There are 35 sprinters still heading towards a run in the 2013 Patinack Farm Classic on the final day of the Melbourne Cup Carnival this November following the release of first acceptances for the Emirates Stakes Day feature.
Scheduled to run on Saturday November 9, this year’s Patinack Farm Classic is registered as the $1 million VRC Sprint (1200m) and originally attracted 60 nominations.
That figure has been cut by nearly half today following the first declarations, race favourite Zoustar still in the mix.
The Chris Waller-trained Northern Meteor colt won the Group 1 Golden Rose Stakes (1400m) in mid-September and then backed up with a blistering four and a half length effort in the Group 2 Roman Consul Stakes (1200m) at the start of the month.
After that run Waller declared them a chance for the Patinack and backed that up by accepting for them today, but their final acceptance is still not a sure thing.
“I’m very aware of not asking too much of this horse this preparation,” Waller told the Sydney Morning Herald.
“I have looked at the Patinack as an option but it would mean dropping back from a mile to 1200m in a couple of runs.
“If it was 1400m, like the All Aged Stakes at the end of the Sydney carnival, it would be a no-brainer. We will see how he is before planning anything.”
Sydney’s premier trainer Waller could play a very nice hand in the VRC Sprint this year too.
He’s also accepted for:
- Last start Group 2 winning mare Arinosa
- The flying Boban who has won their past four on the trot including the Group 1 Epsom Handicap (1600m) two back
- Group 1 champion mare Red Tracer who took out the Tristarc Stakes last weekend
The other most notable Patinack Farm Classic acceptors will all face off in this Friday night’s $1 million Group 1 Manikato Stakes (1200m) under the lights at Moonee Valley.
The top Manikato runners on way to the Patinack are:
- Mick Price’s last start Moir Stakes winner Samaready
- Hong Kong raider Lucky Nine who is set to be 100 percent by November
- Rob Heathcote’s perennial Group 1 placegetter Buffering
Other sprinters high up the tight Patinack Farm Classic betting markets accepted for today then include:
- Nikki Burke’s consistent Stratum gelding Unpretentious who won the Schillaci Stakes over 1000m at Caulfield this month with a big 58.5kg impost
- Last start Group 1 Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes winner Rebel Dane who runs in the Manikato this weekend and who must prove their form over 1200m coming back from 1400m
- The Peter Snowden-trained Commands stallion Epaulette, winner of the Doomben 10,000 over 1350m back in May, out to improve on their Moir Stakes seventh first-up
- Dual Group 1 Adelaide winner Platelet who was in the winners’ stall at Flemington after the Gilgai Stakes on October 5 before their credible fifth in the Caulfield Sprint last weekend when carrying the hefty 59kg top weight
The full list of Patinack Farm or VRC Sprint Classic first acceptances can be found below.
The 2013 Patinack Farm Classic final field is due for release on Wednesday November 6 at 10:00am (AEST) with Races.com.au one of the first out with the final acceptors.
In the meantime why not enjoy access to the spring’s premier range of horse racing odds and betting promos by opening your Ladbrokes.com.au account.
You’ll be instantly rewarded with a bonus welcome bet valued up to $500 and have access to their exclusive DOUBLE THE COX PLATE ODDS offer running for this Saturday!
2013 Patinack Farm Classic First Declarations
Flemington Racecourse – 09/11/2013
|1||122-67043-35||ALBRECHT (BLKS)||=1||Peter Snowden||12-2-2-3||98|
|2||21121-0114-1||ARINOSA (BLKS)||=1||Chris Waller||28-9-4-1||108|
|3||49-1579-132-6||BEL SPRINTER||=1||Jason Warren||17-7-2-1||110|
|6||2-1168-1432-2||BUFFERING (BLKS)||=1||Robert Heathcote||35-12-9-5||112|
|8||04025178-31||DIAMOND EARTH||=1||Anthony Cummings||19-5-3-1||N/A|
|10||442255-2107||FAST ‘N’ ROCKING (BLKS)||=1||David Hayes||11-1-3-0||90|
|12||3-46230-81-73||GALAH (BLKS)||=1||Peter Snowden||19-5-2-4||102|
|13||132-41111-6-||HAPPY GALAXY||=1||Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes||9-5-1-1||100|
|14||30-51551471-||LUCKY NINE||=1||Caspar Fownes||34-12-7-5||118|
|15||1113-4191-11||MISSY LONGSTOCKING (BLKS)||=1||Liam Birchley||11-8-0-1||94|
|16||1-131-2205-24||MOMENT OF CHANGE||=1||Peter G Moody||15-5-3-3||108|
|17||0-161154624||PAGO ROCK||=1||David Hayes||23-10-4-0||102|
|20||111-1240-141||REBEL DANE||=1||Gary Portelli||10-6-1-0||109|
|21||0-2122011-21||RED TRACER (BLKS)||=1||Chris Waller||31-13-7-5||112|
|25||1-103209-152||SHAMAL WIND||=1||Robert Smerdon||11-4-2-1||99|
|27||3-2012-404||SIDESTEP (BLKS)||=1||Peter Snowden||8-1-2-1||94|
|28||9-1136-318-88||SNITZEM (BLKS)||=1||Leon Corstens||11-3-0-3||91|
|29||3662644-321||SPIRIT OF BOOM||=1||Tony Gollan||43-7-9-6||107|
|30||78-114070-34||STEPS IN TIME||=1||John O’Shea||22-8-1-2||106|
|31||550-7570-228||TEMPLE OF BOOM (BLKS)||=1||Tony Gollan||42-10-6-6||106|
|32||111-4110-7||THE PEAK||=1||Bart & James Cummings||8-5-0-0||93|
|34||11-270-24||VILLA VERDE||=1||Shaun Dwyer||7-2-2-0||82|