Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday the sole Group race held down under will be Sydney’s Villiers Stakes 2013, the Races.com.au team’s exclusive form guide and betting preview for which is listed below.
With the course proper at Randwick not ruled fit for racing after a recent renovation, the Villiers Stakes Day races will instead be held on the Kensington track.
That means that for the day’s marquee race, the $175,000 Group 2 Villiers Stakes, the field is capped at 14 starters that will face off over 1550m instead of the traditional 1600m.
Villiers Stakes betting is wide open this year with 12 of the 14 hopefuls under $20 in the markets.
Current favourite paying $6 to win at Ladbrokes.com.au is the untapped Taxmeifyoucan, Gregory Hickman’s Ad Valorem four-year-old coming off a second in the Goulburn Cup.
It was a controversial decision on the Goulburn Cup result however with Taxmeifyoucan looking to have dead heated with Any Day Will Do who was subsequently awarded first place.
The other single figure fancies in the Villiers Stakes odds are then recent Seymour Cup winner Sysmo ($6.50) who missed the ATC Cup due to a hoof injury, Ninth Legion ($8.50) and the Anthony Cummings-trained Strike The Stars ($9).
To help you sort the pretenders from the contenders in the Villiers Stakes field and see if those at the top of the markets are really the ones to beat, we’ve gone over the form guide and betting history.
Read on for the must know Villiers Stakes facts and stats so you can back a winner this weekend.
2013 Villiers Stakes Form Facts & Betting
- Last year’s Villiers Stakes winner was the Kevin Moses-trained All Legal who won the race off a seventh in the Festival Stakes, jumped from barrier 9 (of 18) and was ridden by Glyn Schofield
- While the defending champ isn’t back this year a previous Villiers Stakes winner after another shot in 2013 is Monton (2011)
- This year Schofield will vie for back-to-back wins riding #7 Strike The Stars ($9) from barrier six
- Last year’s winning barrier (9) on Saturday belongs to #11 Sysmo ($6.50) who will be ridden by James McDonald
- The Festival Stakes is the traditional Villiers Stakes lead-up and also produced the 2011 winner Monton who completed the double
- Horses coming via this year’s Festival Stakes meanwhile are #3 Alma’s Fury (3rd), #5 Said Com (5th), #13 Limes (6th), #4 Destiny’s Kiss (7th), #6 Monton (8th), #7 Strike The Stars (9th) and #8 Ninth Legion (11th)
- There is only one last start winner in the field this year with #14 Absalon (Listed Recognition Stakes, 1600m, Doomben, 30/11/2013)
- The highest Win Rate belongs to #2 Western Symbol (32%) and #4 Destiny’s Kiss (32%) followed by #1 Coup Ay Tee (27%) and #11 Sysmo (27%)
- The best Place Percentage then belongs to #11 Sysmo (80%) followed by #2 Western Symbol (79%), #12 Taxmeifyoucan (64%), #1 Coup Ay Tee (61%), #5 Said Com (58%), #13 Limes (53%) and #4 Destiny’s Kiss (52%)
- Only two horses have had a run at the track, both winning that start, with #2 Western Symbol ($14) and #6 Monton ($26)
- Over the distance horses with the best record are then #1 Coup Ay Tee (10-4-0-1), #11 Sysmo (5-3-0-2), #4 Destiny’s Kiss (6-3-1-0), #14 Absalon (2-2-0-0) and #2 Western Symbol (5-1-1-2)
Bookmark us here at Races.com.au to view our insider Villiers Stakes betting tips shortly.
If you’ve already made your selections based on the above facts and stats then head over to Ladbrokes.com.au and lock in your picks at the best prices.
Remember too that if you’re new to sign-up with Ladbrokes.com.au to follow the prompts when you make your initial investment to have it matched dollar for dollar as a bonus welcome bet valued up to $250!
2013 Villiers Stakes Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.