Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The second of the two Group 1s on Saturday’s Randwick Guineas Day program in Sydney, the Canterbury Stakes 2014 is shaping up as a super sprint showdown.
Running as Randwick Race 8 at 5:22pm (AEST) this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Guinness Canterbury Stakes (1300m) features a final field of 10 hopefuls.
Clear favourite at a current quote of $2.75 is the Chris Waller-trained Zoustar drawn ideally in gate two.
The dual Group 1 winning three-year-old is first-up here having last been seen winning the Group 1 Coolmore Stud Stakes against their own age at Flemington on November 2.
The son of ill-fated sire Northern Meteor is yet to prove themselves against older rivals however but is tipped to do just that on the weekend with Jim Cassidy in the saddle once more.
The other runners under double figures in the Canterbury Stakes betting markets this year are then Coolmore Stud Stakes runner-up Not Listenin’tome ($4.40) coming off a Group 3 Caulfield victory, market mover Red Tracer ($4.80) who is also prepared by Waller and the Guy Walter-trained Appearance ($6) shooting for her third win from as many starts this time in.
To help you uncover the value in the race below is the Races.com.au team’s exclusive Canterbury Stakes form guide and betting analysis.
2014 Canterbury Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Canterbury Stakes winner was the Gai Waterhouse-trained Pierro who came off a win in the Hobartville Stakes, jumped from barrier 7 (of 10) and was ridden by Jim Cassidy
- This year Waterhouse is without a runner by Cassidy has the ride on the favourite #9 Zoustar ($2.75) from gate three
- Last year’s winning barrier (7) meanwhile belongs to #8 Red Tracer ($4.80) which has produced five Canterbury Stakes winners since 1983
- The most successful Canterbury Stakes barrier with nine wins meanwhile has been six which on Saturday belongs to #10 Not Listenin’tome ($4.20)
- While all of this year’s Hobartville Stakes runners bar one contest the Randwick Guineas, there are five last start winners in the mix with: #1 My Kingdom Of Fife (Group 3 Craven Plate, 2000m, Randwick, 01/10/2011), #6 Appearance (Group 2 Apollo Stakes, 1400m, Randwick, 22/02/2014), #8 Red Tracer (Group 2 Millie Fox Stakes, 1300m, Rosehill, 01/03/2014), #9 Zoustar (Group 1 Coolmore Stud Stakes, 1200m, Flemington, 02/11/2013) and #10 Not Listenin’tome (Group 3 Zeditave Stakes, 1200m, Caulfield, 22/02/2014)
- Pierro (2013) and the also Waterhouse-trained More Joyous (2012) are the only two last start winners in the race from the past 13 years
- Back from retirement #1 My Kingdom Of Fife ($101) is the roughie of the field and hasn’t raced for an incredible 895 days
- The horse on the shortest back-up meanwhile is #8 Red Tracer (13 days)
- At the track the horses with the best Randwick record are #1 My Kingdom Of Fife (3-3-0-0), #8 Red Tracer (6-3-1-1), #7 Streama (7-4-1-0), #6 Appearance (5-2-1-1), #5 Rain Affair (8-2-3-0), #2 Sacred Falls (4-1-0-0) and #9 Zoustar (1-1-0-0)
- Over the distance the ones to back look to be #8 Red Tracer (5-4-1-0) and #9 Zoustar (2-2-0-0)
- The highest Win Rate belongs to #9 Zoustar (75%) followed by #10 Not Listenin’tome (60%), #2 Sacred Falls (47%), #5 Rain Affair (46%), #8 Red Tracer (45%) and #6 Appearance (44%)
- The best Place Rate then belongs to #10 Notlistenin’tome (100%) followed by #9 Zoustar (88%), #8 Red Tracer (82%), #7 Streama (75%), #5 Rain Affair (69%) and #1 My Kingdom Of Fife (68%)
- The small fields the race attracts has seen eight favourites win since 2000 including five in the past 10 years most recently Pierro (2013); this year’s favourite is #9 Zoustar ($2.75)
- If successful Zoustar will join More Joyous (2012) as the only two first-up winners of the race in the past 12 years
Think you’ve got the Canterbury Stakes winner picked out? Head over to our No. 1 recommended online betting agency Ladbrokes.com.au to lock in your selections on all the weekend’s majors.
Even better, if your selections runs second to Zoustar in the Canterbury then Ladbrokes.com.au will refund your stakes as a bonus bet valued up to $50!
2014 Canterbury Stakes Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.