Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The biggest juvenile’s race of the Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival is Saturday’s J.J. Atkins 2014, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for the Eagle Farm feature listed below.
There are 11 two-year-olds making up the field for this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Tatts Group J.J. Atkins (1600m) which kicks off the triple shot of Group 1 racing action of Stradbroke Handicap Day as Race 6 at 2:20pm.
Of the youngsters in the mix it is the Chris Waller-trained Brazen Beau dominating JJ Atkins betting at a short $2.05 and firming after drawing well in barrier four with Nash Rawiller to ride.
They were slow out of the gates last start in the Group 2 BRC Sires’ Produce Stakes and so failed to go back-to-back after previously winning the Group 2 Champagne Classic.
After making up late ground however the colt was only beaten narrowly by Time For War and so are well fancied to atone here going up to the mile.
Also at single figures are then Gai Waterhouse’s undefeated Almalad ($4.60) up from 1200m to 1600m and racing in stakes company for the first time, the Mick Price-trained stakes winner Pressing ($8.50), upset BRC Sires’ Produce winner and Group 1 performer Time For War ($9) and Looks Like The Cat ($9) for local horseman Tony Gollan.
With so many livewire chances below we’ve got the must know JJ Atkins 2014 form guide statistics and betting history so you can place a well-informed wager online at Ladbrokes.com.au before the weekend.
2014 JJ Atkins Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s JJ Atkins winner was the Gai Waterhouse-trained Romantic Touch who backed up from a non-Black Type Sydney win, jumped from barrier two (of 13) and was ridden by Nash Rawiller
- Sydney’s leading lady of racing Waterhouse is back this year after another JJ Atkins trophy this time with #6 Almalad ($4.60) whose form is very similar as they’ve won both their Sydney starts ahead of this acid test
- Nash Rawiller meanwhile isn’t on Waterhouse’s runner this year instead shooting for successive victories in the classic aboard the favourite #1 Brazen Beau ($2.05)
- Favourites have a great recent record in the JJ Atkins with four of the past eight saluting
- The past two JJ Atkins winners were also the favourites with Romantic Touch (2013) and Sizzling (2012) giving more hope to the Waller camp with this year’s top fancy #1 Brazen Beau
- The barrier Romantic Touch won from 12 months ago (2) meanwhile this year belongs to the roughie of the field #11 Emotions in Motion ($201)
- Barrier three has produced just the one winner since 1983
- The only barrier without a win in that time meanwhile is the inside alley (1) where #2 Time For War ($9) jumps from on Saturday
- Along with #6 Almalad ($4.60) the only other last start winner in the race is #2 Time For War (Group 2 BRC Sires’ Produce Stakes, 1350m, Doomben, 24/05/2014)
- The BRC Sires’ Produce Stakes has produced seven of the past 10 JJ Atkins winners
- Other JJ Atkins hopes coming via the BRC Sires’ Produce this year are then Brazen Beau (2nd), Looks Like The Cat (3rd), Careless (5th), Mohave (6th), Furbish (8th), Pressing (9th), Sagatona (11th) and Stroak (12th)
- If successful #2 Time For War will be just the third in the past 11 years to take out the double though joining Pressday (2010) and Sizzling (2012)
- The horse with the best Win Rate of the field is the undefeated #6 Almalad (100%) followed by #3 Pressing (67%), #2 Time For War (60%), #1 Brazen Beau (50%) and #8 Furbish (50%)
- The highest Place Percentage also belongs to #6 Almalad (100%) along with #5 Looks Like The Cat (100%) followed by #1 Brazen Beau (75%), #3 Pressing (67%) and #2 Time For War (60%)
- The only runner to have stepped up to the mile before is the John O’Shea-trained #7 Careless (1-0-1-0)
- Four have run at Eagle Farm before including two with wins at the track with #5 Looks Like The Cat (1-1-0-0) and #8 Furbish (2-2-0-0)
- Fillies have a poor record in the race with just four winning in the past 21 years
- This year the fillies looking to break the hoodoo are #9 Stroak ($51), #10 Sagatona ($51) and #11 Emotions In Motion ($201) who are all at long odds
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for all our insider Stradbroke Handicap Day betting tips to be published shortly.
Already have your JJ Atkins selections picked out and want to get on them at the best prices? Visit Ladbrokes.com.au where you’ll always get the right price thanks to their Best Tote or SP markets.
2014 JJ Atkins Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.