This weekend the George Main Stakes 2014 runs at Royal Randwick as the latest Group 1 of the Sydney Spring Racing Carnival and below is a detailed form guide preview and betting analysis on the weight-for-age feature.
There are 10 gallopers making up the field for the $350,000 Group 1 George Main Stakes (1600m) on Saturday with the markets at Ladbrokes.com.au a tight affair with four paying $5.50 or under.
Current favourite sitting top of the George Main Stakes odds at $4.60 is market mover and youngster of the bunch, Panzer Division.
Backed right in from $7, the Paul Messara-trained Redoute’s Choice colt bypassed last weekend’s Golden Rose despite a win over his own age in the Group 3 Ming Dynasty Quality Handicap (1400m) over the same track and distance on September 6.
In top form and ready to take on a field of older rivals in Group 1 company, money is coming for the three-year-old to become the first of his age to win since 2011.
Also well liked in the markets are then the likes of Chris Waller’s former ATC Oaks winning mare Royal Descent ($5), stable mate and dual Doncaster Mile winner Sacred Falls ($5.50) with the rails run and last start Tramway Stakes winning mare Lucia Valentina ($5.50).
That’s what the George Main Stakes betting markets have to say but what about the historical results and form on this year’s field?
After going over the complete George Main Stakes form guide and statistical data below are the must know facts on the race to have you cleaning out the bookies!
2014 George Main Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s George Main Stakes winner was the since-retired mare Streama who came off a second in the Group 2 Warwick Stakes (1400m), jumped from barrier six (of nine) and was ridden by Blake Shinn
- Blake Shinn has the mount on #9 Gypsy Diamond ($31) this year looking to go back-to-back on a roughie shot
- #9 Gypsy Diamond is one of four mares looking to make it two on the trot for the females in the George Main Stakes along with #6 Royal Descent ($5), #7 Lucia Valentina ($5.50) and #8 Rising Romance ($12)
[lboxt text=”The only three mares to win the George Main Stakes in the past 30 years have been Streama (2013), More Joyous (2010) and Ma Chiquita (1986)”]
- Horses that ran in this year’s Warwick Stakes from August 23 meanwhile are Royal Descent (2nd), Sacred Falls (4th) and Hawkspur (5th) all representing Chris Waller
- Last year’s winning barrier (6) on Saturday belongs to #7 Lucia Valentina ($5.50) who will be ridden by Kerrin McEvoy
- Barrier six has produced three George Main Stakes winners since 1983
- The most successful George Main Stakes barrier in that time with six winners is four followed by gate nine with five winners which belong this year to #2 Hawkspur (barrier four) and #4 Laser Hawk (barrier nine)
- There are three in the mix who are second-up like Streama was last year then with #3 Toydini ($10), #7 Lucia Valentina and #8 Rising Romance
- There are four last start winners looking for back-to-back wins meanwhile with #2 Hawkspur (Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes, 1600m, Randwick, 06/09/2014), #5 Teronado (Class 6, 1640m, Doomben, 06/09/2014), #7 Lucia Valentina (Group 2 Tramway Stakes, 1400m, Randwick, 06/09/2014) and #10 Panzer Division (Group 3 Ming Dynasty Quality, 1400m, Randwick, 06/09/2014)
- The best lead-up race has been the Theo Marks Stakes producing four George Main Stakes winners in the past 10 years; #4 Laser Hawk ($101) who ran dead last (8th) is the only horse coming out of that race this year
- Favourites have a 50% strike rate in the George Main over the past 10 years with 5 winning, most recently Shoot Out (2012) who was the third straight punters’ pick to salute
- This year’s favourite is #10 Panzer Division ($4.60)
- The horse with the highest Win Rate is #10 Panzer Division (67%) followed by # Lucia Valentina (40%), #1 Sacred Falls (38%), #4 Laser Hawk (36%) and #8 Rising Romance (36%)
- #10 Panzer Division (100%) also boasts the top Place Rate followed by #7 Lucia Valentina (70%), #6 Royal Descent (67%), #4 Laser Hawk (64%), #8 Rising Romance (64%) and #5 Teronado (60%)
- Over the distance (1600m) the horses with the best form are: #1 Sacred Falls (9-3-0-1), #2 Hawkspur (7-2-1-1), #3 Toydini (6-2-0-1), #9 Gypsy Diamond (4-2-1-0), #4 Laser Hawk (2-1-0-1) and #7 Lucia Valentina (2-1-0-0)
- At Randwick horses with the best track record are: #1 Sacred Falls (9-2-1-0), #6 Royal Descent (8-2-4-1), #7 Lucia Valentina (2-1-0-1), #8 Rising Romance (2-1-0-0), #9 Gypsy Diamond (5-1-2-0) and #10 Panzer Division (2-1-1-0)
- Previous winners over the track and distance are then: #1 Sacred Falls (5-2-0-0), #2 Hawkspur (5-2-1-0), #3 Toydini (3-1-0-1) and #9 Gypsy Diamond (2-1-1-0)
Our insider George Main Stakes betting tips will go up on the site shortly so stay tuned.
In the meantime how does a $500 bonus bet to kick off your spring sound?
That’s exactly what’s on offer for new depositing players at Ladbrokes.com.au for a limited time only so head over there now and quote the code SPRINGBONUS to take advantage of the promo!