Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
There is plenty of great racing at Caulfield this Saturday, but the main event is without a doubt the 2014 Orr Stakes.
The Orr Stakes is always a tricky betting race, with so many horses returning from a stint in the spelling paddock, and the 2014 edition of the race is no different; with seven talented gallopers set to clash in the Group 1 event.
Moment Of Change was beaten as a short-priced favourite in the Group 2 Australia Stakes (1200m) at Moonee Valley on January 24, but he is still the favourite in 2014 Orr Stakes betting markets at a quote of $2.40.
2013 Cox Plate winner Shamus Award ($3.20) has been a clear market mover, while there has also been a sprinkling of support for classy colt Eurozone ($5.50) and the Chris Waller-trained duo of Hawkspur ($8) and Foreteller ($14).
Can Moment Of Change breakthrough for his first race win in over a year or will Shamus Award make it two wins in a row? Our team of horse racing experts have analysed the form guide facts and betting statistics for the race to come up with our 2014 Orr Stakes Tips!
2014 Orr Stakes Form Facts And Betting Stats
- The 2013 edition of the Orr Stakes was won by Team Hawkes-trained All Too Hard, who was ridden by Dwayne Dunn and jumped from barrier nine.
- Neither Team Hawkes nor Dwayne Dunn are involved in the 2014 Orr Stakes and no horse will jump from barrier nine.
- Favourites have won 16 of the past 30 editions of the Orr Stakes.
- Moment Of Change and Finishing Card are the only horses in the Orr Stakes field who have had a race start this preparation.
- Sertorius, Finishing Card, Shamus Award and Eurozone were all successful at their last race start.
- Foreteller, Moment Of Change, Sertorius and Finishing Card have all previously won at Caulfield.
- Foreteller, Moment Of Change and Finishing Card have scored race wins over 1400 metres.
- Foreteller, Moment Of Change, Hawkspur and Shamus Award have all recorded wins at Group 1 level.
- Barrier four is the most successful gate in the recent history of the Orr Stakes and will house Finishing Card tomorrow after Playing God was scratched from the race.
2014 Orr Stakes Tips
1st #8 Eurozone ($5.50)
This is a very difficult race to analyse, but Eurozone looks to represent the best value at his current quote of $5.50. The son of Northern Meteor performed well during his 2013 Spring Racing Carnival campaign and according to connections has improved significantly. 1400 metres looks to be his best distance and jockey Damien Oliver could prove to be the difference in what is set to be a very tactical affair.
2nd #7 Shamus Award ($3.20)
Shamus Award is a tough horse to analyse because he has only recorded one win from ten race starts – it just happened to be in the Group 1 Cox Plate (2040m) one of the biggest races on the Australian calendar. Based on his jump out performance at Flemington last Saturday the son of Snitzel looks to have returned in excellent condition and trainer Danny O’Brien is confident that the three-year-old is forward enough to win first-up.
3rd #4 Hawkspur ($8)
The Queensland Derby winner is sure to take plenty of improvement out of his first-up run, but he should be hitting the line strongly in the final stages of the race. He has the turn-of-foot required to be competitive in weight-for-age races over this trip and at his current price is a good bet to round out the placings.
Leading online bookmaker Ladbrokes.com.au is offering overs on Shamus Award in the Orr Stakes this weekend!
Cox Plate winner Shamus Award will be available at the special price of $4 in the Orr Stakes promotional market – a far greater price than his current quote of $3.20!Sign-up and deposit at Ladbrokes this weekend to take advantage of this sensational offer!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.