Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This weekend the Group 1 racing action of the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival continues at Caulfield Racecourse with the Underwood Stakes 2014, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for which is detailed below.
There are 10 weight-for-age gallopers making up the field for Saturday’s $400,000 Group 1 Hyland Race Colours Underwood Stakes (1800m), the favourite of which at Ladbrokes.com.au is Silent Achiever.
Paying $3.20, in from $3.40, Roger James’s four-time Group 1 winning New Zealand mare is second-up for the season following fourth to Dissident in the Memsie Stakes.
She’s on the improve them, drawn to perfection in gate three but hasn’t finished top three in any of her four previous starts at the tricky Caulfield course.
Punters then could be looking for value outside the favourite in the Underwood this year when they take advantage of the Best Tote + 20% offer on the race at Ladbrokes.com.au who also have a juicy $500 bonus welcome bet running when you quote SPRINGBONUS this weekend!
The next best in Underwood Stakes betting are then Chris Waller’s Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes third placegetter Foreteller ($4.80), Sydney Cup winner and Melbourne Cup favourite The Offer ($6), market mover Stipulate ($6) and recent PB Lawrence Stakes winner Star Rolling ($7).
So where should your money go?
Having gone over the Underwood Stakes form guide and betting history below are the must know facts on the classic to have you backing winners at Ladbrokes.com.au this spring.
2014 Underwood Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Underwood Stakes winner was the New Zealand-trained It’s A Dundeel who won second-up following a Memsie Stakes fourth, jumped from out wide in barrier 12 (of 14) and was ridden by James McDonald
- This weekend #10 Silent Achiever ($3.20) will be out to become the fourth New Zealand-trained Underwood Stakes winner in as many years following It’s A Dundeel (2013), Ocean Park (2012) and Lion Tamer (2011)
- #10 Silent Achiever (Roger James), in barrier three with Damien Oliver in the saddle, also comes off the same lead-up as It’s A Dundeel with a Memsie Stakes fourth first-up leading into the Underwood Stakes
- Silent Achiever is also the favourite and 3 of the past 10 Underwood Stakes favourites have saluted for the punters; the last was So you Think (2010)
- Last year It’s A Dundeel became the fourth Underwood Stakes winner to run second-up after resuming in a 1400m Group 1 race three weeks earlier following So You Think (2010) coming out of the Memsie Stakes, and Lion Tamer (2011) and Ocean Park (2012) out of the Mudgway Stakes in New Zealand
- Other Underwood Stakes hopes that ran in the Memsie Stakes this year are Happy Trails (8th) and Super Cool (10th)
- The key Underwood Stakes lead-up in the past 11 years however has been the Makybe Diva Stakes producing six winners in that time; the Makybe Diva was rescheduled this year however and ran just last Saturday and the only horse backing up is Super Cool (8th)
- #10 Silent Achiever however has a hoodoo to overcome as no mare has won the Underwood Stakes since Tristarc (1985) when it was run over 2000m
- Last year Atlantic Jewel tried but failed in her only career loss when runner-up to It’s A Dundeel
- Along with Atlantic Jewel (2013) other second placed mares in the Underwood in the past decade are She’s Archie (2004), Miss Finland (2007), Dariana (2010) and Southern Speed (2011)
- Three of those second-placed mares finished behind a four-year-old male and 4YOs boast the best recent record in the race winning the past six consecutive editions; there are no four-year-olds in the mix this year are however
- The only last start winner in the field this year is #9 Stipulate ($6) who took out the Listed Heatherlie Handicap (1700m) at the track on August 30
- The horse with the highest Win Rate is #5 Crackerjack King (58%) followed by: #7 Star Rolling (38%), #4 The Offer (33%), #6 Lidari (32%) and #8 Thought Worthy (33%)
- The best Place Rate then belongs to #9 Stipulate (67%) followed by: #4 The Offer (61%), #5 Crackerjack King (58%), #8 Thought Worthy (56%), #5 Lidari (55%), #7 Star Rolling (54%) and #3 Super Cool (53%)
- At the Caulfield track horses with the best record are: #3 Super Cool (6-1-1-3), #1 Happy Trails (6-1-1-0), #2 Foreteller (8-2-1-0), #7 Star Rolling (4-1-1-1), #9 Stipulate (2-1-0-1) and #6 Lidari (3-1-0-0)
- Over the distance (1800m) those with the best form are: #5 Crackerjack King (2-2-0-0) #2 Foreteller (8-3-1-0), #9 Stipulate (4-1-1-1), #7 Star Rolling (2-1-0-1) and #3 Super Cool (1-1-0-0)
- Previous winners over the track & distance are then #2 Foreteller (3-1-0-0) and #3 Super Cool (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Underwood Stakes betting tips to be published shortly.
Already have your selections picked out and want to lock them in at the hottest odds?
Head to Ladbrokes.com.au who are offering Best Tote + 20% on the Underwood Stakes field!
2014 Undewood Stakes Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.