Doomben 10,000 winner English could be racing...
Exciting Godolphin-raced youngster Orujo is after another win following a first-up success at Sandown when he jumps favourite in Saturday’s McKenzie Stakes 2014 at Moonee Valley Racecourse.
The Exceed And Excel colt returned to racing on August 6 in his fifth career start and won first-up over 1000m.
Now the John O’Shea-trained up-and-comer steps up in class for a black-type assignment in the city racing in the $120,000 Listed Essendon Nissan McKenzie Stakes (1200m).
There were originally a dozen three-year-old colts and geldings making up the field for Moonee Valley Race 6 on Saturday.
John Moloney has scratched #9 Belflyer however leaving 11 hopefuls, the Ladbrokes.com.au favourite of which is Orujo paying $3.70.
Also the market mover he has a wide barrier 10 draw to overcome but the class to do it as proven by their earlier three length Bendigo win in February and a second to subsequent Group 3 Breeders’ Stakes winner in Adelaide London Lolly in the Listed St Albans Stakes (1200m) in his first look at the notoriously tight Moonee Valley circuit.
Five of Orujo’s rivals in the McKenzie Stakes are also under $10 to win with:
- #10 Caveka ($5.50) – Inside draw for this 2014 Caulfield Guineas-bound Written Tycoon gelding prepared by Peter Moody, the youngster coming off a debut win on the Geelong synthetic from August 8 over this distance with Vlad Duric aboard, Duric retaining the ride for the weekend
- #3 Petrology ($6.50) – David Hayes & Tom Dabernig prepare this Fastnet Rock colt which has won one of his three starts and run second in his two most recent runs both at Caulfield over 1200m behind Pressing, most recent of those was on May 3 in the Listed Redoute’s Choice Stakes and first-up he is looking to fire and earn a tougher assignment this spring
- #5 Coram ($6.50) – Sebring gelding prepared by Leon & Troy Corstens has had three runs this time in, won at Geelong on July 18 before a second in a Benchmark 70 over 1410m at Flemington on August 9, back down in distance so could find it a bit sharp especially as they are a roughie chance at the $1 million Caulfield Guineas on October 11 over the 1600m
- #1 Merion ($7) – Great price on the Michael Moroney-trained O’Reilly gelding, undefeated in two runs, debuted over 1300m on a Slow Bendigo track before Flemington’s Listed ANZAC Day Stakes (1410m) on April 25, spruiked to improve getting out over more metres as shown in his $21 Caulfield Guineas price at Ladbrokes.com.au but wouldn’t surprise with a win here
- #7 Fast Cash ($7) – Charge Forward gelding from the Cranbourne stables of Wendy Kelly, won on debut at Sandown before a second at Bendigo on August 13, first trip to big city and how he handles the tight turns at the Valley will be key
See below for the full Essendon Nissan McKenzie Stakes 2014 odds, fixed win prices open online at our preferred online sportsbook Ladbrokes.com.au who are matching the first deposits of new customers 100% up to $250 as a bonus bet this season!
2014 McKenzie Stakes Odds
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.