Super consistent Sydneysider Unencumbered is the firming favourite in the 2014 Magic Millions 2YO Classic odds after drawing to perfection in barrier three for the Gold Coast feature on Saturday.
Testa Rossa two-year-old Unencumbered has been sitting top of the markets for the Jeep $2 million Magic Millions 2YO Classic (1200m) following a string of three wins during December.
A Kensington win over 1000m was followed by success in the Wyong Magic Millions 2YO Classic (1100m) before their latest effort, a long neck victory in the Group 3 BJ McLachlan Stakes (1200m) in Brisbane on December 28.
In the pre-barrier Magic Millions Classic betting markets Unencumbered paid around $4 to win, a price that’s since been slashed to $3.80 with jockey Nathan Berry to get the run of the race on Saturday.
Despite the capacity field there’s just one other single figure chance in the latest markets with Invisible paying $4.50 to win their second race from as many career starts.
The debut of the Hawkes-trained All American colt was a successful one at Canterbury late last month and after a gun gate seven draw for Saturday it’s all systems go for the up-and-comer.
There’s then a log jam of hopefuls under $20 in the markets who had mixed luck with the barriers including:
- #2 Geromayo ($10) – Gate eight draw as Mick Price’s Charge Forward colt looks to break their maiden status, has come close finishing a length away second in their past two runs firstly behind Sheer Style in the Magic Millions Clockwise Classic at Ballarat and then to Unencumbered in the Wyong edition of the restricted classic
- #5 Nordic Empire ($10) – Price’s other hopeful has one of the widest barriers (19) to overcome so has been ruled out by many, but lead-up has been good and Melbourne Cup winning jockey Damien Oliver stays on, last start third to Invisible with improvement expected as they were blocked for a run on the straight there
- #3 I Am The General ($11) – Double digits with barrier 15 for this last start winner who’s on the up and up for connections, debuted with a third in the MM Clockwise and then won at Flemington in mid-December, hasn’t seen over 1000m or raced in Queensland yet however
- #12 Oakleigh Girl ($11) – Danny Bougoure’s Brisbane-based Snitzel filly was the favourite for this at one stage but has been on the drift after finishing two lengths away fourth in the BJ McLachlan, before that took out a Melbourne Cup Day Group 3 and won a black type at Doomben
- #4 Celestial Dragon ($12) – Gun barrier five draw for Gai Waterhouse’s undefeated runner who has won both their career starts so far with back-to-back 1100m victories at Doomben most recently on December 21
Other notable hopes include the rails-drawn Cyclone ($13) who also represents Waterhouse, Real Saga filly Stroak ($13) who has won two from three and run second in the BJ McLachlan, and fellow real Saga filly Sagatona ($15) also coming via the BJ McLachlan when a nice third as a $21 outsider.
Check out the full Magic Millions Classic 2014 odds, fixed win prices that you can lock in now online at our No. 1 recommended online betting agency Ladbrokes.com.au.
Don’t have a Ladbrokes.com.au account? It only takes a few minutes to join and when you do you’ll be eligible for a bonus welcome bet to get you started valued between $25 and $250!