Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
There are 14 mares ready to face off in one of the major Victoria Derby Day support races at Flemington on Saturday, the Myer Classic 2013, a detailed form guide and betting analysis for which can be found below.
With betting led by Chris Waller’s Tattersall’s Tiara winner Red Tracer, the $500,000 Group 1 Myer Classic (1600m) is set to run as Derby Day Race 7 at 3:45pm (AEST).
Coming off a win in the Tristarc Stakes, six-year-old Red Tracer pays $2.35 in the latest Myer Classic odds to improve on her 10th in the race 12 months ago and get the job done despite her wide barrier 10 draw.
She’s followed in the Myer Classic betting markets then by just two other single-figure chances with Rob Heathcote’s Brisbane-based mare Fire Up Fifi ($7) on the rails and Sydney’s Sharnee Rose ($9.50) vying for her third on the trot this time in.
So should punters lock in the three under $10 to run the Myer Classic trifecta?
Or is there more value further down the markets form the likes of Waller’s other in-form runner Catkins ($12) or Zonza ($14) who is another coming off back-to-back victories?
To help you make the winning Myer Classic selections for Saturday’s we’ve gone over the form guide and betting history to come up with the below must know facts and stats on the mares-only feature.
2013 Myer Classic Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Myer Classic winner was the Guy Walter-trained Appearance who come via a seventh in the Group 2 Tristarc Stakes (1400m), jumped from barrier 13 (of 13) and was ridden by Michael Rodd
- Appearance went out as a 40-1 outsider with punters preferring her stablemate Streama (paid $2.80 and ran 8th)
- This year the Chris Waller-trained #1 Red Tracer ($2.35) is the favourite with their stablemate #3 Catkins at double figures ($12) – could history repeat itself?
- Last year’s winning barrier (13) will on Saturday belong to #8 Thy ($51) while Rodd doesn’t have a ride in 2013
- Barrier 11 is the most successful in the past 30 years with three Myer Classic winners and belongs on Saturday to #3 Catkins
- Mares coming via a run in this year’s Tristarc Stakes are then #1 Red Tracer (1st), #9 Ava’s Delight (3rd), #2 Fire Up Fifi (5th), #10 You’re So Good (6th), #12 Molto Bene (10th) and #5 Xanadu (15th)
- 17 Tristarc Stakes winners have backed up in the Myer Classic with just two completing the double: Mingling Glances (1993) and Typhoon Tracy (2009); #1 Red Tracer is out to be the third
- The best Win Rate of the field belongs to #3 Catkins (50%) followed by their better fancied stablemate #1 Red Tracer (42%) and #2 Fire Up Fifi (38%)
- The best Place Rate meanwhile belongs to #14 Zonza (85%) followed by #1 Red Tracer (81%), #3 Catkins (81%), #5 Xanadu (65%) and #9 Ava’s Delight (59%)
- There are four last start winners in the field with #1 Red Tracer (Group 2 Tristarc Stakes, 1400m, Caulfield, 19/10/2013), #3 Catkins (Group 3 Tesio Stakes, 1600m, Moonee Valley, 26/10/2013), #4 Sharnee Rose (Group 3 Angst Stakes, 1600m, Randwick, 12/10/2013), and #14 Zonza (Group 3 Ladies Day Vase, 1600m, Caulfield, 16/10/2013)
- Being a last-start winner actually works against mares in the Myer Classic with just one last-start winner taking out the Derby Day race with Typhoon Tracy (2009)
- Four-year-olds have the best record in the race with nine wins over the past 18 years; this year the 4YO’s lining up are #3 Catkins ($12), #9 Ava’s Delight ($21), #10 You’re So Good ($51), #12 Molto Bene ($18) and #13 Cameo ($34)
- At Flemington the mares with a previous win at the track are: #6 Bonariar (7-2-1-1), #7 Zurella (3-1-0-0), #2 Fire Up Fifi (1-1-0-0) and #12 Molto Bene (2-1-0-0)
- Over the distance those with the best record are: #14 Zonza (5-3-1-0), #5 Xanadu (7-3-0-2), #6 Bonaria (5-2-1-0), #7 Zurella (4-2-0-0), #8 Thy (3-2-1-0), #13 Cameo (4-2-1-0), #2 Fire Up Fifi (5-2-1-0), #9 Ava’s Delight (3-1-1-0), #10 You’re So Good (2-1-1-0), #3 Catkins (1-1-0-0) and #4 Sharnee Rose (2-1-0-1)
- Four favourites have saluted in the past 10 years with #1 Red Tracer out to become the next
The Races.com.au crew will be publishing their insider Myer Classic 2013 betting tips shortly so now is the time to sign-up with our No. 1 recommended bookie Ladbrokes.com.au to get ready for the action.
When you do join Ladbrokes.com.au make sure to also check out their exclusive Double The Odds offer on Saturday’s 2013 Victoria Derby!
2013 Myer Classic Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.