Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The big one in Adelaide on Saturday is the Robert Sangster Stakes 2014 where a top field of female gallopers will strut their stuff in Morphettville Race 7.
Originally 14 were accepted for this year’s $400,000 Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes (Sportingbet Classic) field, but following the scratching of Politeness due to illness there are just 13 left in the 1200m sprint classic.
It’s an open affair with six of those hopefuls under $10 in the, current favourite being the Anthony Cummings-trained Not A Single Doubt filly Villa Verde ($4.60).
She’s firmed in the markets with money coming for the youngster in gate six, the progressive grey coming off two Group 1 Sydney runs.
The first was a nice third to Tiger Tees in The Galaxy before her eighth on a mud Randwick track two weeks ago for the TJ Smith Stakes, an effort she’ll be better than here on firmer ground against a lower class field.
Platelet then occupies the second line of betting at $5.
Darren Weir’s Strategic mare was here last Adelaide Autumn Racing Carnival snaring herself a Group 1 double with the Robert Sangster Stakes – The Goodwood quinella seeing out her season.
She’s in good form again this time in, the five-year-old a first-up winner at Moonee Valley before running second in the Group 3 RN Irwin Stakes (1100m) for the second year in a row.
The early Robert Sangster market mover and third pick at $5.50 is then Gregers, David Hayes’ Group 1 performed Commands filly coming off a close fourth when defeated under half a length by Spirit Of Boom in the William Reid in Melbourne last month.
Others high up the odds include Robert Smerdon’s last start Flemington winner Shamal Wind ($6.50), the Peter Moody-trained stakes winner A Time For Julia ($8.50) coming off a fourth in Sydney’s Group 1 Coolmore Classic and the Gai Waterhouse-trained RN Irwin Stakes winner Driefontein ($9).
With so many live wire chances below we’ve got the Robert Sangster Stakes must know facts and tips so you know who to back and who to sack in the feature.
2014 Robert Sangster Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Robert Sangster Stakes winner was Platelet who came off an RN Irwin Stakes second, and jumped from barrier 11 (of 12) with Ben Melham aboard
- This year #1 Platelet ($5) is back to defend her title having run second in the Irwin Stakes again in the lead-up, drawn better with five and undergone a jockey change with Brad Rawiller to ride
- Other hopes coming via the Irwin this year are the winner Driefontein, Just Discret (3rd), Satin Shoes (7th) and Molto Bene (9th)
- The highest Win Rate belongs the to-be-retired #12 Miracles Of Life (40%)
- The best Place Percentage belongs to #1 Platelet (80%)
- Previous winners at the Track & Distance are #1 Platelet (2-2-0-0) and #7 Just Discreet (10-2-2-3)
- This year those with a double figure barrier are #2 Driefontein (10), #9 Halle Rocks (11) #10 Gig (12) and #12 Miracles Of Life (13)
- The most successful barrier since 1983 meanwhile has been nine with five wins followed by 11 with four wins belonging on Saturday to #1 Platelet (5) and $41 outsider #9 Halle Rocks (11)
- Favourites have won four of the past 10 Robert Sangsters, most recently Black Caviar (2012), with #11 Villa Verde ($4.60) out to be the next
2014 Robert Sangster Stakes Tip
1st – #1 Platelet ($5)
2nd – #2 Driefontein ($9)
3rd – #4 A Time For Julia ($8.50)
Like last year’s winner Platelet who comes off very good form, has a gun draw and is undefeated at the track and distance.
Driefontein beat her home in the RN Irwin and is at a juicy price for this despite her nice form and gate 10 won’t be an issue.
A Time For Julia is also at a nice price for Peter Moody, the Redoute’s Choice four-year-olds’ Group 1 run in Sydney last start a nice effort over 1500m with the drop back to 1200m to suit.
Get behind our favourites for the Robert Sangster Stakes, or your own tips for the classic sprint, online now at Ladbrokes.com.au where you’ll get the guaranteed best odds and biggest payouts all autumn!
2014 Robert Sangster Stakes Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.