Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Second acceptances for a host of upcoming Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival majors were taken by Racing Victoria today including those for the Caulfield Cup 2014 leaving 78 stayers in the mix for the classic.
At first acceptance stage for the $3 million Group 1 Crown Golden Ale Caulfield Cup (2400m), held at Caulfield Racecourse on October 18, there were 121 stayers in the mix.
That was reduced today by 43.
Last year there were 72 horses in the 2013 Caulfield Cup second acceptances meaning this year is six entries up.
When first declarations were taken three weeks ago 16 international horses remained on the Caulfield Cup path and that number is down to 11, up from only four in 2013.
Still in the mix for internationals are the likes of last year’s Caulfield Cup runner-up Dandino, Japanese duo Admire Rakti and Bande, dual Melbourne Cup runner-up Red Cadeaux, Germany’s Protectionist, the Marco Botti-trained Geoffrey Freer winner Seismos and Ambivalent.
One of the most notable omissions was then Hong Kong’s Dan Excel.
With the non-acceptance of original top weight Mukhadram (58kg) at first acceptances, Singapore Cup winner Dan Excel was the new heaviest weighted on 57kg.
Caulfield Cup weights will have to be raised again however with Dan Excel’s sole focus down under this spring to be the $3 million Group 1 Cox Plate (2040m) a week after the Caulfield Cup.
Top 2014 Caulfield Cup Second Acceptors
- Lucia Valentina (Kris Lees) – Group 1 winning mare has only 51kg and is pretty much guaranteed a start, won the Tramway first-up but was sixth in the George Main last time out. Extra distance will suit in the Cup though and with that weight is a big danger. Tops Caulfield Cup betting at Ladbrokes.com.au.
- Bande (Yoshito Yahagi) – Japanese raider also well fancied for the Melbourne Cup in November. Was an impressive all-the-way winner back home over 2600m in August and also ran third to Gold Ship in the Hansh Daishoten in March, form Carpenter rates highly. Already in quarantine down under and ready to make an impact in the Spring Cups.
- Spillway (David Hayes & Tom Dabernig) – British import won the Group 3JRA Plate in the autumn before a first-up fourth to Dissident in the Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes over the mile this time in. Missed out on the Caulfield Cup ballot exemption last weekend however when a disappointing seventh in the Naturalism Stakes so in danger of missing a run sitting equal 36th before the latest acceptances with only 52kg.
- The Offer (Gai Waterhouse) – 2014 Melbourne Cup favourite and winner of the Sydney Cup over the two miles in the autumn by a big four lengths, this genuine stayer has an attractive 54.5kg for the Caulfield Cup and was last seen running second last (9th) in the Underwood last weekend over 1800m. More distance to help his cause.
- Admire Rakti (Tomoyuki Umeda) – The second Japanese raider in Spring Cups contention and already acclimatising to Melbourne. The seven-year-old was runner-up, finishing one better than Bande, in the Hansh Daishoten and was also fourth in the Japane Cup over 2400m back in November behind Gentildonna. Last time out in the Group 1 Tenno Sho over the two miles however ran 13th but improvement expected off that.
- Rising Romance (Donna Logan) – New Zealand-trained mare, this Ekraar four-year-old is equal on the ballot with the top fancy Lucia Valentina and is also allocated 51kg. She won the ATC Oaks, where Lucia Valentina ran third, over the Caulfield Cup distance in Sydney in April and has had two runs this time in – fourth in the Tramway and seventh in the George Main.
Current Caulfield Cup betting favourite is Lucia Valentina who paid $11 through Ladbrokes.com.au to win pre-second declarations.
Allocated only 51kg in the Caulfield Cup weights by Greg Carpenter she’s well weighted and in flying form, a dangerous combination according to the bookies.
Winner of the Group 1 Storm Queen Stakes (2000m) and third in the Group 1 ATC Oaks (2400m) in Sydney last season, this time in Lucia Valentina won first-up in the Group 2 Tramway Stakes (1400m).
Her latest effort then was a sixth in the Group 1 George Main Stakes (1600m) at Randwick last weekend.
Along with Dan Excel the other most notable non-acceptor meanwhile was the Robert Hickmott-trained Fawkner.
2014 Caulfield Cup third acceptances are taken on Tuesday October 7 further narrowing down the hopeful stayers heading towards the world’s richest mile and a half handicap.
Updated Caulfield Cup odds are reopening shortly at Ladbrokes.com.au making now the time to open your account with the country’s premier bookie who, for a limited time, have a $500 bonus match bet on offer for customers using the promo code SPRINGBONUS!
2014 Caulfield Cup Second Declarations
Caulfield Racecourse – 18/10/2014
|1||ADMIRE RAKTI (JPN)||Tomoyuki Umeda||3|
|3||ALI VITAL (NZ)||Robbie Laing||87|
|4||AMBIVALENT (IRE)||Roger Varian||5|
|5||ANCIENT KING (IRE)||Peter G Moody||97|
|6||ARALDO (GB)||Michael Moroney||99|
|8||BANDE (IRE)||Yoshito Yahagi||4.5|
|9||BEST CASE (NZ)||Anthony Cummings||87|
|10||BIG MEMORY (FR)||Tony McEvoy||93|
|11||BONFIRE (GB)||Gai Waterhouse||101|
|12||BRAMBLES (NZ)||Peter G Moody||102|
|13||BRING SOMETHING||Ken Keys||72|
|14||CAFE SOCIETY (FR)||David Simcock||8.5|
|15||CANNY BALLAD||Joseph Pride||9|
|16||CARAVAN ROLLS ON (GB)||Danny O’Brien||95|
|17||CONTRIBUTER (IRE)||John O’Shea||7.5|
|18||DANDINO (GB)||Marco Botti||4|
|19||DARK THUNDER (NZ)||Robbie Laing||63|
|20||DEANE MARTIN (NZ)||Bruce Wallace||9|
|21||DEAR DEMI||Clarry Conners||105|
|22||DON DOREMO (NZ)||Robbie Laing||67|
|23||ENTIRELY PLATINUM (NZ)||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||103|
|24||FORETELLER (GB)||Chris Waller||112|
|25||FOUNDRY (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||101|
|27||GAMBLIN’ GURU||Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas||8|
|28||GOLDONI (IRE)||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||84|
|29||GREEN MOON (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||113|
|30||GRIS CARO (GB)||Jake Stephens||97|
|32||HE’S YOUR MAN (FR)||Chris Waller||98|
|33||IBICENCO (GER)||Peter G Moody||104|
|34||JACQUINOT BAY||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||97|
|35||JUNOOB (GB)||Chris Waller||104|
|36||KINGDOMS (NZ)||Brian Smith||8|
|37||KIRRAMOSA (NZ)||John Sargent||105|
|38||LA AMISTAD||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||100|
|39||LE ROI (GER)||Tony McEvoy||99|
|40||LET’S MAKE ADEAL||Nigel Blackiston||99|
|41||LIDARI (FR)||Peter G Moody||103|
|42||LUCIA VALENTINA (NZ)||Kris Lees||102|
|43||MANDURO’S SON (IRE)||Michael Moroney||9|
|44||MARTIAN (IRE)||Tony McEvoy||9|
|45||MASKED MARVEL (GB)||Robert Hickmott||102|
|46||MORIARTY (IRE)||Chris Waller||107|
|47||OMINOUS (GB)||Nigel Blackiston||91|
|48||OPINION (IRE)||Chris Waller||7.5|
|49||OUR VOODOO PRINCE (GB)||Chris Waller||102|
|50||PRECEDENCE (NZ)||Bart & James Cummings||106|
|51||PRINCE OF PENZANCE (NZ)||Darren Weir||95|
|52||PROTECTIONIST (GER)||Andreas Wohler||4.5|
|53||PUCCINI (NZ)||Peter & Jacob McKay||5|
|54||PUISSANCE DE LUNE (IRE)||Darren Weir||111|
|55||QUAYSIDE||Peter G Moody||71|
|56||RED CADEAUX (GB)||Ed Dunlop||3.5|
|57||RENEW (IRE)||Marco Botti||9|
|58||RISING ROMANCE (NZ)||Donna Logan||105|
|59||ROYAL DESCENT||Chris Waller||112|
|60||SANGSTER (NZ)||Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young||7|
|61||SEA MOON (GB)||Robert Hickmott||4|
|62||SEISMOS (IRE)||Marco Botti||5|
|63||SERTORIUS||Jamie Edwards & Bruce Elkington||105|
|64||SIDE GLANCE (GB)||Andrew Balding||4.5|
|65||SIGNOFF (IRE)||Darren Weir||91|
|66||SILENT ACHIEVER (NZ)||Roger James||116|
|67||SLOW PACE (USA)||Kris Lees||103|
|68||SPILLWAY (GB)||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||103|
|69||STIPULATE (GB)||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||104|
|70||THE OFFER (IRE)||Gai Waterhouse||110|
|71||TRISTRAM’S SUN (NZ)||Robbie Laing||82|
|72||TUPAC AMARU||John O’Shea||6.5|
|73||UNCHAIN MY HEART||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||99|
|74||VAN PERCY (GB)||Andrew Balding||8.5|
|75||WHO SHOT THEBARMAN (NZ)||Chris Waller||102|
|76||WISH COME TRUE (IRE)||Peter G Moody||9|
|77||WROTHAM HEATH (GB)||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||79|
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.