One of the two Group 1 highlights at Royal Randwick this weekend, the 2014 All Aged Stakes is shaping up as a stellar showdown and below you’ll find the form facts, betting stats and exclusive Races.com.au tips on the weight-for-age clash.
There were originally 11 in the mix for this year’s $400,000 Group 1 Schweppes All Aged Stakes (1400m), set to run as Randwick Race 6 at 3:25pm (AEST).
The field has since been cut to nine however following the scratching of the Gerald Ryan-trained Group 1 winning mare Snitzerland, heading to Brisbane’s Group 2 Victory Stakes (1200m) instead, and exciting filly Politeness who would have got a gun run from barrier one.
Heading the latest All Aged Stakes odds at a firming price of $3 is the Gary Portelli-trained Rebel Dane into gate eight with Glen Boss riding.
Boss was aboard the California Dane stallion for the four-year-olds’ first run this prep last time out here on April 12 when Rebel Dane ran a brave second to superstar Lankan Rupee in the Group 1 TJ Smith Stakes (1200m).
Next best in All Aged Stakes betting, which is a wide open affair this year, are then the likes of Coolmore Classic winner Steps In Time ($5.50), the Chris Waller-trained Weary ($5.50) coming via a Doncaster third over the mile and the Joe Pride-trained The Galaxy champ Tiger Tees ($8.50).
So are these the ones to lock into your All Aged Stakes trifecta bets?
Or is there value to be found further down the markets from the likes of Black Caviar Lighting runner-up Shamexpress ($11) or even Japanese raider Hana’s Goal 9$14) who will be starting to acclimatize after two runs here now?
2014 All Aged Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s All Aged Stakes winner was the since-retired All Too Hard who came off back-to-back Caulfield Group 1 wins in the CF Orr Stakes and Futurity Stakes, and was ridden by Dwayne Dunn from gate 7 (of 8)
- This year there are now remaining last start winners following the withdrawal of #11 Politeness ($13)
- Last year’s winning barrier was originally drawn by #9 Atlante, the gate the most successful in the race since 1983 producing an incredible nine winners, but will now belong to #7 Hana’s Goal ($12) after the two early scratchings
- The next most successful barrier in that time has been one with six winners belonging now to #3 Shamexpress ($11)
- This year’s favourite looking to continue the trend and become the fourth straight punters’ pick to win is #1 Rebel Dane ($3) jumping from barrier eight which has produced just one winner in the past 30 years
- The TJ Smith Stakes has been the best lead-up to the All Aged in recent years producing four of the past 10 winners
- The All Aged hopes left coming via the race this year are #1 Rebel Dane (2nd), #2 Tiger Tees (4th), #3 Shamexpress (7th) and #6 Steps In Time (13th)
- #1 Rebel Dane is in a top position too as from the four All Aged winners in the past decade to come via the TJ, two won the double and the other two – Hay List (2011) and Hot Danish (2010) – finishyed second in the lead-up race like this year’s favourite
- Geldings have the most successful recent record with five wins in the past 10 years followed by mares with three wins and one winning filly; the only gelding in the race this year is #4 Weary ($5.50)
- Only two three-year-olds have won since 1996 with Flying Spur that year and All Too Hard last year; the three-year-olds out to be the next this year are then #9 Atlante ($12) and #10 Woodbine ($13)
- #10 Woodbine also is prepared by Gai Waterhouse who is the most successful All Aged Stakes trainer since 1983 with four wins from 19 starters
2014 All Aged Stakes Tip
1st – #1 Rebel Dane ($3)
2nd – #4 Weary ($5.50)
3rd – #2 Tiger Tees ($8.50)
There’s too much evidence suggesting the favourite will be hard to beat so we’re sticking with Rebel Dane to win this second-up.
As a gelding the statistics are in Weary’s favour, and their Doncaster Mile third last time out was a cracker. The Doncaster has produced a number of recent All Aged winners too so the drop back in distance isn’t a disadvantage.
Pride has run second in this with Rain Affair for the past two years, and this year we think he’ll snare another place with his Galaxy winner Tiger Tees to put up a good fight.
Whether you’re backing or sacking our All Aged Stakes tips, make sure you lock in the top price by betting online at Ladbrokes.com.au where you’ll get paid Best Tote or SP + 20% on your winnings if successful!