After two gun gates in the 2014 Robert Sangster Stakes barrier draw, Platelet and Shamal Wind have opened as equal favourites to win the Adelaide classic at Morphettville this weekend.
In the bumper 14-horse field for this year’s $400,000 Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes (Sportingbet Classic) (1200m), it is a wide open affair with half the line-up under double figures to win.
Currently sitting top of the Robert Sangster Stakes odds at an equal price of $5.50 are Platelet and Shamal Wind due to jump from barriers five and four respectively.
The Darren Weir-trained Platelet enjoyed a win in the Robert Sangster Stakes 12 months ago on the back of a second in the Group 3 RN Irwin Stakes (1100m), the daughter of Strategic well fancied to go back-to-back.
She comes off another Irwin Stakes second and will be ridden by Brad Rawiller for the first time after her last start jockey Damian Lane, and his replacement Michelle Payne, both copped suspensions over the past few days.
Melbourne raider Shamal Wind meanwhile comes via a different lead-up, the Dubawi four-year-old back in Adelaide looking to improve on a Robert Sangster ninth from last year behind Platelet.
She’s had three runs this time in at home including two wins, most recently by two lengths over the 1000m at Flemington on April 5.
The other single figure Robert Sangster Stakes fancies are then:
- #11 Villa Verde ($6) – Another gun draw in barrier six for this Anthony Cummings-trained Sydney filly, the Not A Single Doubt grey in good form this autumn including an upset Group 2 Challenge Stakes victory over Snitzerland before two Group 1 runs producing a third in The Galaxy and a credible eighth on an unsuitably Heavy track in the TJ Smith Stakes at Randwick on April 12
- #13 Gregers ($7) – David Hayes-trained Commands filly also coming via an interstate Group 1, the Thousand Guineas third placegetter from the spring having run fourth to Spirit Of Boom last time out in the William Reid Stakes at Moonee Valley on March 21, hasn’t had a run in a month but does go well fresh and track conditions will suit
- #14 Politeness ($7.50) – Robert Smerdon’s Street Sense filly last ran in the wet at Randwick on April 12 when taking on a Heavy track and thriving to win the Group 3 PJ Bell Stakes (1200m) from barrier 18 of 18 with Craig Williams aboard, has gate eight here with a jockey still to be confirmed as Williams is booked for rival Gregers
- #4 A Time For Julia ($8) – Peter Moody-trained Redoute’s Choice mare is in good for having won two Black Types, including the Wenona Girl at Randwick in mid-March, and finished second to Group 1 champ Red Tracer in the Millie Fox before her last start fourth in the Group 1 Coolmore Classic (1500m) behind Steps In Time on March 22
- #2 Driefontein ($8.50) – Has a wide barrier 11 draw to overcome here which is why she’s not shorter in the odds, the Gai Waterhouse-trained Fastnet Rock mare coming off a win at the track over 1100m having defeated reigning Robert Sangster champ Platelet in the RN Irwin a fortnight ago
The complete Robert Sangster Stakes betting odds are listed below, fixed win prices open now at the country’s fastest growing online bookmaker Ladbrokes.com.au.
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for all the latest on the Robert Sangster ahead of Saturday, and in the meantime head to Ladbrokes.com.au and open a new account to have your first deposit matched 100% as a bonus welcome bet valued up to $250!