The Chris Waller trained two year ods The...
This weekend in Sydney the major race for fillies is the 2014 Flight Stakes featuring a small but classy field of three-year-olds to face off in the Royal Randwick clash.
Originally nine were accepted for in the Epsom Handicap Day feature but Gai Waterhouse scratched the rails-drawn Twirl on Wednesday leaving eight for this year’s $400,000 Group 1 Coolmore Flight Stakes (1600m).
Three of those eight are dominating the markets at single figures through Ladbrokes.com.au, home of the $500 bonus sign-up bet for new depositing players that quote the code SPRINGBONUS.
Current $2.50 favouirte is John Thompson’s First Seal, the Fastnet Rock filly having won two of her past three starts.
Most recently she raced over the 1400m here on September 20 to beat Chris Waller’s odds-on favourite Winx in the Group 2 Tea Rose Stakes (1400m), the key lead-up race to the Flight Stakes.
On Saturday she is well backed to again get the better of Street Cry filly Winx in the Group 1 with Flight Stakes odds on the latter easing out for $2.50 co-favouritism to $2.70.
First Seal jumps from barrier four with Blake Shinn on Saturday while Hugh Bowman replaces Jason Collett in the saddle of Winx (barrier seven) who won the Group 2 Furious Stakes (1200m) over Alpha Miss (2nd) and Blue Diamond Stakes winner Earthquake (3rd) two back.
The Peter Moody-trained Thinking Of You (barrier two) is then the firming $4.40 third pick in Flight Stakes betting.
Originally it looked like the undefeated daughter of Thorn Park would stay in Melbourne this weekend racing in the Group 2 Edward Manifold Stakes (1600m) on way to Saturday week’s 2014 Thousand Guineas.
She’s officially been scratched from the Flemington race however and is firming to upset to top two in the Sydney Group 1.
Having gone over the entire Flight Stakes field and form guide below we’ve got the must know facts and betting preview on the fillies’ classic so you know who to back and who to sack on Saturday!
2014 Flight Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Flight Stakes winner was the Peter Snowden-trained Guelph who jumped form barrier 6 of 6 with Kerrin McEvoy aboard on the back of a Furious Stakes second and Tea Rose Stakes win before continuing on to secure the Thousand Guineas win in Melbourne too
- This year Team Snowden and McEvoy are without representation
- The Flight Stakes’ most successful trainer is Gai Waterhouse with seven wins from 23 starters since 1983
- This year Waterhouse is represented by #4 Echo Gal ($19) and #8 Muscovado ($67)
- Last year’s winning barrier (6) was drawn by #7 Lady Sharapova but with Twirl out it will be #3 Press Report ($19) jumping from gate six
- Barrier six has produced three Flight Stakes winners since 1983
- The most successful Flight Stakes barrier in that time meanwhile has been two with four winners which this year belongs to #6 Thinking Of You ($4.40)
- This year’s Tea Rose Stakes winner, after the same double Guelph achieved 12 months ago, is #2 First Seal ($2.50)
- Other Flight Stakes hopes coming via the Tea Rose this year are then Winx (2nd) and Lady Sharapova (6th)
- #1 Winx ($2.70) also ran and won the Furious Stakes before that and so is the only filly to follow the same two-run path into the Flight Stakes as Guelph last year
- This weekend #1 Winx will be ridden by Hugh Bowman who is the most successful Flight Stakes jockey with four previous winners
- Aside from #2 First Seal (Group 2 Tea Rose Stakes, 1400m, Randwick, 20/09/2014) the other last start winner in Saturday’s field is #6 Thinking Of You (3YOF Hcp, 1400, Caulfield, 20/09/2014)
- Race favourite #2 First Seal ($2.50) is looking to become the fifth punters’ pick in 11 years to win and the third favourite in four years to salute including Guelph (2013) last year
- The highest Win Rate belongs to the undefeated #6 Thinking Of You (100%) followed by #1 Winx (75%) and #2 First Seal (50%)
- Both #6 Thinking Of You (100%) and #1 Winx (100%) are yet to finish out of the money and boast the best Place Rates followed by #2 First Seal (75%) and #7 Lady Sharapova (60%)
- Fillies with the best Randwick track record are #1 Winx (2-1-1-0) and #2 First Seal (1-1-0-0)
- None have been stretched out over the mile (1600m) before
Races.com.au will publish our insider Flight Stakes tips shortly so bookmark this site.
In the meantime treat yourself to a $500 match deposit bet by signing up and depositing that amount at Ladbrokes.com.au to have it matched dollar for dollar when you use the promotional code SPRINGBONUS!
2014 Flight Stakes Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.