The Darley-owned Emblems has opened top of the BRC Sprint 2014 odds for the last on Doomben Cup Day in Brisbane this Saturday looking to return to form after their last start Sydney loss.
One of a full 16 confirmed starters for this year’s $125,000 Group 3 Darley BRC Sprint (1350m), Emblems represents the race sponsors and their new private trainer John O’Shea in barrier 12 with Glen Boss to ride.
Boss replaces Nash Rawiller who rode the Shamardal four-year-old in their most recent run when a three straight winning streak from the summer came undone at Randwick in the Group 3 Hall Mark Stakes (1200m).
In that first-up effort on April 26 they could only manage to run fifth behind subsequent BTC Cup runner Hot Snitzel beaten nearly four lengths.
Their form before the break was very good however and included a win as the odds-on favourite in the Listed Takeover Target Stakes (1200m) at Gosford in January.
It is that form the bookies are tipping them to replicate on Saturday in Brisbane then, the horse boasting a very nice second up record of two wins from three starts so far.
Emblems pays $5 to get the job done, but it’s a relatively tight BRC Sprint betting market this year with five other single figure fancies.
The other runners under $10 to win are:
- #4 Dances On Stars ($7.50) – Gerald Ryan-trained Snitzel four-year-old in career best form, two fourths earlier in the autumn backed up by a Listed Prime Minister’s Cup (1300m) win at the Gold Coast on Hollindale Day a fortnight ago
- #8 Someday ($7.50) – Rails draw for Kelso Wood’s Falvelon gelding who was last seen running fourth over 1200m at Eagle Farm behind Temple Of Boom in the Group 2 Victory Stakes (1200m), the form on that race is very good with runner-up Spirit Of Boom also running second in last Saturday’s BTC Cup, and they won a trial on Tuesday over 840m at Doomben so a top local chance
- #3 Benny’s Buttons ($8) – Wood’s other runner has drawn out in the carpark with barrier 15, still the Refuse To Bend six-year-old is in top form having won at Doomben three back, finished second in the Hinkler Handicap next start and then run a credible third to Dances On Stars in the PM Cup
- #15 Masthead ($8) – Chris Waller’s Sydney raider is second-up here following their resuming third to Hurrara in the Hawkesbury Gold Rush (1100m) last start, 33 start veteran but has only won four times so best for a place if including
- #2 River Lad ($8.50) – Sunshine Coast-trained Top Echelon six-year-old ran seventh in the Victory Stakes last time out, before that won at Doomben in January so loves the track and was runner-up to the now retired Appearance in a fine Group 2 Expressway Stakes run in Sydney
Check out all the fixed win prices on the BRC Sprint 2014 below, following the links to Ladbrokes.com.au to get behind your early favourites.
Don’t forget, Ladbrokes.com.au are also running their famous Best Tote or SP + 20% bonus markets on the Group 1 in Brisbane on Saturday making them the No. 1 bookie to visit this Doomben Cup Day!