Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
The Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival’s showcase race runs at Eagle Farm Racecourse on Saturday, a detailed Stradbroke Handicap 2014 form guide analysis and betting preview found below.
Jumping as Race 8 at 3:40pm, this year’s $1.36 million Group 1 AAMI Stradbroke Handicap (1400m) has expectedly drawn a capacity field with 18 confirmed starters plus five emergencies lying in wait.
Just four of those however are under double figures to win in the latest Stradbroke Handicap odds, and two are sharing $5 favouritism in the Ladbrokes.com.au markets.
Former sole favourite Srikandi is back into $5 after easing out to $6 after drawing gate 17 (possibly into 14) at yesterday’s Stradbroke Handicap barrier draw.
It’s a starting position wider than her trainer Ciaron Maher originally hoped for, but one jockey Glen Boss is confident she can jump well from and still race positively from.
She won her sixth on the trot, third with Boss in the saddle, at Doomben a fortnight ago from barrier 13 in the Group 3 Glenlogan Park Stakes (1350m) in sensational time and it’s that form the bookies are tipping her to repeat when stepped up in class on Saturday.
Hucklebuck then firmed right in after the Phillip Stokes-trained three-year-old drew the inside alley.
The next line of Stradbroke Handicap betting is then shared by the Tony Gollan-trained Doomben 10,000 champ Spirit Of Boom looking to finish their career on track on a high and Gary Portelli’s Sydney raider Rebel Dane both at $7.50.
That’s what the bookies are saying leading up to the Stradbroke, but what about the race history and form guide?
2014 Stradbroke Handicap Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Stradbroke Handicap winner was the John Sadler-trained Linton who backed up from a win in Adelaide, jumped from barrier 16 (of 18) and carried 54.5kg with Nicholas Hall aboard
- This year #6 Smokin’ Joey ($17) comes into the race on the back of an Adelaide victory having won the Group 1 The Goodwood (1200m) on May 10 as a $41 roughie
- There are then five other last start winners in the mix with #1 Spirit Of Boom (Group 1 Doomben 10,000, 1350m, Doomben, 24/05/2014), #7 River Lad (Group 3 BRC Sprint, 1350m, Doomben, 17/05/2014), #9 Sacred Star (Group 2 QTC Cup, 1300m, Eagle Farm, 31/05/2014), #14 Reparations (Listed Anniversary Vase, 1440m, Caulfield, 03/05/2014) and #17 Srikandi (Group 3 Glenlogan Park Stakes, 1350m, Doomben, 24/05/2014)
- Before Linton (2013) however the most recent Stradbroke winner to come off a victory was Never Undercharge (1993) who also came off a Morphettville victory
- Only four last start winners in total have won the race in the past 30 years
- The Doomben 10,000 has been the key lead-up producing six of the past 10 Stradbroke Handicap winners
- Horses coming off the Doomben 10,000 this year are Spirit Of Boom (1st), Temple Of Boom (2nd), Rebel Dane (4th), Knoydart (5th), fifth emergency Scream Machine (6th), Famous Seamus (9th) and last placegetter Conservatorium (11th)
- Last year’s winning barrier (16) was drawn by #4 Red Tracer ($10) but will belong to $21 chance #5 Temple Of Boom (18) if both emergencies come out
- Barrier 16 has produced just one Stradbroke Handicap winner in the past 30 years
- There are then four barriers to produce three winners in that time with 3, 4, 6 and 12
- Favourites have a poor recent record with just one saluting in the past 10 years; #17 Srikandi and #18 Hucklebuck are out to buck the trend this year sharing top spot at $5 currently
- The last Stradbroke Handicap favourite to win was Black Piranha in 2009; they won again in 2010 but were a 20-1 outsider
- Linton won at 25-1 last year and Mid Summer Music was at 30-1 in 2012
- Mid Summer Music was also the last mare to win the Stradbroke; this year the mares in the mix are #4 Red Tracer ($10), #16 Scorpio Queen ($101), #17 Srikandi ($5) and #22e Belle de Coeur ($51)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #17 Srikandi (86%) followed by #18 Hucklebuck (56%), #14 Reparations (44%), #13 Emblems (43%), #4 Red Tracer (42%), #2 Rebel Dane (40%), #22e Belle de Coeur (38%), #7 River Lad (33%), #9 Sacred Star (33%) and #3 Famous Seamus (30%)
- The best Place Percentage also belongs to #17 Srikandi (100%) who is yet to finish out of the money followed by #4 Red Tracer (81%), #10 Knoydart (79%), #18 Hucklebuck (78%), #22e Belle de Coeur (75%), #7 River Lad (64%), #13 Emblems (64%) and #1 Spirit Of Boom (57%)
- Those with good form over the distance (1400m) are: #4 Red Tracer (10-5-3-1), #1 Spirit Of Boom (7-2-1-0), #2 Rebel Dane (5-2-1-0), #6 Smokin’ Joey (16-4-1-1-), #7 River Lad (7-2-2-1), #8 Conservatorium (8-3-1-1-1), #9 Sacred Star (3-1-1-0), #14 Reparations (11-3-1-1), #17 Srikandi (1-1-0-0) and #18 Hucklebuck (3-2-0-0)
- #4 Red Tracer boasts three wins from four starts over the track and distance; the only other winners over the 1400m at Eagle Farm are then #7 River Lad (3-1-1-0) and #11 Belltone (6-1-2-1)
See below for the full Stradbroke Handicap 2014 form guide, and stay tuned for our insider tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime get ready to back your Straddie selections and enjoy Best Tote or SP + 20% on your winnings online at Ladbrokes.com.au by signing up with our preferred online bookmaker.
2014 Stradbroke Handicap Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.