Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
2013 Victoria Derby odds on one-time favourite Complacent continue to ease with Peter Snowden’s Group 1 winning colt now right out to $6.50 in the markets for this afternoon’s major at Flemington.
The son of Authorized was clear favourite to win this year’s $1.5 million Group 1 AAMI Victoria Derby (2500m) in the pre-field markets following their decisive victory in the Group 1 Spring Champion Stakes (2000m) in Sydney.
A race that has produced a host of Victoria Derby winners in recent years, including two of the past three who ran in the race before a Melbourne lead-up, the Spring Champion was also Complacent’s final run before today.
They eased out in the Victoria Derby betting markets post-barrier draw however after the Darley-owned stallion in the making drew awkwardly with gate 16
With the two emergencies now officially withdrawn from the Victoria Derby field, Complacent and jockey Kerrin McEvoy will now jump from barrier 14 (of 16) and will need to be positive right from the jump to keep themselves in it.
In the latest Victoria Derby odds Complacent is at $6.50 to win, or $13 for punters taking advantage of Ladbrokes.com.au’s ‘Double The Odds’ offer on the classic.
That’s a notable drift from earlier in the week when they were at $5 for the upset over steady new favourite Savvy Nature.
Since the field and barrier announcement John O’Shea’s Savabeel gelding Savvy Nature has sat at the top of the markets paying $4.80 ($9.60 DTO), Kiwi expat James McDonald to ride them from barrier 11 which has produced three Derby winners in the past 30 years.
The other major players in the Victoria Derby markets and their price shifts include:
- #4 Polanski ($6.50 into $5.50) – By far the best backed horse in the field, Robbie Laing’s last start Norman Robinson Stakes winner is after their third on the trot and has the right lead-up form, barrier (1) and jockey (Hugh Bowman) to do so
- #6 San Diego ($6.50 out to $7) – Snowden’s Norman Robinson runner-up out to turn the tables on their last start conqueror, their better-fancied stablemate and the favourite when jumping from gate six with Steven Arnold in the saddle
- #1 Criterion ($9 out to $10) – Drifting price on the David Payne-trained Spring Champion runner-up who like Complacent hasn’t had a lead-up run in Melbourne, needs to handle the distance increase (like they all do) but should be ready to do so after a little freshen-up
- #10 Tupac Amaru ($16 out to $20) – We named this Geelong Classic runner-up as one of our top three Victoria Derby selections and still think they can challenge the favourites over this distance even if no one else is saying they can!
- #11 Pinstripe Lane ($19 out to $21) – John Sadler-trained local was fourth here behind Polanski in the UCI Stakes two back before their third to Savvy Nature in the Vase last start, has form around the top chances then and the ability to run top three with the right luck from nice gate three draw
Full Victoria Derby double the odds markets are listed below so you can lock in the guaranteed best prices on today’s feature race at the click of a button following the links on your favourites to Ladbrokes.com.au.
Remember too that Ladbrokes.com.au are rewarding new sign-ups today with a bonus Derby Day bet valued up to $500 so don’t miss out, join the country’s fastest growing bookmaker today!
2013 Victoria Derby Betting – Double The Odds
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.