Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Today Racing Victoria’s chief handicapper Greg Carpenter announced the handicaps for the Caulfield Cup 2014, one of the big winners weight wise looking to be Roger James’s smart Kiwi mare Silent Achiever with 54.5kg.
Melbourne Cup bound this spring, connections of the four-time Group 1 winning daughter of O’Reilly could now be very tempted to use the $3 million Group 1 Crown Golden Ale Caulfield Cup (2400m) as a stepping stone to the world’s richest handicap.
Run on October 18 at Caulfield Racecourse, this year’s Caulfield Cup attracted a bumper 222 nominations including a record 44 internationals.
That gave Carpenter a tough assignment when allocating the Caulfield Cup weights, led this year by the William Haggas-trained Mukhadram with 58kg as the highest internationally rated horse, especially based on the strength and depth of the entries.
“It’s one of the most competitive renewals of the race I’ve seen,” Carpenter told TVN.
“I’ve set the puzzle….now everyone has to assess the weights and work out what they have to do and what they have to win to get in.”
Carpenter looks to have done Silent Achiever a favour with her 54.5kg allocation, the same weight she carried last year after an original handicap of 52.5kg was raised to be beaten only two and a half lengths by Fawkner when eighth.
Since then however she proved the star of the Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival going back-to-back at Rosehill to beat Carlton House in the Ranvet Stakes and It’s A Dundeel in The BMW.
Pre-weight allocations Silent Achiever paid $21 to win the Caulfield Cup at Ladbrokes.com.au, a price sure to firm this afternoon.
Carpenter said the 54.5kg was the same weight Mannerism carried to victory back in 1992 with the only mare to win with more being Tranquil Star back in 1942 with 56kg.
Key Local Caulfield Cup Weights
- Silent Achiever (54.5kg) – With this weight the autumn’s dominant weight-for-age horse is sure to be coming to the Caulfield Cup and could be hard to beat.
- Criterion (54.5kg) – Highly regarded four-year-old, more likely going into the Cox Plate. David Payne’s Sebring stallion has been given a similar weight to Sky Heights in 1999, allocated 55kg before carrying 56.5kg. The form is similar too as they won the Rosehill Guineas and AJC Derby as did Criterion in the autumn.
- The Offer (54.5kg) – Gai Waterhouse’s Sydney Cup winner is right up the early Caulfield Cup odds based on the trainer’s Melbourne Cup win last year with Fiorente. One horse, along with Silent Achiever, Carpenter admitted to nearly allocating more weight to. Very dominant with three straight wins in the autumn including a four length runaway victory in the Group 1 Sydney Cup (3200m). Visually a very impressive win but the strength of what he beat that day is somewhat questionable.
- Rising Romance (51kg) – Could be a struggle for the one-time favourite to make the field now with this light weight. Donna Logan-trained Kiwi mare travelled down under during the autumn and enjoyed a Group 1 ATC Oaks win over the 2400m at Randwick. Not form Carpenter rates highly enough for the Caulfield Cup however and she’ll be needing a ballot exempt win.
- La Amistad (50kg) – Big blow for the Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes-trained Redoute’s Choice mare, a close relation to triple Melbourne Cup winner Makybe Diva. She has been right up in the top two or three of Caulfield Cup betting but now the challenge is making the field with this weight. She’s another that will have to go into the ballot exemption offerings like the Naturalism to gain a start, and she’ll be needing to win. Carpenter described this one as a case of public sentiment v actual potential.
As mentioned above this year’s Caulfield Cup weights are led by British raider Mukhadram with 58kg, the Shamardal stallion having won the Group 1 Coral Eclipse Stakes (2000m) two back in July.
He, along with the second heaviest weighted hope Dan Excel (57kg) for expat Aussie trainer John Moore in Hong Kong, however are far from confirmed to make the trip down under.
If that’s the case then the Caulfield Cup weights will be raised two kilos to bring Japan’s Admire Rakti, allocated 56kg, up to the minimum top weight of 58kg.
Also in the picture for the $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) on November 4, Heart’s Cry seven-year-old Admire Rakti is one horse Carpenter warns not to write off.
“Anyone that thinks he is not without a winning chance need to drill right down to his form,” Carpenter said.
That form includes a very nice fourth when beaten just over a length by Gentildonna in the Group 1 Japan Cup (2413m) last November, as well as a first-up second behind a genuine champion in Gold Ship this March in the Grade 2 Hanshin Daishoten Stakes (2614m).
“He has similar and interesting form line to (2006 Melbourne Cup winner) Delta Blues,” Carpenter added.
Key Caulfield Cup Top Weights
- Mukahadram (58kg) – Top rated internationally and the natural top weight for Carpenter to allocate the 58kg to, but might not run causing weights to be raised.
- Dan Excel (57kg) – Also in doubt of travelling down under for the race, Moore’s Shamardal seven-year-old was last seen continuing his ace form this year with a win in the Group 1 Singapore International Cup (2000m) in May.
- Admire Rakti (56kg) – Awesome lead-up form according to form specialist Carpenter and could be the top weight on Caulfield Cup Day if Mukhadram and Dan Excel don’t accept.
- Fawkner (56kg) – The defending Caulfield Cup champion is out to become the seventh dual winner of the classic, but only two before him have done it back-to-back with Poseidon (1906-07) and Rising Fast (1954-55). Robert Hickmott-trained Reset seven-year-old hasn’t raced since a seventh in the William Reid Stakes back in March.
“It’s a challenge for him,” Carpenter said of Fawkner’s bid at a successive Caulfield Cup trophy in 2014.
“We’ve only seen him sparingly since last year.
“It’s a test for him to defend his crown this year.”
- Red Cadeaux (55.5kg) – Dual Melbourne Cup runner-up Red Cadeaux is confirmed as coming down under for a fourth shot at the ‘race that stops a nation’ but could this year run in his first Caulfield Cup. Prepared by Ed Dunlop at Newmarket this European nine-year-old caught the eye first-up in the Geoffrey Freer when running a close fourth but Carpenter has been kind with his allocation as no horse this age has won the Caulfield Cup.
Other Key International Caulfield Cup Weights
- Dandino (55kg) – Confirmed as a non-runner today with connections to focus solely on the Melbourne Cup for last year’s Caulfield Cup runner-up owned by Australia’s ATB but raced in Europe under the care of Marco Botti.
- Bande (54.5kg) – The other highly touted Japanese raider in the mix for both the Caulfield and Melbourne Cup this year, he ran third to Gold Ship in the Grade 2 form that Carpenter rates highly before an impressive all the way win in Listed company to win by five lengths last time out proving a progressive stayer with genuine claims down under.
- Protectionist (54.5kg) – Andreas Wohler-trained German raider that won the Group 2 Prix Kergorlay (3000m) on August 24, a French race that has proven to be a great form line for the spring cups down under in recent years.
- Seismos (54kg) – Marco Botti’s veteran returned to winning form at Newbury last month to beat home the likes of Red Cadeaux (4th) in the Group 3 Geoffrey Freer (2700m). Another ATB-owned galloper with claims for Darren Dance and co.
See below for the full 2014 Caulfield Cup handicaps, the first acceptances taken next Tuesday, September 9.
Our preferred online bookie Ladbrokes.com.au will be releasing their updated Caulfield Cup odds shortly so make sure you’ve got an account open and ready to go with the country’s best bookie this spring!
2014 Caulfield Cup Weights
Caulfield Racecourse – 18/10/2014
|1||MUKHADRAM (GB)||William Haggas||58kg||1|
|2||DAN EXCEL (IRE)||John Moore||57kg||2|
|3||ADMIRE RAKTI (JPN)||Tomoyuki Umeda||56kg||3|
|5||RED CADEAUX (GB)||Ed Dunlop||55.5kg||3.5|
|6||CAVALRYMAN (GB)||Saeed Bin Suroor||55kg||4|
|7||DANDINO (GB)||Marco Botti||55kg||4|
|8||GREEN MOON (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||55kg||4|
|9||SEA MOON (GB)||Robert Hickmott||55kg||4|
|10||SMOKING SUN (USA)||Pascal Bary||55kg||4|
|11||BANDE (IRE)||Yoshito Yahagi||54.5kg||4.5|
|12||CRITERION (NZ)||David Payne||54.5kg||3|
|13||FORETELLER (GB)||Chris Waller||54.5kg||4.5|
|14||PROTECTIONIST (GER)||Andreas Wohler||54.5kg||4.5|
|15||SIDE GLANCE (GB)||Andrew Balding||54.5kg||4.5|
|16||SILENT ACHIEVER (NZ)||Roger James||54.5kg||3|
|17||THE OFFER (IRE)||Gai Waterhouse||54.5kg||4.5|
|18||BROWN PANTHER (GB)||Tom Dascombe||54kg||5|
|19||GRANDEUR (IRE)||Jeremy Noseda||54kg||5|
|20||MOUNT ATHOS (IRE)||Marco Botti||54kg||5|
|21||PUISSANCE DE LUNE (IRE)||Darren Weir||54kg||5|
|22||SEISMOS (IRE)||Marco Botti||54kg||5|
|23||TERRUBI (IRE)||David Payne||54kg||5|
|25||HILLSTAR (GB)||Sir Michael Stoute||53.5kg||5.5|
|26||PETHER’S MOON (IRE)||Richard Hannon||53.5kg||5.5|
|27||CERTERACH (IRE)||Michael Halford||53kg||6|
|28||MORIARTY (IRE)||Chris Waller||53kg||6|
|29||MUTUAL REGARD (IRE)||Johnny Murtagh||53kg||6|
|30||ROYAL DESCENT||Chris Waller||53kg||4.5|
|31||SERTORIUS||Jamie Edwards & Bruce Elkington||53kg||6|
|32||STAR ROLLING||Peter Morgan & Craig Widdison||53kg||6|
|33||ALMANDIN (GER)||Robert Hickmott||52.5kg||6.5|
|34||AMBIVALENT (IRE)||Roger Varian||52.5kg||5|
|35||DEAR DEMI||Clarry Conners||52.5kg||5|
|36||GATEWOOD (GB)||John Gosden||52.5kg||6.5|
|37||PAKAL (GER)||Mick Price||52.5kg||6.5|
|38||PRECEDENCE (NZ)||Bart & James Cummings||52.5kg||6.5|
|39||PUCCINI (NZ)||Peter & Jacob McKay||52.5kg||5|
|40||TOP TRIP (GB)||Francois Doumen||52.5kg||6.5|
|41||WEARY (FR)||Chris Waller||52.5kg||6.5|
|43||BLACK TYCOON||Darren Weir||52kg||7|
|44||IBICENCO (GER)||Peter G Moody||52kg||7|
|45||JUNOOB (GB)||Chris Waller||52kg||7|
|46||LASER HAWK||Joseph Pride||52kg||7|
|47||MR O’CEIRIN (NZ)||Ciaron Maher||52kg||7|
|48||MY KINGDOM OF FIFE (GB)||Chris Waller||52kg||7|
|49||OUR VOODOO PRINCE (GB)||Chris Waller||52kg||7|
|50||SANGSTER (NZ)||Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young||52kg||7|
|51||SINGING (FR)||Kris Lees||52kg||7|
|52||SPILLWAY (GB)||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||52kg||7|
|53||STIPULATE (GB)||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||52kg||7|
|54||VOLEUSE DE COEURS (IRE)||Michael Moroney||52kg||5.5|
|55||ADMIRE FLIGHT (JPN)||Mitsuru Hashida||51.5kg||7.5|
|56||BRAMBLES (NZ)||Peter G Moody||51.5kg||7.5|
|57||CONTRIBUTER (IRE)||John O’Shea||51.5kg||7.5|
|58||CRACKERJACK KING (IRE)||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||51.5kg||7.5|
|59||ENTIRELY PLATINUM (NZ)||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||51.5kg||7.5|
|60||HAVANA BEAT (IRE)||Andrew Balding||51.5kg||7.5|
|61||JUST THE JUDGE (IRE)||Charles Hills||51.5kg||6|
|62||LIDARI (FR)||Peter G Moody||51.5kg||7.5|
|63||MASKED MARVEL (GB)||Robert Hickmott||51.5kg||7.5|
|64||OPINION (IRE)||Chris Waller||51.5kg||7.5|
|65||OUTBACK JOE||Nigel Blackiston||51.5kg||7.5|
|66||SLOW PACE (USA)||Kris Lees||51.5kg||7.5|
|67||WHO SHOT THEBARMAN (NZ)||Chris Waller||51.5kg||7.5|
|68||ARALDO (GB)||Michael Moroney||51kg||8|
|69||AU REVOIR (IRE)||Andre Fabre||51kg||8|
|70||BONFIRE (GB)||Gai Waterhouse||51kg||8|
|71||DESTINY’S KISS||Joseph Pride||51kg||8|
|72||FOUNDRY (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||51kg||8|
|73||GLORIOUS PROTECTOR (IRE)||Ed Walker||51kg||8|
|75||KINGDOMS (NZ)||Brian Smith||51kg||8|
|76||KIRRAMOSA (NZ)||John Sargent||51kg||5|
|77||LUCIA VALENTINA (NZ)||Kris Lees||51kg||5|
|78||RISING ROMANCE (NZ)||Donna Logan||51kg||5|
|79||SCAPOLO (NZ)||Kevin Myers||51kg||8|
|81||TUPAC AMARU||John O’Shea||51kg||6.5|
|82||VENUS DE MILO (IRE)||Aidan O’Brien||51kg||6.5|
|83||ZEPHYRON (NZ)||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||51kg||8|
|84||CAFE SOCIETY (FR)||David Simcock||50.5kg||8.5|
|85||LE ROI (GER)||Tony McEvoy||50.5kg||8.5|
|86||MANALAPAN (IRE)||Patrick Prendergast||50.5kg||8.5|
|87||MY QUEST FOR PEACE (IRE)||Luca Cumani||50.5kg||8.5|
|88||SIRIUS (GER)||Andreas Lowe||50.5kg||5.5|
|89||VAN PERCY (GB)||Andrew Balding||50.5kg||8.5|
|91||ALI VITAL (NZ)||Robbie Laing||50kg||9|
|92||ANCIENT KING (IRE)||Peter G Moody||50kg||9|
|93||ANGEL GABRIAL (IRE)||Richard Fahey||50kg||9|
|94||AOMEN (IRE)||Anthony Cummings||50kg||9|
|95||ARCHEAN (USA)||David Vandyke||50kg||9|
|96||ASTRONOMOS (GB)||David Vandyke||50kg||9|
|97||AUSSIE REIGNS (IRE)||William J Knight||50kg||9|
|98||AVERAU||Peter Morgan & Craig Widdison||50kg||9|
|99||AY NO DIGAS (GER)||Kris Lees||50kg||9|
|100||BARDEM (NZ)||Peter G Moody||50kg||9|
|101||BEST CASE (NZ)||Anthony Cummings||50kg||9|
|102||BEYOND THANKFUL (IRE)||Chris Waller||50kg||9|
|103||BIG MEMORY (FR)||Tony McEvoy||50kg||9|
|104||BIOGRAPHER (GB)||David Lanigan||50kg||9|
|105||BRING SOMETHING||Ken Keys||50kg||9|
|106||CAILLEBOTTE (IRE)||Mick Price||50kg||9|
|107||CAMPANOLOGY (GB)||Chris Waller||50kg||9|
|108||CANNY BALLAD||Joseph Pride||50kg||9|
|109||CARAVAN ROLLS ON (GB)||Danny O’Brien||50kg||9|
|110||CELTIC PRINCE (NZ)||Bjorn Baker||50kg||9|
|111||COMMANDING TIME||Brendan McCarthy||50kg||9|
|112||COSTUME (NZ)||Graeme & Debbie Rogerson||50kg||7.5|
|113||COUNT OF LIMONADE (IRE)||Mick Price||50kg||9|
|114||DANCHAI (GB)||Chris Waller||50kg||9|
|115||DARK THUNDER (NZ)||Robbie Laing||50kg||9|
|116||DEANE MARTIN (NZ)||Bruce Wallace||50kg||9|
|117||DENONINATOR||John Symons & Sheila Laxon||50kg||9|
|118||DESERT JEUNEY||Nigel Blackiston||50kg||9|
|120||DON DOREMO (NZ)||Robbie Laing||50kg||9|
|121||EGO’S BETTER||Ray Cross||50kg||9|
|122||EPINGLE (NZ)||Michael Kent||50kg||7.5|
|123||EVANGELIST (GB)||Tony McEvoy||50kg||9|
|124||FALAMONTE (NZ)||Robbie Laing||50kg||9|
|125||FAST DRAGON||Bruce Wallace||50kg||9|
|126||FLEDGED (GB)||Tony McEvoy||50kg||9|
|128||FORGOTTEN HERO (IRE)||Charles Hills||50kg||9|
|129||GABRIAL (IRE)||Richard Fahey||50kg||9|
|131||GAMBLIN’ GURU||Leon Macdonald & Andrew Gluyas||50kg||8|
|132||GOLDONI (IRE)||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||50kg||9|
|133||GREATWOOD (GB)||Gai Waterhouse||50kg||9|
|134||GRIS CARO (GB)||Jake Stephens||50kg||9|
|135||HARTANI (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||50kg||9|
|136||HATHRAS (GB)||Kris Lees||50kg||9|
|137||HE’S YOUR MAN (FR)||Chris Waller||50kg||9|
|138||HIPPOPUS (NZ)||Gai Waterhouse||50kg||9|
|139||HOOKED||John P Thompson||50kg||7.5|
|140||INITIATOR (GB)||Aaron Purcell||50kg||9|
|141||INTIMATE MOMENT (NZ)||Ron Quinton||50kg||9|
|142||JACQUINOT BAY||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||50kg||9|
|143||KAPOUR (IRE)||Ciaron Maher||50kg||9|
|144||KELINNI (IRE)||Marco Botti||50kg||9|
|145||KINCAPLE (NZ)||Mark Webb||50kg||9|
|146||KINGFISHER (IRE)||Aidan O’Brien||50kg||7|
|147||KOURKAM (FR)||Tony McEvoy||50kg||9|
|148||LA AMISTAD||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||50kg||7.5|
|149||LAIDBACK LARRY (NZ)||Gai Waterhouse||50kg||9|
|150||LET’S MAKE ADEAL||Nigel Blackiston||50kg||8.5|
|151||LIVERY (IRE)||Robert Smerdon||50kg||9|
|152||LORNA MAY||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||50kg||9|
|153||MADE TO ORDER||Chris Waller||50kg||9|
|154||MAGNAPAL||Terry & Karina O’Sullivan||50kg||9|
|155||MANDURO’S SON (IRE)||Michael Moroney||50kg||9|
|156||MARKSMANSHIP (IRE)||Ciaron Maher||50kg||9|
|157||MARTIAN (IRE)||Tony McEvoy||50kg||9|
|158||MARTINVAST (IRE)||Archie Alexander||50kg||9|
|159||MASSIYN (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||50kg||9|
|160||MAURUS (GB)||David Vandyke||50kg||9|
|161||MICHELANGELO (GB)||Gai Waterhouse||50kg||9|
|163||MISTER IMPATIENCE (GB)||Michael Moroney||50kg||9|
|164||MOBACO (FR)||Darren Weir||50kg||9|
|165||MOMENT IN TIME (IRE)||David Simcock||50kg||8|
|166||MORE THAN SACRED||Robert Smerdon||50kg||8.5|
|167||MULTILATERAL (USA)||Chris Waller||50kg||9|
|168||MURPHY’S DELIGHT (IRE)||Chris Waller||50kg||9|
|169||NEVIS (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||50kg||9|
|170||NOBLE PROTECTOR (GB)||Stuart Kittow||50kg||8|
|171||OMINOUS (GB)||Nigel Blackiston||50kg||9|
|172||ORATOR (IRE)||Francis-Henri Graffard||50kg||9|
|173||ORDER OF THE SUN||Gai Waterhouse||50kg||9|
|174||ORIENTAL LADY (GER)||Kris Lees||50kg||9|
|175||PENTOMETER (NZ)||Chris Waller||50kg||9|
|176||PHARRELL (NZ)||Nick Harnett||50kg||9|
|177||PINSTRIPE LANE (NZ)||Leon & Troy Corstens||50kg||7.5|
|178||PLUTOCRACY (IRE)||David Lanigan||50kg||9|
|179||POLYANTHA||Graeme & Debbie Rogerson||50kg||9|
|180||PRINCE OF PENZANCE (NZ)||Darren Weir||50kg||9|
|182||PYTHAGOREAN (GB)||Chris Waller||50kg||9|
|183||QUAYSIDE||Peter G Moody||50kg||9|
|185||RAWNAQ||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||50kg||9|
|187||RENEW (IRE)||Marco Botti||50kg||9|
|188||RIO PERDIDO (FR)||Kris Lees||50kg||9|
|189||SABOR A TRIUNFO (CHI)||Peter & Paul Snowden||50kg||9|
|190||SAGUARO (NZ)||Peter G Moody||50kg||9|
|191||SAINT DESIR (GB)||Tony McEvoy||50kg||9|
|192||SAINTLY LAD||Bart & James Cummings||50kg||9|
|193||SCINTILLULA (IRE)||John Symons & Sheila Laxon||50kg||8.5|
|194||SCRATCHY BOTTOM||Michael Kent||50kg||9|
|195||SHIKARPOUR (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||50kg||9|
|196||SIGNOFF (IRE)||Darren Weir||50kg||9|
|197||SIR JOHN HAWKWOOD (IRE)||Peter G Moody||50kg||9|
|198||SIR WALTER SCOTT (IRE)||Luca Cumani||50kg||9|
|199||SOLICIT||Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra||50kg||6.5|
|200||SPIRIT OF HEAVEN (NZ)||Peter G Moody||50kg||9|
|201||ST JEAN (IRE)||Aaron Purcell||50kg||9|
|202||STREAMING BY (GB)||Tony McEvoy||50kg||9|
|203||SWEET AS BRO (NZ)||Leon & Troy Corstens||50kg||9|
|204||TERONADO||Bruce W Hill||50kg||8.5|
|205||TEXT’N HURLEY||Colin Little||50kg||8.5|
|206||THE UNITED STATES (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||50kg||9|
|207||THOUGHT WORTHY (USA)||Robert Hickmott||50kg||9|
|208||TRADE COMMISSIONER (IRE)||Chris Waller||50kg||9|
|209||TREMEC (NZ)||John P Thompson||50kg||9|
|210||TRISTRAM’S SUN (NZ)||Robbie Laing||50kg||9|
|211||TUCANCHOO (NZ)||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||50kg||9|
|212||TURNER BAYOU (NZ)||Patrick Payne||50kg||9|
|213||UNCHAIN MY HEART||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||50kg||8.5|
|214||VILANOVA (NZ)||Chris Waller||50kg||7.5|
|215||WEISSMULLER (NZ)||Andrew R Campbell||50kg||9|
|216||WISH COME TRUE (IRE)||Peter G Moody||50kg||9|
|217||WROTHAM HEATH (GB)||David Hayes & Tom Dabernig||50kg||9|
|219||ZEVADA (NZ)||Tony Noonan||50kg||9|
|220||HUNTERS GRACE||Daniel P Kelly||49kg||9|
*Excludes two from nomination stage
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.