Shamus Award has the opportunity make history and become the first maiden to record their first race victory in the Group 1 Cox Plate (2040m) when he contests the race at Moonee Valley on Saturday.
The inclusion of Shamus Award in the 2013 Cox Plate field has not been particularly well-received but the three-year-old has performed strongly this preparation without breaking through for a win; finishing an unlucky second in the Group 2 Stutt Stakes (1600m) at Moonee Valley and third behind Long John in the Group 1 Caulfield Guineas (1600m).
Three-year-olds have performed fairly in the Cox Plate and Shamus Award is looking to replicate the feat of So You Think in 2009 who won the Cox Plate after failing to win the Caulfield Guineas.
Will Shamus Award justify his inclusion in the 2013 Cox Plate field with a strong performance or will he maintain his status as one of the best maidens in Australia?
#15 Shamus Award – Horse Form
- Barrier: 3
- Jockey: Chad Schofield
- Trainer: Danny O’Brien
- Owners: Pastoral Company Pty LTD
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Snitzel From Sunset Express
- Career: 9 0-3-4
- Win: 0%
- Place: 78%
- Last 5: X2723
- Prize Money: $262,500
- Track: 3 0-2-1
- Distance: 0 0-0-0
- Current 2013 Caulfield Cup Odds: $21 ($42 DTO)
Why Shamus Award Can Win The 2013 Cox Plate
- Has performed well this preparation and is coming off an unlucky placing in the Caulfield Guineas.
- Three-year-olds, particularly those that didn’t win the Caulfield Guineas, have a fair record in the Cox Plate.
- Will carry the bottom weight of 49.5kg.
- Has run well at two previous starts at Moonee Valley.
- Finished in the placings in 78% of his career starts.
Why Shamus Award Won’t Win The 2013 Cox Plate
- Is yet to record a victory in seven career starts and steps up in class significantly.
- Stepping up to 2040 metres for the first time in his career.
- Jockey Chad Schofield is making his debut in the Cox Plate.
- Does not have the quality of other three-year-olds that have been successful in the Cox Plate.
- Has a habit of getting himself in trouble during races.
Online bookie Ladbrokes.com.au is offering Double The Odds on every runners in the 2013 Cox Plate so you can back Shamus Award at the industry-high odds of $42!
Sign-up and deposit at Ladbrokes.com.au this weekend to receive a free bet worth up to $500 as well as take advantage of the incredible Double The Odds offer.