Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
Group 1 racing in Melbourne continues this weekend for the spring with a talented line-up of middle distance gallopers and stayers facing off in the Makybe Diva Stakes 2014, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for which can be found below.
Running as Flemington Race 7 at 4:00pm on Saturday this year’s $400,000 Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m) features 11 hopefuls with the betting at Ladbrokes.com.au led by Peter Moody’s last start Memsie Stakes winner Dissident ($3.10).
He’s facing a tough assignment historically speaking however with just four Memsie Stakes winners going on to win the Makybe Diva Stakes in over 50 years.
He’s followed in the markets then by the likes of triple Group 1 winner Boban ($4.50) out to improve on a fifth in the Memsie and hand trainer Chris Waller with back-to-back Makybe Diva Stakes wins and the Darren Weir-trained Puissance De Lune ($6) who was runner-up to Foreteller last year.
That’s the story the bookies are telling but what about looking over the Makybe Diva Stakes 2014 form and betting history on this weight-for-age classic?
To ensure you place the best informed wager on Melbourne’s feature this Saturday below are some exclusive Makybe Diva Stakes facts to ready before heading over to Ladbrokes.com.au!
2014 Makybe Diva Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Makybe Diva Stakes winner was the Chris Waller-trained Foreteller who won second-up from a spell, unplaced at his last start, and umped from barrier 9 (of 14) with Craig Newitt aboard
- This year the horses racing second-up in the Makybe Diva Stakes field are #4 Super Cool ($41), #5 Sertorius ($21), #8 Spillway ($9.50), #9 Dissident ($3.10) and #10 Late Charge ($41)
- Chris Waller is back looking to win successive editions of the race with #3 Boban ($4.50) in barrier 4 and Glyn Schofield in the saddle having his first ride in the feature
- Last year’s winning barrier (9) meanwhile belongs on Saturday to #7 Messene ($8.50) to be ridden by Dwayne Dunn after his first top three finish in the Makybe Diva at ride number six
- Barrier nine has produced just the one Makybe Diva Stakes winner since 1983 however
- The most successful Makbye Diva Stakes barrier in that time has been barrier one with five winners which this year belongs to #11 Don Doremo ($41)
- Barrier 8 has then produced 4 winners since 1983 and #3 Boban ($4.50) has been allocated the gate for the weekend
- The only barrier in 31 years to have not produced a winner meanwhile is 12 with only 11 horses in this year’s field
- There are three last start winners in the mix with #9 Dissident (Group 1 Memsie Stakes, 1400m, Caulfield, 30/08/2014), #10 Late Charge (Benchmark 78, 1200m, Caulfield, 30/08/2014) and #11 Don Doremo (Benchmark 64, 1400m, Cranbourne, 28/08/2014)
- #9 Dissident ($3.10 out from $3) is the favourite this year and has an imposing statistic to overcome
- In the past 10 years the only favourite to win the Makybe Diva Stakes was Weekend Hussler (2008)
- #9 Dissident also has to do what only 4 horses have done in over 50 years by taking out the Memsie Stakes – Makybe Diva Stakes double
- The last to do so was Weekend Hussler (2008) but before that it was Lord (1961) 53 years earlier
- Weekend Hussler was the only Memsie winner since 1997 to back up in the Makybe Diva and one of only three in the past 30 years to attempt the double
- Mares also have a poor record in the race with only four female Makybe Diva Stakes winners in the past 31 years and there are none trying to break the hoodoo in 2014
- The best lead-up race form wise for the Makybe Diva has been the Group 2 PB Lawrence Stakes producing 18 of the past 31 Makybe Diva Stakes winners
- This year horses coming via a PB Lawrence run from August 16 are early market mover for Saturday #8 Spillway (2nd) and last year’s Makybe Diva Stakes runner-up #6 Puissance De Lune (6th) who won the 2013 edition of the lead-up race
- The Memsie Stakes has also proven a nice Makybe Diva guide in recent years with five of the past 31 winners of the latter coming via the Caulfield race
- Along with this year’s Memsie Stakes winner #9 Dissident the other graduates from the August 30 showdown are #6 Puissance De Lune (3rd), #3 Boban (5th), #5 Sertorious (6th), #7 Messene (9th) and #4 Super Cool (10th)
- The most successful Makybe Diva Stakes winning jockey since 1983 with three wins from 138 starts is Damien Oliver who rides #8 Spillway ($9.50 in from $12) this year
- Horses with the best Flemington track record are: #1 Green Moon (9-3-2-0), #2 Fawkner (10-5-2-1), #3 Boban (2-1-0-0) and #6 Puissance De Lune (4-2-2-0)
- Horses with the best record over the distance (1600m) are: #3 Boban (4-3-0-0), #7 Messene (5-4-0-0), #2 Fawkner (7-4-2-0), #5 Sertorius (4-2-0-1) and #1 Green Moon (4-1-1-0)
Bookmark us here at Races.com.au to view our insider Makybe Diva Stakes 2014 betting tips up shortly.
In the meantime take a couple of minutes to open your online betting account with Ladbrokes.com.au and enjoy having your first deposit matched dollar for dollar up to $250 as a bonus welcome bet!
2014 Makybe Diva Stakes Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.