Unsurprisingly Chris Waller’s flying three-year-old Zoustar has opened top of the Coolmore Stud Stakes 2013 odds opening in the red to make it three on the trot this preparation.
Scheduled as the opening of four Group 1 races on the Victoria Derby Day program at Flemington this Saturday, the $500,000 Coolmore Stud Stakes (1200m) has attracted a classy line-up of 11 hopefuls.
None look as good on paper, or on race day, however as Waller’s Northern Meteor colt Zoustar.
A possible runner at Royal Ascot next year, the talented galloper enjoyed a Group 1 win two back in Sydney when beating them home in the Group 1 Golden Rose Stakes (1400m) in mid-September.
Despite having saluted over the 1400m that day, Waller knew his horse was more suited to the sprints and opted not to test them over the mile for Melbourne’s Group 1 Caulfield Guineas next start.
Instead he kept them in Sydney and Zoustar enjoyed a confidence boosting four and a half length victory in the Group 2 Roman Consul Stakes (1200m) on October 5.
Now they run in Melbourne for the first time off a three week freshen up on Saturday paying $1.85 in the current Coolmore Stud Stakes odds despite their wide barrier 10 draw.
Incredibly there are no other runners in the field under $10 in betting to score an upset Coolmore Stud Stakes result.
The next best at juicy odds are then:
- #4 Divine Calling ($11) – Gai Waterhouse-trained Stratum grey won back-to-back Moonee Valley races in September, including the Group 2 Stutt Stakes (1600m) where they defeated subsequent Cox Plate winner Shamus Award, before running second to Long John in the Caulfield Guineas, will the drop back in distance here suit or be too sharp?
- #9 Missy Longstocking ($11) – Early money coming in for Liam Birchely’s Brisbane-based mare looking to go back-to-back for the females following Nechita’s win 12 months ago, nice gate six draw with Damien Browne to ride and earned a shot after winning her two opening runs this time in most recently the Group 3 Thoroughbred Club Stakes (1200m) on Caulfield Guineas Day
- #2 Sidestep ($12) – Rails draw for Peter Snowden’s Exceed And Excel colt who was fourth in the Golden Rose last time out back on September 14, also runner-up in the Golden Slipper back in April so has class, needs to improve obviously but they finished ahead of Zoustar in a jumpout last week indicating they were on track to give the favourite a run for their money
- #5 Lion Of Belfort ($13) – Class rise here for the ultra-consistent Statue Of Liberty colt prepared by Mick Price who is after win number four from five starts, last three efforts have all been winning ones most recently defeating Safeguard, not accepted for the Coolmore, in the Blue Sapphire over 1200m on October 12 at Caulfield
- #8 Not Listenin’tome ($13) – John Hawkes-trained up-and-comer won opening two starts at Bendigo and Ballarat respectively before traveling to Moonee Valley last Saturday to run second to Thermal Current, a $16 chance for Saturday, in the Red Anchor Stakes
Outside of Zoustar to win it really is an open bag for this year’s Coolmore with the only horses above $20 in the markets being Éclair Big Bang ($21) and one time Guineas fancy Fast ‘N’ Rocking ($34).
See below for the full Coolmore Stud Stakes 2013 odds, prices you can lock in on your favourites right now by following the links to Ladbrokes.com.au – home of the famous $500 bonus welcome bet offer this spring!