Last year’s Stradbroke Handicap winner Impending...
There’s a logjam of three-year-olds fighting for top spot in the Gold Coast Guineas 2014 markets for this weekend with six under double figures to win.
The bookies are having a hard time finding a clear favourite for this year’s $125,000 Group 3 Attwood Marshall Lawyers Gold Coast Guineas (1200m) that brings the A.D. Hollindale Stakes Day action to a close as Race 8 at 4:30pm (AEST) on Saturday.
It’s a bumper field of 16 to line-up, four of the original five emergencies still waiting for a scratching to make the starting runners.
Current narrow favourite in the Gold Coast Guineas betting markets at $5.50 is Dothraki who has drawn barrier five but will likely jump from four with Nash Rawiller aboard.
Gerald Ryan’s visiting Sydney galloper is third-up for the season, the Mossman colt coming off two good runs back home.
The first was against their own age when third to In Cahoots in the Listed Gosford Guineas (1200m) in the mud on April 6.
They then went to Randwick on April 19 and far from disgraced when fifth to Sidestep in the Group 2 Royal Sovereign Stakes (1200m), Saturday’s race a step back in class from that.
The others under double figures in the Gold Coast Guineas odds are then:
- #10 Enquare ($6) – Wide barrier (18) for Jason McLachlan’s returning Sunshine Coast youngster who was in flying form last time in, the Stratum filly had a stellar summer season winning a host of Brisbane Black Types including the Group 3 Vo Rouge Plate (1350m) at Doomben in last December, her latest effort was then a very nice third behind Sweet Idea in the Magic Millions 3YO Guineas here on January 11 so if she goes well fresh she should thrive again at the track
- #7 Havana ($6) – Steady money coming for this Paul Messara-trained Scone runner, the Starcraft gelding coming off a Royal Sovereign Stakes sixth before which they won over 1100m at Canterbury
- #11 Costa Viva ($8) – Jason Bridgman’s New Zealand-trained filly has one of the widest barriers to overcome but the daughter of Encosta De Lago showed plenty of class during her spring – summer prep back home, won the Group 1 NZ 1000 Guineas over the mile in November returning for two more Group minor placings, both also over 1600m, so how she goes down under for the first time over just 1200m is an unknown
- #19 Blackboard Special ($8.50) – Far from assured of a run needing two scratchings to make the cut, but this Snitzel gelding from Grafton will get the inside run if they do from barrier one in what will be their second Queensland start following on from a third at Eagle Farm two weeks back
- #1 Safeguard ($9) – Well tried Peter Snowden-trained galloper to be ridden by local Damian Browne, the Exceed And Excel colt resumed with a last in the Royal Sovereign but there were excuses and so could be a danger second-up with improvement to come
For punters after more value there’s a number of other livewire chances further down the markets including the Kelso Wood-trained Gold Edition winner Into The Red ($13), Kelly Schweida’s returning L’Entrecote ($13) and event Palmera Lad ($21) coming off a last start win at Eagle Farm over 1600m back in February.
Full fixed win Gold Coat Guineas 2014 odds are listed below complete with links to take you directly to the source of the hottest winter racing odds – Ladbrokes.com.au!
2014 Gold Coast Guineas Odds
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.