An improving John O’Shea-trained filly, Bound For Earth has opened narrow favourite in a bumper 2014 PJ Bell Stakes field and betting market for this weekend.
One of nine Group races on the Doncaster Mile Day program, this year’s $200,000 Group 3 The Other Woman PJ Bell Stakes (1200m) is set to run as Royal Randwick Race 3 at 1:25pm (AEST).
A lead-up race for three-year-old fillies looking to back-up in the $500,000 Group 2 Royal Sovereign Stakes (1200m) next Saturday, the PJ Bell Stakes field features a capacity 18 starters plus four emergencies for the 2014 edition.
Heading the line-up is O’Shea’s daughter of ill-fated sire Northern Meteor, Bound For Earth.
Winner of the Group 2 Furious Stakes at the track and distance in September, Bound For Earth has plenty of Group race experience and has been a super consistent addition to the stables.
Third behind Guelph in the Group 1 Flight Stakes (1600m) last year also at Randwick, her other elite level run was a fifth in the Thousand Guineas when debuting in Melbourne.
This time in she’s had three starts, her most recent effort a devastatingly close second to Sidestep in the Listed Darby Munro Stakes (1200m) in the mud at Rosehill on March 29 which she’s tipped to go one better than on a slightly firmer track here.
Bound For Earth pays $5.50 in the latest PJ Bell Stakes odds to do just that, the markets a fairly open affair with five other single figure fancies.
The other hopes under $10 for a PJ Bell Stakes win on Saturday are then:
- #6 Calming Influence ($6) – Rails draw for Chris Waller’s Commands filly meaning she’ll have to stay out of trouble in this big field, is first-up here not having raced since December when she was on fire winning back-to-back summer showdowns by big margins, she loves Randwick, the distance will suit and should handle the class rise here well
- #8 Northern Glory ($7) – Another daughter of Northern Meteor, Gai Waterhouse’s filly has drawn at the opposite end of the field here with barrier 21 (into 17) so will need to slot into a nice position early and work hard home but has class to do that, failed in the Magic Millions Guineas back in January where she ran wide throughout, but improved and caught the eye with her Darby Munro third when defeated under a length
- #9 Miniature ($7.50) – Peter Snowden’s Exceed And Excel filly is first-up here but before the break was flying high with three wins from four starts including one at Randwick’s Kensington track over 1300m, first-up over this distance should suit, recent barrier trial form has been so-so but does run well fresh
- #14 Politeness ($9) – This Victorian-based daughter of Street Sense will jump from the outside barrier here with Craig Williams aboard following a last start second at Sandown, has had plenty of racing but only one win so far and hasn’t raced in Sydney yet so form is a bit iffy
- #20 Dublin Lass ($9) – O’Reilly filly also trained by O’Shea, needs luck making the field as the second emergency but the bookies are taking no chances on this lightly-raced up-and-comer who has won two of her four career starts to date including a big three length Warwick Farm effort over 1300m when wearing blinkers for the first time back on March 20
Also worth a look at longer odds are then the likes of Waterhouse’s Darby Munro fourth placed Cosmic Endeavour ($10), sixth in that same race Flight Academy ($13), Waller’s Group 2 Light Fingers Stakes third placegetter Champagne Cath ($15) out to improve on her last start 11th in the Surround Stakes and last start Moonee Valley winner Miss Stelle ($17) in her Sydney debut.
The official PJ Bell Stakes 2014 field and barriers are listed below along with the latest fixed win odds on the field open now at our preferred online bookie Ladbrokes.com.au.
Want to get in on the Randwick racing and betting action this Saturday but don’t have a Ladbrokes.com.au account?
Join today, it only takes a couple of minutes, and be rewarded instantly with a bonus match bet on your first deposit valued up to $250!