Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The always-popular Zipping Classic Day is set to run at Caulfield Racecourse this Saturday, November 16, with a detailed form guide and betting preview for one of the day’s features – the Sandown Guineas 2013– found below.
Running as Race 7 at 4:10pm (AEST) this year’s $350,000 Group 2 Sandown Guineas (1600m) features a smart field of 11 three-year-olds with Peter Snowden’s last start Carbine Club Stakes winner Paximadia leading betting at $3.60.
They are followed in the Sandown Guineas odds then by three other single figure fancies with the Gai Waterhouse-trained Equator ($4.20), progressive Apollo’s Choice ($4.20) and Best Case ($7.50) to be ridden by Damien Oliver.
The obvious form line for the race is the Group 3 Carbine Club Stakes (1600m) held at Flemington back on November 2 with not only the winner Paximadia coming through it but also third and fourth placegetters Equator and Best Case.
So are these ones really the horses to back in your Sandown Guineas bets for Saturday?
Or does going over the Sandown Guineas form guide and betting history reveal value further down the markets?
2013 Sandown Guineas Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Sandown Guineas winner was the Peter Snowden-trained Tatra who came via a second in the Carbine Club Stakes, jumped form barrier 7 (of 16) and was ridden by Kerrin McEvoy
- This year Snowden is back with both the favourite #1 Paximdia ($3.60) and #2 Champollion ($31); McEvoy on the former
- Last year’s winning barrier (7) then belongs this year to #11 Outlandish ($12) who is having just their third career start
- Horses coming via this year’s Carbine Club Stakes then are the winner #1 Paximadia as well as #3 Equator (3rd), #4 Best Case (4th) and #2 Champollion (8th)
- Three of the four Sandown Guineas winners to have come from the Carbine (since 1999) were all prepared by Snowden with Caymans (2008), Kidnapped (2009) and Tatra (2012); the other was then Schilling (2007)
- #1 Paximadia then is out to become the first horse since Over (1999) to complete the Carbine Club Stakes – Sandown Guineas double
- The other last start winner in the mix is then #9 Gabble (3YO Maiden, Bendigo, 1400m, 30/10/2013)
- Pressday (2010) and So Swift (2011) both won the Sandown Guineas second-up that prep but in the 27 years prior to them no winner had not had at least three lead-up runs
- The horse boasting the best Win Rate in the field is #6 Apollo’s Choice (67%) followed by #9 Gabble (50%), #1 Paximadia (43%) and #4 Best Case (33%)
- The highest Place Rate then belongs to those yet to finish out of the money with lightly-raced duo of #9 Gabble (100%) and #11 Outlandish (100%) followed by #3 Equator (71%), #6 Apollo’s Choice (67%) and #4 Best Case (50%)
- With the wet weather in Melbourne Caulfield could still be in the Heavy range come race time; the only one here with form on rain affected ground is #2 Champollion (Slow: 1-1-0-0 / Heavy: 1-0-0-1)
- Those with good form over the distance are then #1 Paximadia (2-1-0-1), #4 Best Case (2-1-0-0) and #3 Equator (3-0-0-3)
- Three horses have had a run at Caulfield before but none have finished in the money with #1 Paximadia, #2 Champollion and #8 Inafrenzy
Think you’ve got the Sandown Guineas winner picked out for the weekend and want to back them at the hottest odds down under?
Visit our preferred online bookie Ladbrokes.com.au now and get more bang for your betting buck starting with their generous $500 bonus welcome bet offer!
2013 Sandown Guineas Field & Form Guide
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.