This Saturday in Melbourne the opening Group 1 race of the season sees a star-studded field of weight-for-age stars face off in the Memsie Stakes 2014, a detailed form and betting analysis on the Caulfield feature found below.
There are 11 gallopers in the mix for this year’s $400,000 Group 1 New Zealand Bloodstock Memsie Stakes (1400m), including six that already boast at least one Group 1 win on their record, which Ladbrokes.com.au are offering a money back $50 bonus bet offer on if your pick is second past the post!
One of those is currently sharing top spot in the latest Memsie Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au with the Chris Waller-trained Boban equal $4.40 favourite with the progressive Messene.
Boban has three Group 1s and counting, the Bernardini six-year-old coming off a fourth in the Group 2 Missile Stakes first-up.
He was to have run in Sydney last Saturday but a wet track forced his scratching from the Warwick Stakes field, the same as the Team Hawkes-trained Messene who was runner-up in the Missile and who heads towards a run in the $3 million Group 1 Cox Plate (2040m) at Moonee Valley on October 25.
Also at single figures in the Memsie Stakes betting are the likes of Missile Stakes winner Sweet Idea ($5.50) for who money is coming for the Gai Waterhouse-trained mare to beat home the boys again and the Peter Moody-trained Moment Of Change ($6) with an undefeated four-from-four record at the track and distance.
With such a close market plus plenty of livewire chances at juicy double figure odds, below we’ve uncovered the must know Memsie Stakes facts based on the form and history to help you pick the winner and lock them in at Ladbrokes.com.au this weekend!
2014 Memsie Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Memsie Stakes winner was the Mark Kavanagh-trained Atlantic Jewel who won the race first-up from barrier 7 (of 13) with Michael Rodd in the saddle
- This year Kavanagh seeks back-to-back wins with #4 Super Cool ($26) who also races first-up here and has drawn last year’s winning barrier (7)
- Barrier seven however has produced just the one Memsie Stakes winner since 1983
- The most successful Memsie Stakes barrier in that time has been four with five winners which on Saturday belongs to #7 Messene ($4.40)
- Other successful gates in the past 31 years with four winners each are then three and five which belong this year to #9 Silent Achiever ($10) and #10 Gig ($61) respectively
- Also kicking off their campaign in the Memsie this year then are #5 Sertorius ($31), #8 Dissident ($15) and current 2014 Cox Plate favourite #9 Silent Achiever ($10)
- There are then three mares including Melbourne Cup hope #9 Silent Achiever looking to go back-to-back for the girls with #10 Gig ($61) and #11 Sweet Idea ($5.50) the other two
- Stayers also have a good record in the Memsie Stakes including triple Melbourne Cup winner Makybe Diva who took it out in 2005 in her only victory over less than 2000m and dual Cox Plate champ So You Think (2010)
- Looking at that form line, last year’s Cox Plate runner-up #1 Happy Trails ($17) runs in the Memsie this Saturday
- Favourites have a good recent record in the race with six of the past 10 winning at an average price of $2.91 including the past two with Atlantic Jewel (2013) and Sincero (2012); this year the current equal $4.40 favourites are #2 Boban and #7 Messene
- If they don’t win, the favourites are a great Each Way or Place bet as none of the top elects in the past decade have finished out of the top three
- Horses with the best record at the Caulfield track are: #3 Moment Of Change (5-4-1-0), #5 Serotrius (4-2-2-0), #1 Happy Trails (5-1-1-0), #4 Super Cool (5-1-1-3), #2 Boban (2-1-0-0) and #10 Gig (7-0-5-1)
- Horses with the best record over the 1400m distance are: #2 Boban (9-4-2-0), #3 Moment Of Change (6-4-0-2), #7 Messene (4-3-1-0), #8 Dissident (2-1-1-0), #6 Puissance De Lune (2-1-0-0) and #11 Sweet Idea (2-1-0-0)
- #3 Moment Of Change (4-4-0-0) is undefeated at the track and distance including three Group 1 wins over the 1400m at Caulfield
- Other previous winners at the track and distance are then: #2 Boban (1-1-0-0) and #6 Puissance De Lune (2-1-0-0)
- The best Win Rate of the field belongs to #7 Messene (64%) followed by #11 Sweet Idea (43%)#6 Puissance De Lune (42%), #2 Boban (38%) and #9 Silent Achiever (38%)
- The best Place Rate then belongs to #7 Messene (86%) and #11 Sweet Idea (86%) followed by #3 Moment Of Change (74%), #5 Sertorius (71%), #6 Puissance De Lune (68%), #8 Dissident (62%) and #4 Super Cool (60%)
Think you’ve picked your Memsie Stakes selections based on the above?
Then head to Ladbrokes.com.au now and bet with confidence knowing your money will be refunded as a bonus $50 bet if your horse runs second in this year’s Memsie Stakes!