Brisbane sprint champion Buffering has opened early favourite to boost their Group 1 tally to three when they travel to Perth for the 2013 Winterbottom Stakes later this month.
The Mossman six-year-old was, until two starts ago, without a Group 1 trophy to call their own despite having racked up 10 top three finishes at elite level over their career.
Finally the flood gates opened up for the gallant gelding when they narrowly held on to defeat Hong Kong’s Lucky Nine in the Group 1 Manikato Stakes (1200m) on October 25.
Buffering kept the good times for connections going then last Saturday at Flemington when securing another spring success this time defeating Shamexpress in the Group 1 VRC Sprint Classic (1200m).
While long term plans for 2014 including a Sydney autumn run in the TJ Smith Stakes, a home bid at the Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival riches and then a possible international stint with both Royal Ascot (June – July) as well as Hong Kong (December) being considered.
But before all of that there’s still a run or two left in Buffering’s legs this prep with their next run scheduled as the $500,000 Group 1 Winterbottom Stakes (1200m) at Perth’s Ascot Racecourse on November 23.
After such great recent success in Victoria, Buffering sits top of the pre-field Winterbottom Stakes betting markets at a current quote of $2.80.
There are then five other single-figure chances with:
- Barakey ($4.40) – WA-trained six-year-old from the Bullsbrook stables of Jim Taylor, ultra consistent record last year that included a win in this (the Winterbottom) over Power Princess, went to Flemington in March but only had a failed one run campaign, back to full fitness after a lengthy spell winning the Prince Of Wales Stakes first-up at Ascot on October 26
- Smoko ($5.50) – Ross Price-trained Snitzel four-year-old has won all five of their career starts to date, most recently over the 1200m at Ascot last Saturday, has started (and saluted) as the odds-on favourite in last four runs but yet to step up to black type company which will be the acid test
- Moment Of Change ($6) – Victorian raider trained by Peter Moody, lots of experience around the best in the business including their past three at Group 1 level, last start was on the weekend and produced a brave fourth to Buffering in the VRC Sprint Classic, Ascot track set to suit
- Power Princess ($7) – Simon Miller’s veteran local mare is always in these with a top chance, second to Barakey 12 months ago before winning her next two on the trot, returned for a first-up second (to Barakey again) in the Prince Of Wales which she won the previous year so form is there for another big run from the seven-year-old
- Spirit Of Boom ($9) – Tony Gollan-trained Queenslander won the Caulfield Sprint over Shamal Wind two back at Caulfield, always runs a hearty race and did that at Flemington on Derby Day when second with 59kg in a 1200m sprint down the straight
Following all at $14 are then Kelly Schweida’s last start Eagle Farm winner with 60.5kg Better Than Ready who was resuming off a six month break having run dead last in the Stradbroke, Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes winner Rebel Dane and Trevor Andrews’ recent black type winner at the track The Rising.
See below for the top 15 chances in the latest Winterbottom Stakes futures odds at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Want to get behind your favourite sprinter for the Perth Summer Racing Carnival classic but don’t have a Ladbrokes.com.au account?
It only takes a couple of minutes to sign-up with Australia’s head bookie, and when you do make sure you follow the prompts to enjoy a bonus welcome bet valued up to $500!
2013 Winterbottom Stakes Odds
Ascot Racecourse – 23/11/2013
|MOMENT OF CHANGE||6.00|
|SPIRIT OF BOOM||9.00|
|BETTER THAN READY||14.00|
|READY TO RIP||15.00|
*Fixed Win odds are all-in, top 15 only and subject to change @ Ladbrokes.com.au