One of the quartet of elite level races headlining a bumper nine-race Victoria Derby Day program at Flemington this Saturday is the 2013 Coolmore Stud Stakes for three-year-old sprinters, the Races.com.au’s form guide preview found below.
There are 11 horses engaged for this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Coolmore Stud Stakes (1200m), the clear favourite of which is Chris Waller’s Golden Rose hero Zoustar.
The son of ill-fated sire Northern Meteor remains at an odd-on price to back up from their big four and a half length Group 2 Roman Consul Stakes (1200m) win at Randwick from October 5 and win again here.
Sitting top of the Coolmore Stud Stakes odds at $1.90, Zoustar is set to be ridden from barrier 10 with jockey Jim Cassidy shooting for his 100th Group 1 triumph in the race.
There is only one other runner under double figures in the Coolmore Stud Stakes markets with Zoustar then, Liam Birchely’s last start winning mare Missy Longstocking ($9) well supported by the punters.
Also in the mix are the likes of Gai Waterhouse’s Caulfield Guineas runner-up Divine Calling ($11) and the Peter Snowden-trained Sidestep ($12).
But are the best in betting also the ones the Coolmore Stud Stakes historical facts and form guide stats reveal as the best to back?
2013 Coolmore Stud Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Coolmore Stud Stakes winner was the John Thompson-trained mare Nechita who ran a last-start sixth in the Golden Rose, jumped from barrier three (of 11) and was ridden by Christian Reith
- This year Thompson is after back-to-back wins with #11 Thump ($17)
- They are one of three fillies looking to score another for their kind along with #9 Missy Longstocking ($9) and #10 Villa Verde ($20) with a total of 11 fillies having won the race this century, seven in the past 30 years and six of those since 2000
- Last year’s winning barrier (3) meanwhile belongs to #4 Divine Calling ($11)
- The most successful Coolmore Stud Stakes barriers with five wins each meanwhile are eight and nine drawn this year by #7 Thermal Current ($15) and #10 Villa Verde ($20) respectively
- There are five last start winners in the mix with #1 Zoustar (Group 2 Roman Consul Stakes, 1200m, Randwick, 05/10/2013), #5 Lion Of Belfort (Blue Sapphire, 1200m, Caulfield, 12/10/2013), #7 Thermal Current (Group 3 Red Anchor Stakes, 1200m, Moonee Valley, 26/10/2013), #9 Missy Longstocking (Group 3 Thoroughbred Club Stakes, 1200m, Caulfield, 12/10/2013) and #11 Thump (Group 3 Champagne, 1200m, 27/09/2013)
- The most successful jockey in the Coolmore Stud Stakes in recent years has been Damien Oliver with three wins: Alinghi (2004), North Boy (2001) and Racer’s Edge (1994); he is back in 2013 after a quartet with #5 Lion Of Belfort ($13)
- There is mixed lead-up form for Coolmore winners with the past seven all coming via different last-start races
- Favourites have an ace record in the race with a 2009 upset by Headway the only time the punters’ pick hasn’t won since 2006 when it became a Group 1 and moved to Derby Day; this year the favourite is #1 Zoustar ($1.90)
- #1 Zoustar comes via the same race (the Roman Consul) that Gold Edition won in 2006 when the race was first run as a Group 1
- #5 Lion Of Belfort ($13) boasts the best Win Rate of the field with 75% followed by #9 Missy Longstocking (73%), #1 Zoustar (71%), #8 Not Listenin’tome (67%) and #6 Éclair Big Bang (60%)
- The highest Place Rates then belong to #5 Lion Of Belfort (100%) and #8 Notlistenin’tome (100%) who are yet to finish out of the money followed by #1 Zoustar (86%), #7 Thermal Current (86%), #9 Missy Longstocking (82%), #6 Éclair Big Bang (80%) and #4 Divine Calling (75%)
- #10 Villa Verde (1-1-0-0) is the only one with a previous Flemington win on their record
- Previous winners over the distance are then #9 Missy Longstocking (6-4-0-1), #5 Lion Of Belfort (2-2-0-0), #11 Thump (5-2-1-1), #1 Zoustar (2-1-0-0), #2 Sidestep (5-1-2-0), #3 Fast ‘n’ Rocking (4-1-2-0), #7 Thermal Current (2-1-0-1) and #8 Not Listeninto’me (2-1-1-0)
Our exclusive Coolmore Stud Stakes 2013 tips and betting selections will be made public knowledge shortly so make sure you stay tuned.
In the meantime get the guaranteed best Derby Day odds on your early selections online at Ladbrokes.com.au – home of the famous $500 bonus sign-up bet offer!