Final acceptances revealing the capacity 24-horse Melbourne Cup field 2013 have officially been announced with the stayers lining up in the 153rdedition of the ‘race that stops a nation’ now known.
Let the betting begin on the $6.2 million Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m), scheduled as Flemington Race 7 at 3:00pm (AEST) next Tuesday November 5, the punters are saying after the field was released by Racing Victoria at the end of Derby Day.
A total of 35 horses were paid up for when the final stage of declarations closed at 4:30pm (AEST) this afternoon, 12 of the second acceptors dropping out.
There were a number of notable non-acceptors from those assured of a start in the world’s richest handicap including the Chris Waller-trained duo of Kelinni and Moriarty.
Notable 2013 Melbourne Cup Defectors
- Kelinni (Chris Waller): fourth in the race 12 months ago but after 10th in today’s Lexus Stakes didn’t make the cut for another go in 2013
- Moriarty (Chris Waller): Improved on their Caulfield Cup 10th today when third behind Side Glance in the Mackinnon, but it wasn’t enough to convince Waller they could win the Cup
- Mr Moet (Adam Durrant): Group 1 winning Perth raider was fourth in the Mackinnon today but not backing up, instead heading home to defend their title
- Silent Achiever (Roger James): 2013 New Zealand Derby winning mare ruled out on Friday having had an elevated temperature to go with the 11 stitches she required after enduring cuts to her leg during the Caulfield Cup last start
There were also a few surprise acceptors.
Today’s Lexus Stakes winner Ruscello, previous equal 43rd on the Melbourne Cup order of entry before their ballot exempt win, was one who had earlier been ruled out as a chance.
The Ed Walker-trained British raider was at $151 before their Lexus success, but firmed into $26 after news connections would give them a shot in the classic in three days’ time.
Triple Melbourne Cup winning jockey Glen Boss was offered the ride but refused, allowing for Cox Plate winning apprentice Chad Schofield to get a go.
Notable 2013 Melbourne Cup Acceptors
- Fiorente (Gai Waterhouse): one of two for Sydney’s leading lady of racing who is after her maiden Melbourne Cup win, was runner-up in their Australian debut last year and pre-post favourite to improve by one despite the history books saying it can’t be done; Waterhouse also accepted for French import Tres Blue
- Mount Athos (Luca Cumani): equal pre-final field favourite with Fiorente in the Melbourne Cup odds, ran fifth in the race behind Green Moon 12 months ago and reports are they’ve been trialing well for English horseman Luca Cumani, hasn’t had a lead-up run though so that could be their downfall here
- Verema (Alain de Royer Dupre): French-trained mare prepared by the same man who won the 2010 Melbourne Cup with Americain, she hasn’t run down under before but her last two efforts back home were winning ones including over Joshua Tree in the Group 2 Prix Kergorlay over 3000m which has proved good form for the Flemington 3200m
- Voleuse De Coeurs (Michael Moroney): former Irish galloper will debut in Australia for their new local trainer in the Cup, won the Irish St Leger over 2800m in mid-September carrying 61kg so with just 54kg in the Melbourne Cup the money is sure to come for them
- Dandino (Marco Botti): another of the internationals looking to be the next outside of Australian and New Zealand to take home the ‘Loving Trophy’, this Dansili seven-year-old won the USA St Leger (2700m) in August then travelled to Oz where they ran a nice second in the Caulfield Cup first-up
- Sea Moon (Robert Hickmott): one of six Melbourne Cup acceptors for owner Lloyd Williams, first past the post in their latest two runs but a protest means they officially only won the Herbert Power, that was their final run and they are well supported to step up and be competitive on the first Tuesday of November
- Dear Demi (Clarry Conners): genuine champion mare in the making, the four-year-old daughter of Dehere was third in the Caulfield Cup as a $26 shot from barrier 18 of 18 two back, ran a very brave second in the Mackinnon today and will appreciate the trip from whatever gate she gets
- Hawkspur (Chris Waller): one of the last two Chris Waller-trained Cup hopes to represent the in-form horseman, Queensland Derby winner as a three-year-old earlier in the year, hit and miss this time in with the Caulfield Cup seventh their most recent effort; Waller also accepted for Foreteller
- Seville (Robert Hickmott): another of the Williams-owned clan, won The Metropolitan two back before a Cox Plate seventh from the Galileo six-year-old who has won just two of their 19 career starts to date
- Royal Empire (Saeed Bin Suroor): shot for Godolphin this year, Teofilo stallion is another racing in Australia for the first time on Tuesday, form in England has been good including a last start second last month over 2400m at Ascot carrying 58.5kg, in with 54kg for next week
Along with Green Moon the other former Melbourne Cup winner in the mix this year is then Dunaden.
Mikel Delzangles’ Nicobar eight-year-old has a number of hoodoos to overcome to win the race for a second time, however connections think they are deserving of a shot even though they beat home just one other runner in the final lead-up back home.
The horse they beat home in the closest Melbourne Cup quinella in history two years ago, Red Cadeaux, is also back this year coming off a fourth to Voleuse De Coeurs in the Irish St Leger.
Our number one recommended online bookie Ladbrokes.com.au are offering the hottest Melbourne Cup betting offer of any sportsbook down under, DOUBLE the fixed win odds on the final field.
So don’t miss out, lock in your Melbourne Cup tips at the best prices online by opening your Ladbrokes.com.au account today!
2013 Melbourne Cup Final Field
Flemington Race 7 – 3:00pm (AEST) – 05/11/1985
|1||DUNADEN (FR)||Mikel Delzangles||58.5kg|
|2||GREEN MOON (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||57.5kg|
|3||RED CADEAUX (GB)||Ed Dunlop||56.5kg|
|4||SEA MOON (GB)||Robert Hickmott||56.5kg|
|5||BROWN PANTHER (GB)||Tom Dascombe||55kg|
|6||FIORENTE (IRE)||Gai Waterhouse||55kg|
|7||FORETELLER (GB)||Chris Waller||55kg|
|8||DANDINO (GB)||Marco Botti||54.5kg|
|11||MOURAYAN (IRE)||Robert Hickmott||54.5kg|
|12||SEVILLE (GER)||Robert Hickmott||54.5kg|
|13||SUPER COOL||Mark Kavanagh||54.5kg|
|14||MASKED MARVEL (GB)||Robert Hickmott||54kg|
|15||MOUNT ATHOS (IRE)||Luca Cumani||54kg|
|16||ROYAL EMPIRE (IRE)||Saeed Bin Suroor||54kg|
|17||VOLEUSE DE COEURS (IRE)||Michael Moroney||54kg|
|19||SIMENON (IRE)||William Mullins||53.5kg|
|20||IBICENCO (GER)||Peter G Moody||53kg|
|21||VEREMA (FR)||Alain de Royer Dupre||53kg|
|22||DEAR DEMI||Clarry Conners||51kg|
|23||TRES BLUE (IRE)||Gai Waterhouse||51kg|
|24||RUSCELLO (IRE)||Ed Walker||50kg|