Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
While in Melbourne this weekend’s autumn action will be focused on Flemington’s Newmarket Handicap Day meet, Sydneysiders will also be treated to some top Group 1 racing action thanks to the running of the Chipping Norton Stakes 2014.
Running as Warwick Farm Race 5 at 3:40pm (AEST) this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Chipping Norton Stakes (1600m) has drawn a small but classy final field of eight middle distance hopes.
The current Chipping Norton Stakes odds though suggest this one has already been run and won with an odds-on favourite dominating the betting – It’s A Dundeel in the red at $1.90.
Firming in with money coming for the Murray Baker-trained Kiwi, High Chaparral four-year-old It’s A Dundeel resumes here having last been seen running a disappointing eighth to Shamus Award in the Cox Plate.
That was a rare failure from the stallion who one run before won their fifth Group 1 race in Caulfield’s Underwood Stakes.
Money is on them to return to their old form however in Sydney this weekend with It’s A Dundeel having easily won their lead-up Randwick trial on February 24.
To help punters decide whether the shortie in the market is indeed the one to beat, or whether there’s any chance of an upset Chipping Norton Stakes result from a galloper like the Chris Waller-trained Boban ($4), is the race form.
So below the Races.com.au crew have analysed all the Chipping Norton Stakes form facts, stats and betting history to come up with the must know info before placing your bets online at Ladbrokes.com.au.
2014 Chipping Norton Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- The past two editions of the Chipping Norton Stakes have been won by the Chris Waller-trained Shoot Out
- Last year Shoot Out won the race first-up from barrier two (of 9) with Hugh Bowman aboard
- This year Waller will shoot for his third straight win in the race with #2 Boban ($4), #3 Hawkspur ($9) and #4 Moriarty ($9.50) – the only other single figure chances outside the favourite – representing the stable
- Rival Sydney trainer Gai Waterhouse though has the best record since 1983 with six winners from 25 starters; she’s represented this year by #6 Glencadam Gold ($67) and #8 Order Of The Sun ($21)
- There are three horses racing first-up for the season here with #1 It’s A Dundeel ($1.90), #6 Glencadam Gold ($67) and #7 Prince Cheri ($14)
- Last year’s winning hoop Hugh Bowman has the ride on #4 Moriarty in gate seven
- Last year’s winning barrier (2) meanwhile belongs to #5 Monton ($17) on Saturday – the barrier producing four winners since 1983
- The most successful Chipping Norton Stakes barrier in the past 30 years meanwhile has been barrier four with six winners followed by gate six with five winners; these barriers on Saturday belong to #2 Boban (4) and #6 Glencadam Gold (6)
- #5 Monton (Benchmark 95, 1600m, Randwick, 22/02/2014) is also one of the two last start winners in the race this year along with #8 Order Of The Sun (Benchmark 74, 1600m, Randwick, 08/02/2014)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #1 It’s A Dundeel (60%) and the lightly-raced #8 Order Of The Sun (60%) followed by #7 Prince Cheri (57%) and #2 Boban (40%)
- The horse with the best Place Percentage is then #7 Prince Cheri (86%) followed by #8 Order Of The Sun (80%), #1 It’s A Dundeel (73%) and #4 Moriarty (57%)
- Over the Warwick Farm track the horses to beat are #1 It’s A Dundeel (1-1-0-0), #2 Boban (1-1-0-0) and #5 Monton (9-2-1-1)
- Those with the best record over the distance (1600m) are #1 It’s A Dundeel (2-2-0-0), #2 Boban (3-2-0-0), #3 Hawkspur (4-1-1-0), #4 Moriarty (6-3-1-0), #5 Monton (9-2-1-1) and #6 Glencadam Gold (4-2-0-0)
- Two horses have then won over the Track & Distance with #5 Monton (4-2-1-0) and #1 It’s A Dundeel (1-1-0-0)
- The key lead-up race to the Chipping Norton in recent years has been the Group 2 Apollo Stakes with nine winners coming via the Apollo
- This year the best Chipping Norton hope to come out of the 1400m race from February 22 is #4 Moriarty who ran third
- Favourites only have a fair record in the past 10 years with four wins; clear favourite this year is #1 It’s A Dundeel ($1.90)
- That said, double figure outsiders have a poor record in the race meaning punters are better looking at those under $10 – the last was He’s No Pie Eater ($80 in 2007)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Chipping Norton Stakes 2014 tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime check out all the weekend’s hottest racing markets and offers online now at Ladbrokes.com.au where new punters are rewarded in bonus bets when they make their first deposit!
2014 Chipping Norton Stakes Form Guide & Field
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.