A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
Whittlesea-based trainers Peter Morgan & Craig Widdison will saddle-up two livewire chances in the Group 2 features at Moonee Valley Racecourse this Saturday including the narrow top fancy in the Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes 2014 – Star Rolling.
Earlier on the card the duo is represented by $9 second pick in the markets led by the world’s top sprinter Lankan Rupee ($1.26) with their progressive and nicely-weighted filly Eloping in the $200,000 Group 2 Mitty’s McEwen Stakes (1000m).
Then two events later in Moonee Valley Race 7 at 4:00pm the team has Star Rolling as the $4.50 favourite through Ladbrokes.com.au to win the $250,000 Group 2 Dato’ Tan Chin Nam Stakes (1600m).
The classic weight-for-age mile feature, and Cox Plate and Melbourne Cup lead-up, features a final field of 11 with Casino Prince gelding Star Rolling leading the charge.
He was Group 1 performed in the autumn but could only manage to finish four lengths off the reigning Melbourne Cup winner Fiorente in the Australian Cup over 2000m at Flemington.
First-up this prep the five-year-old improved and beat home a good field of rivals with a tight win in the Group 2 P.B. Lawrence Stakes (1400m), an effort he’ll be looking to repeat here to add to his nice second-up record of two wins and a second from three attempts.
Following Star Rolling in the Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes betting markets are then five other single figure hopes with:
- #4 The Cleaner ($5) – Mick Burles’ visiting Tasmanian is somewhat of a cult figure and the punters are coming for the consistent stayer in barrier two. The veteran seven-year-old has been in career best form this season with three wins from five starts since February 26, and two seconds to round out those runs. Included there are two Moonee Valley wins to give him an excellent record at the track (4-2-1-1). He is also undefeated over the track and distance and was last seen on August 2 beating home Fast And Free when carrying 60.5kg to victory over the Moonee Valley mile, an effort he’s out to repeat in better company here dropping back to 59kg.
- #1 Foreteller ($6.50) – Chris Waller-trained galloper with the outside barrier (11) to overcome but class to do so. The Dansili eight-year-old is also getting on in the years but an Australian Cup third last autumn and a nice first-up fourth to Star Rolling, beaten just two lengths, showed this Group 1 winner still knows how to run a good race. Can handle Slow going but didn’t like the Heavy track at Rosehill when ninth in The BMW last April. Distance is a bit iffy but second-up should have improved on what he showed in the Lawrence.
- #7 Lidari ($7.50) – French import prepared by Peter Moody, this Acclamation stallion also comes via the Lawrence having run fifth in an improved run from a 16th in the Doncaster in April in the mud. Group 2 winner at Flemington in the Blamey Stakes over the 1600m earlier that season and distance record is good (4-1-1-1) as is his second-up stats (5-2-1-1). Place chance for sure.
- #6 Pakal ($8) – Mick Price prepares this German import who races at Moonee Valley for the first time here. Ran third in the Group 3 Carlyon Cup (1600m) at Caulfield in early February before a sixth to Fiorente in a blanket finish in the Peter Young Stakes over 1800m. First-up here and goes well fresh plus handles all ground so in with a shot at a top three finish.
- #11 Foundry ($8.50) – Craig Williams’ mount out to improve on a first-up 12th when beating home just one other runner in a 1500m here won by Mourinho. Before that in the autumn won over 1400m at Flemington and finished second to Lidari in the Blamey Stakes. Needs to be improving but there were excuses first-up.
Also in the mix at a generous $12 is then the current Melbourne Cup favourite The Offer whose trainer Gai Waterhouse rates him a genuine winning chance first-up here on the back of a four length Sydney Cup romp over the two miles at Randwick in April.
Check out the full Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes 2014 betting markets below, fixed win odds open online now at Ladbrokes.com.au where your first deposit will be matched 100% as a bonus welcome bet to use on a race of your choice!
2014 Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes Odds
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.