Tonight under the lights at Moonee Valley Racecourse the first of the weekend’s two Group 1 Melbourne races will take place with a diminutive five-horse field to face off in the 2014 Moir Stakes.
There may be only five in the mix for tonight’s $450,000 Group 1 City Jeep Moir Stakes (1200m), running as Race 4 at 8:15pm, but the talent is high with three previous Group 1 winners in the mix.
The best fancied of those in the Moir Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au is the Mick Price-trained odds-on $1.50 fancy Lankan Rupee.
Drawn in gate two with Craig Newitt to ride, the Redoute’s Choice five-year-old was in stunning form during the autumn winning three straight Group 1 races to earn the title of the world’s highest rated sprinter.
First-up he suffered a shock less in the Group 2 McEwen Stakes (1000m), but Price is bullish over his chances to atone here when stepping up to the 1200m over which the five-year-old has won three of his six starts.
Lankan Rupee is then followed in the Moir Stakes betting markets by the Robert Heathcote-trained Buffering ($5.50) who is also a three-time Group 1 champion and previous winner of this race from two years ago, upset McEwen Stakes winning mare Angelic Light ($7) and early market mover Rebel Dane ($8).
At $31 the rails-drawn Unpretentious is then the roughie of the pack out to improve on a disappointing first-up seventh to the Robbie Griffiths-trained Angelic Light in the McEwen last time out.
That’s what the bookies are saying but what about the Moir Stakes form guide and betting history?
See below for the must know facts on tonight’s major to see whether Lankan Rupee really is a sure thing to back at Ladbrokes.com.au where for a short time their match deposit bonus bet has been increased to $500 when you use the code SPRINGBONUS!
2014 Moir Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Moir Stakes winner was the Mick Price-trained Samaready who came off a first-up Group 3 win at Caulfield, jumped from barrier 7 (of 10) and was ridden by Craig Newitt
- This year Price and Newitt combine again after back-to-back wins with the hot favourite #2 Lankan Rupee ($1.50)
- The only last start winner in the field this year though is #5 Angelic Light ($7) who upset Lankan Rupee when defeating him by a nose in the Group 2 McEwen Stakes (1000m) at the track on September 6
- #1 Buffering ($5.50) meanwhile won the 2012 Moir Stakes when it was a Group 2 race and finished second to Samaready last year
- This year #1 Buffering returns off a spell and is looking to become just the fourth horse in the past 14 years to win first-up along with himself from 2012, Miss Andretti (2007) and Our Egyptian Raine (2003)
- The most successful Moir Stakes barrier since 1983 has been gate three with six winners which belongs this year to #1 Buffering (Damian Browne)
- The most successful Moir Stakes jockey in the past 31 years has been Damien Oliver with four wins from 13 rides; this year he’s after a fifth victory with the outsider in betting #4 Unpretentious ($31)
- The horse with the highest Win Rate in the field is #2 Lankan Rupee (53%) followed by #5 Angelic Light (38%), #1 Buffering (36%), #3 Rebel Dane (35%) and #4 Unpretentious (24%)
- The best Place Rate then belongs to #5 Angelic Light (77%) followed closely by #1 Buffering (76%) and #2 Lankan Rupee (76%), #3 Rebel Dane (53%) and then #4 Unpretentious (47%)
- Over the distance the horses with the best 1200m record are: #1 Buffering (27-10-6-5), #5 Angelic Light (6-3-2-1), #2 Lankan Rupee (6-3-0-1) and #3 Rebel Dane (8-3-1-1)
- At the track the best Moonee Valley records belong to: #1 Buffering (7-3-1-1), #5 Angelic Light (5-3-1-1) and #2 Lankan Rupee (3-1-1-1)
- Previous winners over the Track & Distance are then: #1 Buffering (6-2-1-1) and #5 Angelic Light (3-2-1-0)
- Geldings, and fillies and mares, are statistically on par since 2000 with seven wins each
- The favourite has won five of the past 10 Moir Stakes most recently Buffering (2012)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Moir Stakes betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime why not treat yourself to a $500 bonus bet by depositing that amount when you open a new account with the country’s best online bookie Ladbrokes.com.au – but hurry this is for a limited time only and is only for customers that use the code SPRINGBONUS!