Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
They’ve got the record over the distance that says they could be hard to beat but can William Mullins’ Irish raider Simenon get the job done in the world’s richest handicap when they run in the 2013 Melbourne Cup this week?
The visiting Marju gelding may be a seven-year-old, but their recent form is that of a horse much younger as they have been gearing up for a shot at the $6 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m).
Runner-up to Ahzeemah in the Group 2 Lonsdale Cup (3299m) at York in August, Simenon debuted down under on October 12 when a very close third to Sea Moon in the Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes (2400m).
Over the years that race has proved a nice Melbourne Cup form guide and the bookies agree as the Lloyd Williams-owned Herbert Power Stakes winner Sea Moon is a top chance for Tuesday paying $14.
A former top hurdler, Simenon is at a slightly more generous $16, or $32 for the savvy punters backing them in Ladbrokes.com.au’s ‘Double the Melbourne Cup Odds’.
They’ve flow right under the radar too, but the form experts have them in their sights and in their Melbourne Cup tips.
“This is a very underrated horse,” the Daily Telegraph quoted respected British racing expert Jim McGrath as saying.
“He is trained by one of Europe’s top trainer of jumpers, Willie Mullins, who is a superb horseman.
“Simenon should have nearly won the Herbert Power Stakes and this horse has got a good turn of foot.
“If you ask me, Simenon is without question the best value in the Melbourne Cup.”
So can Simenon become the sixth internationally-trained winner of the ‘race that stops a nation’? Or if you’re out for an upset Melbourne Cup result are there better fancies in this year’s field?
#19 Simenon – Horse Facts
- Barrier: 12
- Weight: 53.5kg
- Jockey: Richard Hughes
- Trainer: William Mullins
- Owners: Wicklow Bloodstock
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Marju (IRE) from Epistoliere (IRE)
- Career: 32-6-4-6
- Win: 19%
- Place: 50%
- Last 6: X4223
- Prize Money: $452,642
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 6-2-1-1
- Current 2013 Melbourne Cup Odds: $16
Why Simenon Can Win the Melbourne Cup 2013
- It works in their favour having had a previous run down under leading into the Cup as an overseas-trained galloper
- Have drawn well midfield in barrier 12 which gives their jockey options, however note the below hoodoo with this gate
- Boasts one of the best two mile records of the field (6-2-1-1)
- Cracking second defeated only a long neck by Ahzeemah in the Lonsdale Cup over the two miles last start overseas carrying 58.5kg
- Before that was a brave runner-up again from wide gate over 4023m in the Ascot Group 1 Gold Cup with 58kg
- Get into the Cup with only 53.5kg and should fly with that weight
- Debut down under was very promising over the mile and half when a length off Sea Moon in the Herbert Power with 56.5kg especially as they were hampered near the 2000m mark
- Go up in distance, down in weight, really worth a look
- Irish raiders have a good record with Dermot K Weld winning twice with Vintage Crop (1993) and Media Puzzle (2002)
Why Simenon Won’t be the 2013 Melbourne Cup Winner
- Only five horses trained outside of Australia and New Zealand have won the ‘Loving Trophy’ – two of those however have been in the last four years
- Barrier 12 hasn’t produced a Melbourne Cup winner
- No previous Flemington race experience
- Race as a seven-year-old here and that age group have one of the worst Melbourne Cup records
- Some of the other raiders could be worth a better look such as #21 Verema ($15) who won the Prix Kergorlay last start
If you fancy Simenon at their nice Melbourne Cup odds then head to Ladbrokes.com.au and get behind the Irish galloper at the best prices.
Plus, if you are new to sign-up and deposit with Ladbrokes.com.au before the Melbourne Cup jumps as Flemington Race 7 at 3:00pm (AEST) you’ll also enjoy a bonus bet on the house valued up to $500!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.