Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Barriers and odds are now out for Monday’s Darwin Cup 2014 at Fannie Bay Racecourse with former Victorian galloper Smarty Mac the narrow favourite after a favourable mid-field draw.
The Dick Leech-trained seven-year-old, who has been based in Darwin for only a month, pays $4.60 in the Ladbrokes.com.au markets for $200,000 Carlton Mid Darwin Cup (2000m) running as Race 9 with a capacity field engaged to face off.
And you can back them stress free at Ladbrokes who are offering a bonus money back bet up to $50 on the Darwin Cup if your runner finishes second or third!
Set to jump from barrier eight, into seven if the first emergency fails to get a run, Akhadan gelding Smarty Mac won the Chief Minister’s Cup over the two miles two back in their Darwin debut after a stable transfer from Darren Weir.
They then ran second to The Ruffian last time out after striking interference in the Buntine Handicap (1900m) on July 19, doing well to finish second best especially with their big 59kg.
The drop back to 54.5kg then for Monday will suit and the bookies believe it should be enough for them to take out the lucrative feature.
There are then five other single figure fancies in Darwin Cup betting at Ladbrokes.com.au with:
- #1 Lightinthenite ($5.50) – Nice gate four draw for the 60kg top weight, Gary Clarke’s local Galielo seven-year-old last seen running fourth in the Chief Ministers Cup with 62kg, drop back two kilos for this then and will appreciate the extra metres
- #3 Cantonese ($5.50) – Was tipped to start clear favourite but a wide barrier 13 draw saw them ease out in their price, Blake Shinn rides on 56kg with Neil Dyer’s visiting Victorian coming off four runs in the Northern Territory, two back they were runner-up in the Chief Ministers then they raced in the Metric Mile last Saturday finishing third when carrying 57.5kg from the inside alley, less weight and more metres both advantages here
- #7 Saturday Sorcerer ($6) – Winner of the Metric Mile, the form of which has held up in the Darwin Cup over the years, Stuart Gower’s Adelaide-based five-year-old hasn’t won over further than 1600m before so the distance will be the test as they can handle the class
- #8 Royal Request ($7) – Out wide in barrier 14 but still plenty of money for Dyer’s other runner, the Bel Esprit four-year-old having won two of their past three starts all at this track, won their Darwin debut over 1300m then finished second over the mile behind Gravitational a month back before their victory at the track and distance on July 19 in the NT Derby
- #5 The Ruffian ($9) – Another last start winner, Sheila Arnold’s Lonhro gelding is another visitor from Victoria who is well suited to the 2000m, enjoyed a run at Darwin when defeating Smarty Mac on July 19 over 1900m and who drops back in weight from last start (59kg) to 56kg for Monday
Outside the single figure hopes are then plenty of other talented runners with genuine claims including the ultra-consistent local four-year-old NT Derby runner-up Gravitational ($11) and early market mover Differing Fortunes ($14) looking to improve on their Metric Mile seventh.
See below for the full Darwin Cup 2014 field, barriers and betting odds as provided by our preferred online betting agency Ladbrokes.com.au offering money back on the race if your horse runs second or third on Monday!
2014 Darwin Cup Odds
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.