony Gollan, early market mover Shooting To Win ($8 into $7) coming off a Group 2 Stan Fox Stakes win in Sydney and Gai Waterhouse’s 2014 Cox Plate bound Stutt Stakes winner Almalad ($7.50).
That’s what the markets are saying but what about the Caulfield Guineas form guide and history?
See below for our must know Caulfield Guineas facts and statistics so you can back a winner online at Ladbrokes.com.au at the guaranteed best odds this weekend!
2014 Caulfield Guineas Facts & Stats
- Last year’s Caulfield Guineas winner was the Peter Snowden-trained Long John who came off a third in the Guineas and jumped from barrier one with Kerrin McEvoy in the saddle
- This year Peter Snowden, now in partnership with son Paul, is after back-to-back wins with #4 Shooting To Win ($7) in barrier eight with James McDonald riding
- Snowden also trained Helmet to win in 2011
- Last year’s winning hoop Kerrin McEvoy meanwhile has the ride on #8 Kumaon ($18) in gate two for Godolphin
- Barrier 1 produced last year’s champion and is the most successful Caulfield Guineas barrier with seven wins since 1983
- This year Barrier 1 belongs to #13 Zebulon ($15)
- The other most successful barriers in the past 31 years are four (five winners) and three (four winners) which on Saturday belong to #9 Merion ($21) and #5 Zululand ($41) respectively
- A number of barriers have produced no winners in that time meanwhile and horses out to overcome the hoodoo from those gates this weekend are #14 Wandjina (Barrier 5), #12 Lucky Tom (Barrier 6), #7 Looks Like The Cat (Barrier 9) and #1 Our Vespa (Barrier 14)
- Long John ran third in the Caulfield Guineas Prelude before his win 12 months ago, the race producing seven Caulfield Guineas winners in the past 11 years
- Hopefuls that come via the Prelude this year are the winner Rich Enuff, Looks Like The Cat (2nd) who was also runner-up in the Danehill Stakes, Wandjina (4th), Our Vespa (6th), Stingray (8th) and Lucky Tom (11th)
- #3 Rich Enuff is out to become the fourth three-year-old in 12 years to take out the Prelude – Caulfield Guineas double joining Helmet (2011), Anacheeva (2010) and Wonderful World (2006)
- The horse with the highest Win Rate is #3 Rich Enuff (75%) followed by: #9 Merion (75%), #2 Almalad (67%), #1 Our Vespa (63%) and #4 Shooting To Win (50%)
- The best Place Rate then belongs to #3 Rich Enuff (100%) and #7 Looks Like The Cat (100%) who are yet to finish out of the money, followed by: #1 Our Vespa (88%), #4 Shooing To Win (83%) and #13 Zebulon (80%)
- Along with the favourite #3 Rich Enuff (Group 3 Caulfield Guineas Prelude, 1400m, Caulfield, 28/09/2014) there are three other last start winners in the mix with #2 Almalad (Group 2 Stutt Stakes, 1600m, Moonee Valley, 26/09/2014), #4 Shooting To Win (Group 2 Stan Fox Stakes, 1500m, Rosehill, 27/09/2014) and #9 Merion (Listed Living Legends Stakes, 1400m, Flemington, 13/09/2014)
- The other most successful Caulfield Guineas lead-up in recent years aside from the Prelude with two winners since 2000 is the Stutt Stakes which this year produces the winner Almalad along with Moonovermanhattan (2nd), Kumaon (3rd), Chivalry (6th), Zululand (7th) and Zebulon (9th)
- The only previous winners at the Caulfield track are #3 Rich Enuff (1-1-0-0) and #6 Chivalry (3-1-0-1)
- #2 Almalad (2-2-0-0) meanwhile is the only proven miler with two wins over the distance while #8 Kumaon has run third in both his 1600m starts to date
- Favourites have won four of the past 10 editions including Long John (2013) and Helmet (2011) and this year #3 Rich Enuff ($2.40) is out to be the next
See below for the full Caulfield Guineas 2014 form guide, odds on your early favourites open online now at Ladbrokes.com.au where new customers are eligible for a $500 bonus match bet by depositing $500 and using the code SPRINGBONUS!
2014 Caulfield Guineas Field & Form Guide
Caulfield Race 9 (5:40pm) – 11/10/2014
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.