James McDonald will be hoping for a quick return...
A field of potential spring superstars will face off in the Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes 2014 at Moonee Valley Racecourse on Saturday and below we have a full form guide preview and betting analysis on the weight-for-age clash.
Eleven gallopers are engaged in this year’s $250,000 Group 2 Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes (1600m), the favourite of which is recent PB Lawrence Stakes winner Star Rolling at $4.40 through Ladbrokes.com.au.
There are plenty of other top chances out to challenge Peter Morgan & Craig Widdison’s up-and-comer including The Cleaner ($5), Foreteller ($6.50) and even Gai Waterhouse’s current 2014 Melbourne Cup favourite The Offer ($11) racing first-up since a four length Sydney Cup win over the two miles in April.
That’s the story the bookies are telling but what about the Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes form guide and betting history?
To help you sort the genuine contenders from the pretenders Races.com.au have gone over the full Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes field and statistics to come up with the below must know facts.
2014 Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes winner was the Gai Waterhouse-trained Fiorente who won second-up from barrier two with Nash Rawiller aboard before going on to win the Melbourne Cup three runs later
- This year Waterhouse will saddle-up another livewire Melbourne Cup chance in the Dato’ with #2 The Offer ($11) jumping from barrier six with Tommy Berry to ride
- Last year’s winning barrier (2) this year belongs to #4 The Cleaner ($5) coming off four straight top two runs
- There has never been a first-up winner in the race and from an historical point of view only two Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes winners in the past 25 years have won with more than two previous runs for the campaign
- #2 The Offer running first-up and #4 The Cleaner coming off four previous runs this time in are the only two horses not racing second-up in the race this year to follow the form of Fiorente
- The change of date for the race means it is harder to assess successful lead-up trends as it is run a week earlier this year
- Over the past 30 years the Memsie Stakes has clearly been the best lead-up with 20 of the past 30 Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes winners having had their previous start in the Group 1 including the past five winners
- This year though there are no runners backing up from last Saturday’s Memsie Stakes
- There are four last start winners in the race with #2 The Offer (Group 1 Sydney Cup, 3200m, Randwick, 19/04/2014), #4 The Cleaner (Handicap, 1600m, Moonee Valley, 02/08/2014), #5 Mourinho (Handicap, 1500m, Moonee Valley, 23/08/2014) and #9 Star Rolling (Group 2 PB Lawrence Stakes, 1400m, Caulfield, 16/08/2014)
- The horse with the highest Win Rate is #3 Crackerjack King (64%) followed by #9 Star Rolling (42%), #4 The Cleaner (39%), #10 Gris Caro (36%) and #2 The Offer (35%)
- The top Place Rate belongs to #10 Gris Caro (79%) followed by #4 The Cleaner (68%), #2 The Offer (65%), #3 Crackerjack King (64%), #6 Pakal (59%), #9 Star Rolling (58%) and #7 Lidari (57%)
- Horses with the best record at the Moonee Valley track are: #4 The Cleaner (4-2-1-1), #5 Mourinho (8-4-1-0) and #8 Hvasstan (3-1-1-0)
- Over the distance (1600m) those with winning form are: #4 The Cleaner (12-7-2-0), #1 Foreteller (9-2-0-0), #6 Pakal (6-1-1-1), #7 Lidari (4-1-1-1), #9 Star Rolling (2-1-1-0) and #10 Gris Caro (1-1-0-0)
- As a form reference the Dato’ has produced the past two Melbourne Cup winners with the aforementioned Fiorente (2013) completing the double last year and Green Moon (2012) having run second in the Dato’ two years ago before his Melbourne Cup win
- The Dato’ has been a great guide to the Cox Plate with nine Cox Plate winners coming through the race in the past 30 years including six horses that won the double
- Favourites have a top recent record in the race with 10 Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes winners in the past 15 years starting at $3.20 or shorter including six favourites
- The last horse to win at longer than $8 in that time was then Guillotine ($31, 2008)
- This year’s favourite out to continue the trend for the punters is #9 Star Rolling ($4.40)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au to view our insider Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes betting tips to be published shortly.
Already have your selections for Moonee Valley Race 7 on Saturday and want to lock them in at the hottest prices?
Then head to Ladbrokes.com.au and open an account with the online bookie rewarding new depositing players with a bonus welcome bet valued up to $250!
2014 Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.