Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
There are two Group 1 features set to run at Perth’s Ascot Racecourse this Saturday for Railway Stakes Day, one of which is the 2013 Winterbottom Stakes– a form guide and betting preview for which is listed below.
Thirteen sprinters from both local and interstate stables are engaged for this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Winterbottom Stakes (1200m), the headline acceptor being Rob Heathcote’s Buffering.
The Brisbane-based Heathcote likely didn’t predict how good a campaign his son of Mossman would have when he first agreed to take them west for a shot at Group 1 glory in the Winterbottom.
The six-year-old has won their past two, both at elite level, with Buffering the impressive Manikato Stakes – VRC Sprint Classic double champion in Melbourne this spring.
A man to his word, Heathcote has Buffering running on Saturday where they will shoot for Group 1 win number three as the clear $2.10 favourite in Winterbottom Stakes betting.
A good traveler, proven Group 1 and weight-for-age performer and deserving favourite Buffering looks hard to beat.
However after a big campaign in the Perth heat they could falter and if they do there are plenty ready to pounce.
The big dangers according to the bookies are fellow Queenslander Spirit Of Boom ($7.50), the Peter Moody-trained VRC Sprint third placed Moment Of Change ($7.50) and $4.60 second pick Barakey who defends their Winterbottom title this year.
This is what the Winterbottom Stakes odds say, but what about the form guide and history?
2013 Winterbottom Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Winterbottom Stakes winner was the Jim Taylor-trained Barakey who came off a win in the Group 3 Colonel Reeves Stakes, jumped from barrier 9 and was ridden by Jason Brown
- This year #4 Barakey ($4.60) is back for another shot coming off a Group 3 Prince Of Wales Stakes victory last month, drawn in gate two with Brown aboard once again
- Brown is the most successful Winterbottom jockey in the past e0 years with 2 wins from 16 starts
- Last year’s winning barrier (9) meanwhile belongs on Saturday to #3 Moment Of Change ($7.50) who will be ridden by Luke Nolen
- The most successful Winterbottom Stakes barrier (since 1983) with five wins has been barrier one drawn this year by #2 Spirit Of Boom ($7.50)
- The next best barriers are then two and five with four wins each which belong on Saturday to #4 Barakey ($4.60) and #11 Dominating ($41) respectively
- Barriers are crucial in this race with only eight winners in the past 30 years jumping from double digits which rules out #10 Checkpoint (10), #9 The Rising (11), #13 Power Princess (12) and #6 Beach Express (13) for the win this year
- Along with Barakey there are three other last start winners in the field this year with #1 Buffering (Group 1 VRC Sprint Classic, 1200m, Flemington, 09/11/2013), #9 The Rising (Group 3 Colonel Reeves Stakes, 1100m, Ascot, 05/11/2013) and #12 Shining Knight (BM72, 1000m, Ascot, 02/11/2013)
- Horses that ran in the Colonel Reeves this year (the race Barakey graduated from 12 months ago) are then The Rising (1st), Waterman’s Bay (3rd), Dominating (7th), Excelorada (8th) and Beach Express (10th)
- #9 The Rising ($26) is then after the same double Barakey completed last year
- Other horses that ran in last year’s Winterbottom Stakes that are back again in 2013 are then Power Princess (2nd) and Spirit Of Boom (3rd)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #4 Barakey (92%) followed by #9 The Rising (70%), #7 Excelorada (48%), #13 Power Princess (43%), #11 Dominating (42%), #8 Tiger Pete (41%), #1 Buffering (38%) and #12 Shining Knight (38%)
- The best Place Percentage then belongs to #4 Barakey (92%) followed by #10 Checkpoint (86%), #1 Buffering (76%), #11 Dominating (75%), #12 Shining Knight (75%), #13 Power Princess (71%), #5 Watermans Bay (71%), #3 Moment Of Change (71%) and #9 The Rising (70%)
- Horses with the best Ascot track record are #4 Barakey (6-6-0-0), #9 The Rising (5-4-0-0), #5 Watermans Bay (14-4-6-1), #13 Power Princess (12-4-3-1), #8 Tiger Pete (7-3-1-0), #7 Excelorada (8-3-1-0) and #10 Checkpoint (8-3-2-1)
- Over the distance those with the best record are #1 Buffering (24-9-6-3), #3 Moment Of Change (8-2-1-2), #4 Barakey (4-3-0-0), #5 Watermans Bay (10-4-2-0), #10 Checkpoint (9-5-2-1), #11 Dominating (4-2-1-0) and #13 Power Princess (16-8-4-1)
- There are then five previous winners over the Track & Distance with #4 Barakey (3-3-0-0), #5 Watermans Bay (9-4-2-0), #9 The Rising (2-1-0-0), #10 Checkpoint (6-3-1-1) and #13 Power Princess (6-3-2-0)
- Favourites have an ace record in the race with six of the past 10 winning, and 10 since 1983; #1 Buffering ($2.10) will look to keep the trend going for punters this year
- If he doesn’t win he should place with only two favourites not running top three in the past decade
Races.com.au will be publishing our insider Winterbottom Stakes 2013 betting tips shortly so stay tuned.
In the meantime why not get behind your own selections for the weekend’s sprint classic online at Ladbrokes.com.au where the $500 bonus welcome bet offer is only running until Thursday!
2013 Winterbottom Stakes Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.